Doom fans "will be happy" with Doom 4...

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by kanej2007, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Miniouse

Miniouse Guest

GPU:
    2x 6950 xfx
    Nor do you see arms or legs while driving ( hl2)

This reminds me of the Serious Sam games.

I think the game looks pretty good and sounds cool with a total different story, but it looks too much like Fallout, then again I'm pretty sure I saw Bethesda in there lol.

Does anyone remember the game "Unreal 2 the Awakening" They need to make a sequel to that.

But all in all I'm looking forward to this one

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I also hope Doom 4 is not a console port. Doom 3 was very stable & perfect with regards to performance and hopefully Doom 4 will follow...

3. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    The main problem I had playing Doom 3 was that I had played Doom and Doom II prior to playing it. The transition from twitch shooter to horror just... it was flat to me. That and the Labs sections of the game dragged on seemingly forever. I also missed pitting the enemies against each other like in the earlier games. Nothing like popping off a round from the pistol, shutting the door, and listen to the room fall into anarchy then walk back in and clean house with the BFG. I guess we'll find out soon enough whether or not they're blowing smoke again.

4. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    +1

I also missed firing one shot in an empty corridor and then wait until some guys poked their heads out.

iD kinda destroyed the original gameplay when they made 99% of all monsters teleport right into your room rather than just placing them somewhere to wait until you come around.

5. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    Yeah!!! Doom 4. Bring it on.! ....... Only, no more teleporting monsters this time. Thankyou.

6. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    I think you're confusing D2 with Quake. It was Quake where twitch shooting really "took off". Since jumping became much more of part of the game-play (part due to the flawed physics in Quake engines which gives it the signature circle-jumps).
    Duke3D however really could need a mouse(More height differences in level design). While D2 could literally be played with just the numpad (which i have), same for Descent btw :nerd:.

Tho i'm a fan of IDsoftware, Doom3 was really a huge disappointment. So at this point, Doom4 could only be better than D3 was.
    But still to this day, Q3 engine feel the most solid base for a MP game. IDT4 felt rather more like a step back in terms of responsiveness of the games in MP - D3, Q3, Prey, ETQW - with Wolfenstein probably the most atrocious MP game ever conceived on the IDT4 engine.

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yeah, Doom 3 was OK but could have been better. I however liked the dark atmosphere, enemies, weapons, etc...

Hopefully they will improve on this in Doom 4 and bring back some of the classic stuff from the original dooms.

It would be nice to see a whole new engine too, not just an improved or tweaked engine...

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i bet if they would bring back the classic stuff , there will be allot of rage.

9. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Didn't really play Quake so I'm not quite sure how I could confuse myself over what I said. I stand by it though. Doom and Doom II were all about quickly shooting things and Doom 3 was all about wandering corridors waiting to shoot things.

10. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Yes, and I liked it and remember it quite well mostly because of the ending which wasn't typical Hollywood stuff.

11. Zen0

Zen0 Master Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Nice :D

I just hope it's not a horror game.

12. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    Yeah the ending was pretty sad, and original.

13. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
  14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Think they are referring to the console versions, as they mention the fight to make Rage 60fps on consoles.

I'm guessing they sacrificed image quality in Rage, but don't want to in Doom4.

PC will run as fast as our hardware allows, im pretty sure of that.

15. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
    sure hope so! fingers crossed!

16. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Loved Doom3 will be getting D4 for sure!

17. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    OK, in that case. You and I have a very different idea of what "twitch shooter" mean.

Personally for me, one of the requirement for a FPS to be considered "twitch shooter" is agile and fast player movement (with jumping being an important part of the game-play). Think of Quake(World,1,2,3,4), UT(99,2003,2004,3), Warsow, Nexuiz and UrbanTerror.
    Without fast and agile movement, if you have a high mouse sensitivity, every FPS could be called "twitch shooter".

18. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    It's twitch in that if it moves you shoot it. There's no thinking involved, it's all reaction, hence twitch response. Sorry about using a term in a way you don't like. Guess I'll just have to reevaluate my grasp on the English language and change it whenever someone has a different view of definitions.

19. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
  20. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    No you are right. But what you're describing is a twitch/flick-shot. Which you can do with pretty much any fps games out there, especially if you are using a mouse high sens or mouse accel (but not necessary).

And also, i actually <3 twitch shooters. But i make a distinction between shooters where you can flick-shot and shooters where you have to flick-shot.
    FPS which i personally considers twitch shooters all have fast movements. So even if you expect them to pop around the corner, their movement could be that fast (moving away from your crosshair) that you need a "twitch reaction" to track/aim at them.
    Sure, you could be doing all day long flick shots in <insert fps game> because you keep getting flanked (while camping). But that's imo not what twitch shooters are about.