Duke Nukem Forever - Hail to the King Baby!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Dmented, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Singularity is awesome. Really is, was my favorite game released last year.

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    ya i hope so. maybe if i had played the first one...yeah dont ask i must have been lying on my heroin bed somewhere or asleep in a field...

but my fav game was mafia2 wierdly enough..

3. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor 6700XT
    I never thought about it, but that is so true. We (as PC Gamers) are spoiled

4. faded

faded Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 OC
    So is anyone actually playing it yet? It's unlocked on steam now. But I want opinions before I buy..

5. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
  6. KingGladiator

KingGladiator Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 580GTX AMP 3gb sli
    I have been playing for the last two hours and its a lot better then I anticipated. Graphically its actually decent- I would compare it to Bulletstorm but better. Most of the game thus far has been indoors too and the textures are holding up well, it may even improve when it gets to outdoor scenes? Gameplay is fairly basic FPS point and shoot but with classic duke scenes/commentary. Has been a couple of points where I have had to mount a turret or ride a RC car which gives some variety to the gameplay. If you are a FPS fan I would recommend based on the first two hours

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I have a few friends on STEAM that the game has already unlocked for. The general feeling is... the demo was a poor example, the full game is WAY better.

8. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Pretty good so far

9. MNB4800

MNB4800 Guest

I would still wait for reviews. Community response at the moment is mixed.

10. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    Shame about the gore though. Feels very toned down compared to what was shown on the Jace Hall Show. e.g. not nearly as much blood splattered, decals laying on surfaces are very hit and miss. There are an abundance of puzzles too, which is a nice change.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I haven't had much time to play DNF yet as I was distracted with inFamous 2 on the PS3 for most of last night then briefly tried Red Faction Armageddon around midnight (after spending around 45 mins trying to get the moronic Steam to install the game from disc and not download it!!!). Will install and play it over the weekend, though I have White Knight Chronicle 2 coming today for the PS3 as well!!!

I did watch around an hour of Xbox 360 footage on YouTube while I had my tea last night and it looked hideous: screen tearing and jaggies aplenty, extremely poor shadowing with enemies often not casting any at all plus looooooooong loading times between what looked like very, very short levels. While I know the PC version looks better visually I'm hoping that those levels have only been broken down into chunks to fit into the consoles' limited memories and are not like that on the PC as there's no reason for it. Many of the levels I saw ended, loaded then immediately continued from where the last level ended so there's no logical reason on the PC for them to be separated by loading screens. Sure, the loading times on the PC are only about 10 seconds judging by the demo but they should be kept to an absolute minimum IMO as they break the immersion.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Also I was a little disappointed to see that the game doesn't appear to have any secrets and stuff to collect and find like Duke Nukem 3D. Part of the fun of the older game was replaying the levels and discovering everything the game had to offer; it added longevity but Forever seems completely lacking in that. If anything it looks extremely linear with the game always forcing the player on (usually to the next loading screen which judging by the Xbox 360 version looks to be every three minutes with a 1 minute loading time!).

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    lol doesnt sound you like anything in the game at all.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well, I did like the demo but the Xbox 360 version just looked so visually awful that it was hard to watch and those long, long loading times appeared to utterly kill it. Neither of those are issues on the PC however - visuals are solid if unspectacular, run smooth and loading times are brief - so I'm hopeful that the PC version will prove to be a more enjoyable experience.

15. john2gr

john2gr Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX295 1.75GB
    *LINK REMOVED*

please stop using these forums to advertise your site, it's against the rules

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2011

16. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Now I know how Europeans feel when their game is released slightly later. ARG! Why do they do that? What the hell is the purpose of having different release dates for different parts of the world!? RAWR!

17. Joohan

Joohan Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus AMD Radeon R9 Nano
    It's a whole lot better than the awful demo. Sure the graphics and gameplay are dated and the A.I is lacking, but the game is actually fun. There's a lot of interactivity and small things you can do and use (take a piss, drink and piss some more, drink beer and punch aliens while drunk, admire yourself in the mirror, lift weights, play pool, etc...). Doing these raise your ego (which is basically your health), and it's a a fun way to raise it. It's fast paced and the environments so far are interesting and have a lot of variety to them. But the most important thing is that it's actually FUN!

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    duke nukem pie

sorry cant resize

[​IMG]

19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The game was a bit shorter than expected but ~7 hours is still around average and I think I found most secret areas (There are very few, most just a little harder to locate areas with some ammo or such, on occasion a easter-egg reference.)

I liked it but the levels being so divided was a bit weird as mentioned in another post in this thread, was a fun experience though the long development time shows, still they got it released and it held up pretty well after all. :)

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    pie is a lie :D

looks good. is it ur cake?