Looking for an Upgradable water cooling setup recommendation

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Khalam, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 580 Lightning 1010mhz
    Sadly because of my son who will try to wreck it, wife who thinks the pc is to big already as it is and the way my tv is wall mounted rad on top is a no go:( ehh:( im gone have to find someone who can mod my case for me then so I can fit a 480 inside under the top of the case and then a 240 on the bottom. Hmm what about if I put a 480 on the bottom of the case (it should fit there np without any modding and then the psu under the top, that way I still should be able to fit a 240 rad under the top as well, at least thats what I hope;)

2. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    your missing the point, a 480 and a 240 is NOT enough to cool your equipment. you CANNOT cool 2 6990's and a highly overclocked cpu efficiently with that amount of rad even if you use a push-pull setup with your fans. you want to cool your gpu's? get more rad otherwise don't bother with your gpu's and just pick up the kit from xspc

btw stay away from ek's products apparently there is an issue with their nickle plating you can find more about it here and here

in order to mod the top to fit a 480 rad its quite a simple matter of cutting with a dremel on the top part to extend an extra 123mm and buy a new radgrill so you can mount the rad

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  3. Calef

Calef Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    Whatever you try and put into your case, do not use 120mm Fans, if you have any possibility of using 140mm Fans. They are much more efficient, more airflow with less noise.

But even with 420 (3x140) and 280 (2x140) rads, you can't expect super low temperatures for your hardware. So my point remains, an external rad would be the only truely worthwhile way of cooling such hardware. Otherwise, just stick with air and if you really want it, a smaller loop for your CPU only (one 360 rad would be sufficient for that). But still, it's not worth the money, especially since your CPU is at 5.3ghz already.

4. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    where did you get that from? you are aware that the fan choices for 140mm rads are MUCH less than 120mm? the cooling difference between a 140mm rad and a 120mm rad is made up by the fact that the 140mm fans are much less efficient than 120mm fans that are available. and plus, i dont think that the 800d can take a 140mm rad

5. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    atm my antec h20 920 can keep my 5.3ghz under 80C at full load (got a new chip yesterday that runs cooler since it need less V for 5.3;), so I imagined that a proper xspc rasa 750 rx360 with 6x gentle tyhpoon 1840rpm would give me at least 10-12c lower temps,...

6. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    umm 80c on full load? yea the rx360 will lower your temps a whole lot, and i mean more than 10 degrees. with that kit on your cpu you should be seeing something like a load of 50-60c

7. Calef

Calef Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    Well it's pretty simple physics that a 140mm fan with the same speed and design as a 120mm fan produces more airflow... but if I understand you correctly, what you are saying is, that there are higher quality 120mm fans available than 140mm fans, is that correct?

If that's your point, I have to say no sir! ;) First there is the Noiseblocker PK3 which is by far stronger than any 120mm fan normally available for PCs.

But the really interesting point is noise vs. performance. And that's an area where 140mm always wins, see simple physics above ;) And in the end you don't want to spend several hundred euros for your cooling to have it sound like a jet starting directly inside your room, do you? And imo (I know everyone has a different view on noise), everything above 1200 RPM is just too loud for a PC cooling.

Oh and just as a funny sidenote (not an actual option for home PC cooling I would say): 140mm power fan. Point being, also if you disregard noise, 140mm wins, because there are very efficient and strong parts, just no >1800 RPM "PC fans" which are so loud, nobody would seriously consider packing them inside their PC...

8. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    funny story there lads.... I dont mind how load it is, my current antec fans do 53dbs.... and the gpu fans are still louder then that.... when I dont bench I have all the fans set to 400-800rpms so you cant hear anything, and then when I do bench I crank up everything to the max and just put on some noise canceling earplugs;)

9. Calef

Calef Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    Ok if you really don't mind noise they might even be an option for you: 410 m³/h Monster. This should be about the strongest 12v fan available, another idea is Delta Fans, they have similar monsters, but I don't really know how to find anything on their stupid website :3eyes:

Advantage of industrial fans: you pack 3 of them on a triple rad, you get insanely good temps, normally only reachable with far more/bigger rads. Even the 120mm ones are far stronger than normal 140mm fans.

