Duke Nukem Forever - Hail to the King Baby!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Dmented, Sep 3, 2010.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    have you tried with the nomodify entry in the registry set to 0 ?
    dunno if it works though.

[​IMG]

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    NoModify and NoRepair are for the installer. :)
    (Uninstall, Modify and Repair being the choices - with these you just get the uninstall option.)

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    oh i see, guess someone needs to make a tool again.

4. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Nearly every one of your posts pimps your site in some way (yes, I know it's your site as it is registered under your name). So once again, it's against the rules to use the forums as a platform to advertise your site. Don't like it? Then GTFO.

[EDIT] I see you deliberately circumvented the forum censorship; you are now banned.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That data (Images also exist for the 1999, 2000 and 2002 plus this 2008 build of course.) from the extras menu alongside with the data from the timeline extras gives a pretty clear overview of the troubled development of the game.

In effect the current build would be from mid or late 2007 or just around there, close to finalized in late 2009 and polished up until sometime in 2010 where Gearbox takes over and further improvements are added along with MP and the console version.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  6. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    interesting stuff jonas. games progression ...12 years of time..not development i guess.

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Nearly every year (As the above screens point out and the extras trailers and concept art as well.) the game changed, I assume it wasn't a full restart and they kept the UE2.x build but they still did radical changes (Or so I assume seeing how different each year build looks.) up until 2006 or so, haven't read the development timeline (Also a extras the game provides upon completion.) fully yet but it definitively was a troubled and rocky process and it's quite a feat the game was released at all though the current build is a bit different than originally envisioned. :)

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm playing and enjoying this game so far (near the start of Vegas in Ruins) but I have an oddity in that the game's online features are greyed out including the Downloadable Content (I know there's nothing there yet anyway) and the Multiplayer. When I click on them I'm told that I'm not online and that I need to sign-in?

How exactly?

I'm already online as Steam shows I am and I can access the Store from its user interface so why does DNF think I'm offline?

9. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    Game feels very dated, apart from the graphics I don't see why it wasn't released sooner. However... I do love this game. It's defiantly Duke and plays how I expected it should. The only two things that I don't like are that you can only carry two guns and the ego health system. Where are the medi packs?

Multiplayer is very fun but has a lot of bugs... has an old school feel...

"Power armour is for pussies"

Love that!

10. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Worth getting?

11. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Lots of whine about DNF does nobody remember the origonal Duke was never about a great story or gameplay for that matter it was about Dukes sense of humour & the unadulterated killing of aliens nothing more.DNF has way way more to it than the origonal games old schoolers that were old enough to understand the sense of humour back in 1998 will probobly love it because we wont be comparing it to other current games as far as gameplay & storyline,graphics etc are concerned just enjoy it for what it is :) .

12. erm

erm Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    bad graphics, the textures are worse than bioshock... -.-"

13. Beast

Beast Guest

GPU:
    -
    I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, 6 hours in and not bored yet.

My only gripe would be the performance, the FPS drops quite a bit and I get stuttering.

Possibly a Fermi issue? I feel a 8800GT would run it better.

I don't mind the graphics, the gameplay is fun enough that it isn't an issue to me.

14. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    sli issue ? does it even support sli etc ?

15. sk8zophrenia

sk8zophrenia Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060
    just got it today together with red faction armageddon, total spent around $50 for both, but havent install it yet. cant wait to try dnf :p

[​IMG]

16. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I don't understand people moaning about the graphics, I find for the most part they very good and better than most ports. Yeah there are bits with crappy textures around, but atleast the whole game is not made out of crappy textures like all console ports.

Loving the game, and I can still recognize scenes that 3DR envisions all those years ago from old screenshots I saw. Even though they rebooted the game many times they always stuck to the same design plan.

I just wish I could play the game before Gearbox butchered it for the consoles.

17. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Ugh....
    Gearbox didn't "butcher" it for the consoles, GBX barely touched the PC version. 3DR and Triptych developed and 99% finished the PC version before GBX ever came in contact with it.
    The regen health, that'd been in since late 2006, the weapon system... 3DR put that in around late 2007/2008. GBX helped update a few visuals (Duke himself, EDF armor) and with Piranha Games, they ported it to the consoles.

You are playing 3DR's DNF. The game they wanted to release in early 2010. And if 2K had given them the funding, it would've came out.
    As for the design, yes the story has remained the same since the beginning. A few changes here and there, like removing Dr. Proton as the main enemy, removing things... (Bombshell is no longer in DNF)... but the story, design and flow of the game remains the same.

As for the visuals, while they may not be cutting edge or top of the line. They don't need to be. Singularity was my favorite game last year, but it was filled with low res textures, dull color variety... and some really dated looking bits. But it had a great sense of atmosphere and style, and I fecking love it.
    Same with Duke. It's got a great art style and direction that works to the best of Duke's world. Given a great looking game in it's own right. And if you disable the depth of field, you'll see just how much better the game really does look.
    Textures are sharp and crisp, yes there are the occasional low res ones here and there, but hell that's with every game. Even Crysis, Metro 2033... Bad Company 2... they all have the random low res texture.

People want to talk about how they aren't graphics whores, how visuals aren't the most important part of a game. Yet with DNF, it's the first and main thing people complain about.

18. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Wait, didnt we have that exact same conversation before? DeJaVu... :D

19. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Probably. :) We tend to just go around and around in this thread...

20. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    Yea,that armor looked exactly like master chief's armor from HAlO