Your "How you became a gamer" story

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Mkilbride, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    I got interested when i got an atari 2600 in 82 or 83. Then I got a NES and a Sega Genesis later on. Then in 95 or so, my best friend was telling me about Doom at the bus stop. I didn't understand what he was talking about, but when I saw it, my mind was blown.

Finally by 97 (when I graduated high school) my parents bought me a computer for college (bad mistake). I've been hooked ever since, although lately I've been kinda "meh" with the state of games. When was the last time someone made a game with the replayability of Diablo 2 or something like that?

2. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    New Vegas and Mass Effect 2 are good titles for replayability.

3. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Well, I suppose about 1987 I got a C64 for christmas. I had already played some games on the NES, a friends C64 and Atari 2600. But wanted my own.

I used to try do the little programming thingy's in the C64 manual ha! Tonnes of games for that, and I was hooked (you could even rent out C64 games back then, I remember renting The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for a weekend and finishing it!).

I then got a SNES for my birthday I think in about 1993. oved it. Played Super Mario World like every day for hours until I finished it, and found all the hidden stuff. Then Mario Kart (man that is still one of my fav all time games!), and Super Bomberman were my favourites, along with Super Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat 2.

In about 1994 I decided I wanted a PC. I searched until I found a decent one, and sold my SNES to fund the purchase of a 386SX 16 with 4MB ram, and a 40MB HDD.

I used to buy all the PC mags with game demo's on them and play them.

In about 1994 I built my first PC, 'twas a glorious AMD 486DX4-100, and I quickly learned that it could be 'overclocked' to 120Mhz with a few jumper settings :D

In about 1996 I decided to replace it, purchasing a Cyrix 6x86 MX PR166 processor, 32MB ram, 500MB HDD, and some sort of video acceleration card.

Had this machine for years, and remember buying DOOM, and some flight sims like Janes USAF, B-17 etc and used to play it for hours and hours.

In 1999, I bought C&C: Tiberian Sun. I was now a gamer. This also proved to be my first online gaming experience. I played a match against a guy, got whipped lol, but he said I played well for my first online game of Tiberian Sun. I vowed to get better! lol

I bought an Athlon 750Mhz t-bird (slot A) based machine in around 2000/2001, and this was the dogs. I got a few games for a christmas, one being MoH:AA - and this was the game that developed 'Dublin_Gunner'. I was in a clan, and this was the name I came up with, being from Dublin, and having the rank 'Gunner'.

I also played Deus Ex on this machine, a demo from a game magazine. Came home from a College night, but the pills I'd taken hadn't come up yet. About 2am and BANG! Played Deus Ex until about 12 mid-day the next day...

And so I was reborn as a gamer.

Been gaming online ever since.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  4. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Must have been around 86/87 started off with street fighter 2 in the arcades then bought an atari at home before a master system, nes, mega drive, snes, n64, pc and so on...

5. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    SFII wasn't released until 1991. Must have been Street Fighter, or you started later :)

6. asje1

asje1 Member

GPU:
    8800GTS
    For me.. Gaming started properly with a PS1 - Football manger i was soo addicted to that game...

As time progressed my older brother was addicted to unreal tournament 99, and introduced me to the game, a specific mod of the game and there after i was a UT junkie..

Played a few other games since, Xbox 360 - COD but never been able to reproduce the fun and clan community that I had and that died with UT99.

7. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i started gaming back in 1984, my dad owned an atari 2600 that he bought back in 1982 and he used to play with friends, he introduced me to it 2 years later in 1984 i was only 4 years old, i used to love a game called "River Raid" :D

a year later he got me the ZX Spectrum 128k followed by the timeless Commodore64, then the Amiga 500 in 1988, by then i became lightning quick at typing and rarely looked at the keyboard when doing so, this hasn't changed to this day.

i got my very first PC in 1989 it was an IBM PC with an 8088 cpu @ 4.77mhz lol good times, my family back then had quite a lot of money so we could afford these expensive machines.

