cannot get afterburner to load after installing quadfire

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by steamboat, Jun 15, 2011.

1. steamboat

steamboat Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6950
    my original setup was two 6950's w/ modified shader unlocked 6950 bios in crossfire. i had afterburner 210 running smoothly w/ overclocking unlocked and humming along nicely. i added two more cards and flashed them as well. CCC and gpuz recognize all 4 cards, but i'm getting a "failed to initialize display driver wrapper" notice whenever i try to start afterburner.

i have uninstalled afterburner, rebooted, installed, rebooted, no go
    uninstalled afterburner, reboot, uninstall CCC reboot, driversweeper everything, reboot, reinstall w/ reboots in between CCC, afterburner, still no go

i've tried 11.4 and 11.5 CCC in combination w/ 210 beta 7 up to 220b3 afterburner, and cannot seem to get it to work. any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

The message means that some display driver's components (atiadlxx.dll and atiadlxy.dll for AMD, nvapi.dll for NVIDIA) are not installed properly. Correct driver installation is the only way to fix it.

3. steamboat

steamboat Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6950
    after further testing i can get afterburner to load and recognize tri-fire, still no luck w/ quad. is there something simple i'm missing? do i need to put the ribbons on a specific way or run my displays through a specific card? i have no clue why msi won't load when the 4th card is plugged in.

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I also have no clues why AMD ADL SDK libraries installation is getting corrupted on your system with 4 cards. That's a question for AMD, not for MSI.

5. steamboat

steamboat Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6950
    it was a registry corruption issue, all sorted now. thanks

6. Thoro

Thoro Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6870 1 GB x 4
    Hi steamboat,

I have the same issue, could you describe what you did??

It's really annoying ^^

7. muxalot

muxalot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD 6870
    Me too... been pulling my hair out the last two days.

8. Thoro

Thoro Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6870 1 GB x 4
    I've found a way to get it working - I exchange one XFX with a Sappire, afterwards it works - and I have no idea why!

probably the 4.th card of the same type screws up the driver

9. muxalot

muxalot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD 6870
    I tried 3 HIS and 1 XFX but no luck. Gonna try swapping in a 5870 tomorrow.

10. Thoro

Thoro Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6870 1 GB x 4
    The HIS and the XFX are the same cards (reference design etc) - my sapphire was different, I also was unable to clock down the RAM at all with only XFX, but got it working with the additonal Sapphire, now I can change Core Voltage, Core Clock, Memory Clock and Fanspeed

11. muxalot

muxalot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD 6870
    It worked with the 5870! Thanks a lot.

12. Reilentless

Reilentless Guest

GPU:
    2x VTX HD6870x2
    This maybe an old post but for those that encounter this issue any time now or in the near future here is a simple way of getting it working without pulling your hair out of having to change gpu brands.

Step1: uninstall all drivers whether it be nvidia or ati

Step2: before rebooting after the uninstall click on "No" to restart now

Step3: go to device manager and uninstall remaining device drivers under display adapters then reboot

Step4: once your pc reloads into windows let it auto detect the device drivers required for your specified video card and let the auto install complete

Step5: once that complete launch your driver installation (latest preferably) and let that complete then reboot

Step6: once your pc loads back into windows again you'll notice afterburner will load as per normal

Kapish, all done!

Note: Took me 2hrs of installing, uninstalling and random BSOD before i figured this out :( - also i'm using 2x VTX HD6870x2 in quadfire