Ridiculous? Witcher 2 dungeon - AF off = +19fp @ 1920x1080!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by GARRET, Jun 12, 2011.

1. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    He (alphaproxima) wasn't asking about whether he'd be able to see any differences between CCC AF and in-game AF.
    He was asking whether he would be able to tell how strong the in-game AF setting is compared to the slider in CCC when all the game has on its settings is a toggle button to turn the AF on or off.
    Something like, "Ok, I've turned in-game AF, but is this the same as setting CCC's AF slider to 4x? or 8x? or 16x?".

Of course, CMIIW.

2. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb

i honestly cannot see what you are talking about? are you talking about the archway that is nearest to the witcher or the one in the distance?

edit: never mind, i see in the tiny room through in the archway in the distance, with AF on, the textures on the wall are much sharper , without it, they are blurred, thanks

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Your not the only one who can't see the difference. It's called making a mountain out of a mole hill. In this example, the difference between the 2 pics are so miniscule that it's not worth the discussion. Furthermore, it's apparent by some responses they don't understand the brute force nature of driver level AF vs in game AF. But as one poster already stated one should be using in game AF to get the best balance of performance and AF. Making this whole point moot.

4. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    agreed , i certainly wouldnt trade framerate for something that miniscule

5. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    lol, I thought this thread would be finished by now.

Guys, I told you, there is a small difference ( jpg images don't do much justice ) but NOTHING that big to justify the fps hit.

Bah..I'll go and check what happens when you're outside, I'll load another save :p

---Some very interesting finds..! ---

In 5-10 mins I will update with Screenies!

----------------------------------------------------
    WITHOUT AF

[​IMG]

WITH 2xAF

[​IMG]

WITH 16xAF

[​IMG]

Now..look at the 2nd & 3rd building...the difference WITHOUT and WITH 2xAF is easily seen!

However..the difference between 2xAF and 16xAF is not easily seen.

I believe in more open spaces where you can see even further, the difference would be obvious. However..I will definitely force at least 2xAF now...:)

I think I can afford the..1-2 fps hit :p

P.S. I also have screens with 4XAF and 8xAF but I don't think they help, if you want to see them though I can upload them :)

P.S. 2 The best way to EASILY see the differences is to download these pics and put them in a folder - just the 3 of them ;)

6. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    nice post, yeah you can definitely see a difference in sharpness with 0 AF and 2x AF in the buildings walls in the distance, but even that is tiny hehehe , and between 2X and 16X? barely any difference you are right

7. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    LOL, your point is still moot. Let me explains why. Your OP (the original direction of this thread) was to indicate some sort of abnormal low frame rate hit when using driver level 16xAF. When it's explained
    that driver level AF can use a brute force method you now show pics using 16x AF using what looks like normal frame rate hits. But now you want to claim that 16x AF isn't working.

How about this, why don't you use in game AF! You know the very pics you don't provide in your post. :D

8. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    Omg...because it DOES NOT HAVE in game AF! And it's a small EXPERIMENT, far from a complete TEST, in the dungeon the hit was 18-19 fps, that was no way "normal"!
    Don't you understand that depending on the surroundings the hit is going to be varied?

Anyway,

It has a thing called "ubersampling" which is probably FULL AA + FULL AF together and that totally KILLS performance!

Read previous posts...

9. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    LOL, use the in game option. For example, set ubersampling on. Also:
    1. If you believe you are having a problem then direct it to the developers. One example here: http://en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/55/

2. If your game isn't as smooth as you like it to be (going with the original post) then there are programs that can help. For example, adding the game's .exe to process lasso's "Configure Game Process" profile and it should help if resources are an issue.

10. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    OK boss, whatever. lol @ your edit..it doesn't have ubersampling levels, it's either ON / OFF :p

----------------------

Guys, 2 more interesting pics from Two Worlds II this time, check this:

Two Worlds II with 2x AF forced in Cats:

[​IMG]

Two Worlds II with 16x AF using in-game option:

[​IMG]

LOL, same fps and the difference is EASILY seen, look at the ground...the in-game option is terrible :p

11. mbd2884

mbd2884 Banned

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870
    What is wrong with you? Ubersample is either on or off. And to help you comprehend. THERE IS NO IN GAME OPTION FOR AF.

12. FerBedolla

FerBedolla New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5970 4GB x2
    WOW crappy graphics, is this a PC exclusive videogame?

13. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I already know there is no option for AF specifically, lol. HA, yeah I corrected on/off function but my point still stands :). It's moot, 1st it was a frame rate problem. Next, it's about AF not working correctly (next set of pics show frame rates to be normal). Now we are on to another game. There is no consistency as to what he's trying to convey here. Which is why I suggested earlier to contact the developers or attempt to using Process Lasso (if performance is an issue).

14. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Partially, too bad this is the best graphics currently avaiable :(

15. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Well with my in game testing, in game AF always looks worse then CCC AF, and in one case in game AF actually got me worse framerates

Dirt 2 I only saw a performance hit of 3FPS with CCCAF on, and it looks far better

16. Brebaz

Brebaz Member

GPU:
    2x6870
    With 16xAF or without i get the same FPS!

17. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    Tried it with vsync OFF? What version of catalysts? Windows version?

You have a crossfire too..totally different rig.

18. Brebaz

Brebaz Member

GPU:
    2x6870
    Vsync is off. 11.5b+CAP5---- Windows 7-64bit

16xAF doesn't change a thing for me! even if i have CFX setup there's not even 1 FPS gained/lost with AF:biggun:

19. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    It doesn't make sense though, there should be some difference even for your powerful rig..

Can you test that with another game? I mean disable AF in game menus ( if it has such option ) and try with 16xAF / AF OFF in Cats and let us know.

20. mentalpeace

mentalpeace Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 Oc edition
    Garret, same for me; i tried disabling CCC AF and CCC AFx16.... same thing.
    6850 crossfire. And Phenom 955 just like you...by the way i had a 5850 ..and sold it for this crossfire setup.