EDIT: probably don't need to say this as everyone around here knows my favorite genre is the Point & Click adventure games, i first got into the genre during the Amiga 500 days, Leisure Suit Larry was the game that really got me into the genre along with LOOM.

while i do like other genres, i'm not really a trigger happy guy, i'm more of a thinker, i need puzzles to stimulate my brain, not to boast but while i truly suck at FPS games, i definitely excel when it comes to puzzle solving games, infact i almost never resort to walkthroughs when playing adventure games, most people do, i don't. ;)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Must have been the original :)

9. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    oh God... I hated ME2 and couldn't finish it. There's hardly any gameplay, and what there is is "put me to sleep" easy. I won't get New Vegas because I thought FO3 was pretty horrible.

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Bump
    Anybody else want to add there experience,i like reading these:)

11. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    1983 zx spectrum for me followed by sinclair QL then onto amiga then in 1998 I was introduced to unreal. After that I knew I was a PC gamer till the end. Bye Bye Amiga! I can remember my wife gettign me rogue sqadron and my vodoo orchid ripped it apart.lol.

12. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    PC gaming? Started with an adventure game in 1992 (doubt you heard of it) called Willy Beamish on my moms laptop, Epic at the time.
    My first game on "my" actual home PC (pentium 1 75mhz with 6mb of ram) was NBA 95(loved it) and a game by MS called This Means War(Crap).

BTW Console gaming earlier

13. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Was invited to have tea round at a friends house. I'd never been there before as he'd moved somewhere new so anyway as we were waiting for the meal he told me he had a pc upstairs he wanted me to check out. I only had a PS1 at the time iirc and he sat me down in front of this keyboard and screen and muttered just a few simple words that literally changed my life. "Have you ever seen a game called Quake?".

He showed me Quake running on his machine and later asked if I wanted to try it. "**** yes!" shouts I. Hours passed, dinner went cold and there I sat playing Quake (in windowed mode for some reason) and it soon came time to go to sleep. "Let me just finish this bit" says I.

The next morning he woke up and I was still sat there playing Quake. I'd finished it and started again on a higher difficulty. He laughed and told me to get my own machine and copy. I did. The rest as they say is history. He never invited me round for tea again but I will be forever in his debt for introducing me to the wonderful world of PC gaming. :D

14. Weiji

Weiji Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6850 1gb 1680x1050
    Started with an NES in 84. I still remember going to this wholesale warehouse where my parents bought it for my brother and I. There were two bothers who lived across the street, they used to get so many NES games. Basically just stayed over at their place all day after school playing games and on the weekends.

Got a Snes and Genesis around 92, followed by an N64, Playstation, Saturn and the list continues from there.

Nothing really topped the arcade scene in the 90's in my book. Used to have 6+ arcades in a 10 mile radius packed of people on SF2, MK1/2/3 and Killer Instinct.

Got my first computer in 95, a 75mhz Pentium with 8mb of ram and Windows 95 all for the low price of $1100. Didn't really do much pc gaming other than Warcraft 2 until 2000 when my friend and I got hooked on EverQuest.

I play any genre of games these days on console and PC. Typically I only play RTS and FPS on PC, used to play globs of DotA. Everything else is played on consoles.

15. sepulchre

sepulchre Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280
    Well i was born in 2020, but i was introduced to gaming about 8 months before that.
    My mum is a gaming addict, and i could hear everything from the comfort of the womb.

When i was born, my mum carried me in a sack on her chest, and i watched her play on her psp 6 whilst out walking.

By the time i was 4 i could type blindfolded.

My first console was a PS 10, when i was 8 years old. (thinking back that was some sh|t graphics).

My first computer had a sandydozer 20ghz cpu and 3 gtx6000 sli cards.
    Started on rpg's ie. Witcher 8, tes10, and a really old game called Unchartered 3.

Now i sit in my holo chamber and play anygame i can imagine,, thank god for todays tech.

16. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    Started in either 1981 or 82 when my dad bought an Osborne 1. He used it for his accounting work in the evenings but I got to use it during the day. I was only 3 or 4 then so the only game he got me was pac-man. I remember when I was older and bought my first computer, prolly about 1999-2000. My father laughed that he had paid more for the pac-man game in 1982 than my first whole computer cost. I bought MS flight sim 98 and then realized I needed a video card so I bought a gf4 card and it's been a whirlwind of games and upgrades ever since.

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    WTF are you talking about you crazy mofo lol

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Willy Beamish originally an Amiga title,i never played it but i do remember it at time of release.:)

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Haha great man,i could imagine that hehe:)

20. Wanny

Wanny Guest

N64 first then starcraft/diablos and so on.