From c2d to i5

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by darth0r, Jun 8, 2011.

1. darth0r

darth0r New Member

GPU:
    Palit 460 GTX 1024
    Hi,

I'm thinking on changing my mobo/CPU/RAM. Right now i'm using:

ASUS P5B
    Intel c2d e6600 @ 3,2Ghz
    2 GB RAM CORSAIR CL5

and I want to switch to Sandy Bridge:

Asus P8P67 B3
    Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3Ghz Box (with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus)
    Exceleram Rippler SB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 2x2GB CL9

I use my PC mainly for games and I plan to overclock if needed so, should I expect a big push in games FPS?

Thanks ;)

Ps: my videocard is a nVIDIA PALIT 460GTX 1024

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Games which utilise multi threading will gain a massive boost.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, anyway. I got mine today, +4GHz out of the box with only a minor VCore tweak and a TRUE.

3. darth0r

darth0r New Member

GPU:
    Palit 460 GTX 1024
    Cool, Which motherboard? My old P5B has a very limited overlock capacity.

4. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Depends. You can pick up a single PCIE board really cheap, but the Crossfire boards come at a premium. I think the board I have is one of the cheapest Crossfire boards available, MSI P67A-GD53(B3).

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I say go for it, you will see a massive amount of performance increase over your current hardware. Not just multi-threaded games or applications will get a speed boost. Almost everything will, you will have a much newer system with better cooler running architecture, better stability, and if I am not mistaken even if a single app is only using 1 core, your current CPU speed is 3.2 even at stock of 3.3 with the newer internals of the i5 you will see a snappier system. Then factor in these chips are insanely overclockable, 4GHz easily. 3.2GHz vs 4.0GHz couple with faster memory and a cooler running system. Why not upgrade????

If I was you I would wait a little til at least Bulldozer reviews start pouring in, as they might performance just as good as Sandy Bridge at a lower cost, or even better than Sandy Bridge which means Intel will be forced to lower its Sandy Bridge prices even more :)

6. darth0r

darth0r New Member

GPU:
    Palit 460 GTX 1024
    I'll probably wait till the end of July or firsts days of Septemeber to see how the market is going those days but won't wait more since I want my system ready for Battlefield 3 and Elder Scrolls: Skyrim :D

7. Dre46

Dre46 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 580
    I purchased the MSI P67A-GD65. It's better than the Asus that you mention. With a BIOS update I'm running a 5Ghz O.C.(1.5V) I'm not bothered going more...With just the click of a button instant O.C of 4.2 Ghz. The Aexea Memory runs at 7,7,7,24 1600Mhz @1.65 Volt standard. The Memory is amazing.

I will recommend the MSI over any P67 at the moment to be honest, and I'm not a MSI fan. I prefer Asus myself.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  8. Dre46

Dre46 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 580
    I upgraded exactly for the same reason in games, other than that I run virtual machines on my system that requires Memory. That's why I went with 8 Gigs.

9. crap daddy

crap daddy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    Go for it. I went from an E8400 stock 3GHz to an i5-2500K which is running now with what is called for the Sandy Bridge "mild overclocking" of 4,2 GHz, same GPU. It feels like a new system altogether. With the same GPU, as I said, performance in most of the games almost double.

10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Nice board but 5hit design. The gpu blocks the soundcard slot... Unless you have a tiny gpu you cannot add a soundcard, your stuck with onboard sound...

11. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    The GD65 has a better slot layout than your Asus board, kane.

Three glorious PCIE slots:

[​IMG]

Only 2 slots and a stupid heatsink:

[​IMG]

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    ^^I`m only seeing 2 pci express 16x slots on both boards? or do you mean pci express 1x slots?

13. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Why did you need a vcore increase at 4GHz? Mine took 4GHz all stock. I did go out and buy a better cooler, got an arctic freezer 11 low profile. What is your idle and load temps by the way? Mine are around 45C-50C idle (in summer heat) and around 65C to 75C under load playing BC2 for a few hours. As I type this idle my temps are 46C and the temp outside is +28C...

14. XL_ence

XL_ence Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670 DC2T
    I went from an E6300 @ 3.0 GHz with HD 6950, to a 2500k, and the improvements in BC2 were night and day. The difference wasn't so spectacular in other games, but there was still a big improvement in minimum frame rates in all games.

15. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    That's why I wrote 4GHz plus. I have it at 4.6GHz/~1.3V at the moment.

Temps are good, I'm only using my old TRUE. Idles in the low 30s, peaks around 55C, but it's really cold here. I'll probably drop this overclock when the summer hits.

I'm only playing around with it, really. Tried to hit 5GHz and still figuring out why my RAM settings aren't sticking.

Personally, I think I'll just put everything back on stock and enjoy lower temps. It was idling in the 20s when I was using stock voltage.