Disadvantage: huge noise, not really "meant" for PC Cooling (so maybe not the right fittings etc. without modding, but idk that for sure), high price point.

It's up to you ;)

Let me just clarify this one thing one more time: with normal 120mm fans available in PC shops, you need more rads than you can fit into your case in order to get good temps for your hardware. Sorry to crush this dream, I just don't want you to spend several hundred euros for a cooling solution and be disappointed afterwards.

10. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    grand got that;) but at the same time your saying that with those not ment for home use fans I should be fine with less rads right? as I said im gone have them running at minimum speed for everyday use - ive yet to find a game I couldnt get 60fps with everything maxed out running the cpu at 4ghz and 6990s on stock settings - so dont need much cooling power then;) and then when im benching I put in earbuds, put some music on so dont mind anyway

11. Calef

Calef Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    Well according to the data sheet of the example Papst fan above, you can tune it down to 1000 RPM, which should not be too loud for everyday use (maybe still a bit louder than a good silence-optimized PC fan at 1000 RPM, but not unbearable).

Then you need a rad which can really use fast fans, not all rads scale the same way with fan speed. I don't really know any from the top of my mind, but could have a look later on.

With such monster fans, if you are able to mount a triple 140mm rad and maybe another single or dual 140mm one, you can expect about the same temps as with about a 9x140 one I would say. Problem is, there are (afaik) no tests out there with such fans on rads, so I can't give you exact numbers.

Just one thing I know from personal experience. One of their 12v 120mm fans (this guy) on my old Noctua NH-U12P gave about the same temps as a watercooling loop with triple rad and 3x120mm YateLoon 1200 RPM fans, which are not nearly silent. But the noise... 70dba are really loud :p

12. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Seriously theirs no need for such extreme measures ^^

Keep it simple two loops

2600k on 240mm or 360mm rad GTX or RX

2 6990 on 360 or 480mm rad with 6 or 8 Ultra kaze 3k rpm fans push/pull config
    http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/pro...e-DFS123812H-3000-rpm-120x120x38mm_18513.html

Dual bay dual ddc res 18w pump's

your blocks an fittings etc

couple silver kill coils in the res with dio or distilled water

That is it

little modding to get 480mm rad in the roof of 800D

240 or 360mm rad will hang off the back of the case just fine

http://skinneelabs.com/triple-radiator-comparison-v2/4/ gives you an idea what rad's can do

13. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    hmm, seems like you have plenty of opinions, guess the only thing to do is try it and see how it works out.

14. Calef

Calef Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    Regarding k3vst3rs post, wow, these are some really beefy fans for a really reasonable price... forget the Papst or Delta ones I mentioned above, these Scythe have a far better price/performance ratio.
    With these things and a dual loop I agree it's pretty sure a good improvement over your current setup, no dream temps on GPU maybe, but still far better than air.
    How come I never heard of these Fans? :3eyes:

@k3vst3r: Just out of personal interest, do you know any 140mm fans with ~3k rpm for such a good price too? I might want to test them on my setup :) All I can find is 1.7k rpm max or the very expensive ones I mentioned above...

15. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    I don't best to grab 140 to 120mm adaptor an use kaze 3k rpm :biggun:

They about best fans you can get about spending loads 38mm depth an heaps of static pressure awesome radiator fans

16. Calef

Calef Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    Well since I already have 150 m³/h per fan I don't think it would be a huge upgrade going to 220 since would be only for benching anyway. I just thought there would be something similar in 140mm which might then have about 300 m³/h which would have been totally badass :roll:

But thanks for the tip anyway! :)

17. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    [​IMG]

thats looks like something I might like, what are your thoughts? not the res/pump but the rad and loop

18. Calef

Calef Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    If I see that right it's 7x120 (4x GPU 3x CPU) in total... together with the nice fans proposed by k3vst3r this might indeed make some good temps :)

19. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
  20. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red