Capcom Loves Insane DRM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Neo Cyrus, May 27, 2011.

1. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Ironic how OBLIVIAN game sold well and had no copy protection. Stange that I purchased OBLIVIAN game at store yet I have literally thousands of other games that I !?! ok can't say. Waste of time/effort/expense for developers to do this. In the end all it does is hastle the people that pay for the title and does nothing to prevent the hacker/torrent users to get the program.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Oblivian is an RPG, very much a PC orientated PC genre.

SFIV is not, so Capcom are obviously testing the waters to see if its a genre that will do well on the PC.

The last game didn't game didn't do amazingly and had little to no DRM, this one does, so will decide the future of fighting games on the PC, unfortunately i think that 2011 will be the end of them, so looks like i will never be able to give up on owning a console :(

3. Seref

Seref Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    At the end of the day, I see DRM as a company's security on payment for a ****ty game.

Among the best selling games for PC had no or little DRM, and that's because they were good games. People will pay $50 when they think a product deserves $50.

4. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    It's a shame it didn't sell well. But piracy alone is not the culprit. Poor marketing, stagnated PC release, GFWL...that among other things I'm sure.

Dead Space 2 , Mirrors Edge and SFIV apparently all sold poorly on PC, yet I own them all, so I don't know what to say, maybe people just have different tastes.

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    SF fan here, cost is nothing really when you consider how much it is to play at the arcades. You either like fighting games or you don't. We know we're paying for a couple dozen or so characters (most of which we probably won't use), same again with stages and limited 1vs1 - 3vs3 action. Hey, it's a fighting game!!! :D Very limited content!!!

More fighting games for PC, thanks!

6. HitokiriX

HitokiriX Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
  7. MRGAY

MRGAY Guest

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 6950
  8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It basically says they'll allow playing the game while offline, it doesn't say anything about basic functions such as saving... or mention anything about its stupid activation limits which rob you of something you already paid for.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Good stuff, and i would imagine the no offline profile part is also part of the patch.

Great to see a developer listen to its customers, as well as trying to push new genres when it comes to the PC, still had to laugh at the part about making it the more succesful fighting game on the PC ever, doesn't really have much competition other than BlazBlue, which i really didn't care for.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Actually it doesn't have squat for competition. They only officially released the very first version of BB for PC (Calamity Trigger). Continuum Shift and Continuum Shift 2 were not released for PC.

So the only updated modern fighting game out for PC will be SSF4AE until Mortal Kombat rolls around.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
  12. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i don't hate GFWL and never had a problem with the service (prefer Steam though), however i do hate any kind of drm that force me to stay connected otherwise i can't save, can't play or whatever (ubisoft?).

probably in the minority but i'm one who actually buy fps games for the singleplayer, i rarely even try the MP, much prefer story based SP gameplay, don't mind the dumb AI and cliche' story, 99% of the time i'm not playing online lol ;)

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    im with you on this. mp really isnt my thing when it comes to fps, but i still buy the game anyways.

as for the saving, if u want to play it offline and its a gwfl title, just create an offline profile. problem solved

14. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    nice ;)

hmm i probably got it wrong then cause with most GFWL games i definitely create an offline profile and play or save settings which is fine.

but i thought the article said you can't save settings etc if you play offline?

"“If you aren’t signed in to an online GFWL profile, the offline mode has limited functionality,” Capcom's Christian Svensson said on his blog. “Obviously there’s no online play, access to replay channels or other online-centric features (and this is the part that keeps the online play secure from hackers or pirates). Additionally, you won’t be able to save any progress in challenges or settings, won’t have access to any DLC you’ve purchased and all local play will be restricted to 15 of the 39 characters.”

if the article only meant that Capcom is moving to your typical GFWL then i have no problem with it.

i'm a bit tired cause i haven't had much sleep these days and my concentration is kinda off :p

15. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    don't really get why Save matters so much in SF. just play through the thing once and then all you're ever gonna do is fight the computer if you're playing offline lol

SF has no replay value unless you play with friends/online, unless fighting computer is what you like doing. gets boring fast though, so Save is pretty irrelevant..

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    then it must be something new they are implementing, which is down right stupid.

17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Same, I never had Drm issues in any game i buy. I bought games which uses GFWL, do it bother me nope, I simple login if i dont have it set to autologin and enjoy.

It seems those who complain about drm are the ones who tend to pirate,that it seems like to me no offense to any one. As I have other friends who are not bothered by drm and they bought all their games.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  18. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    yee thats what i thought, if this is a new implementation then to hell with them.

maybe for SF saving won't matter, but for other "upcoming" Capcom games, it's a different story, try playing Resident Evil, DMC or Lost Planet without the ability to save between missions...

[​IMG]

19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    If it were my game I would put restrictions on it like this too. Especially after visiting a forum like this one with all the people bragging about how they pirate games.

20. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    This isnt new

Dirt 3 Does the same thing.
    Dirt 2 Does the same thing.
    GOW3 Does the same thing.