Building "Windows 8"

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Chillin, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    [​IMG]

2. Andrés

Andrés Guest

Looks promising, although I'm more interested in a desktop version.

3. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    Damn, and my Ipad 2 will be arriving in hours :(

4. mlmiller

mlmiller Active Member

GPU:
    v3600-256
    Kinect

They just need Kinect-II camera interface so you can use it with large non-touch screens, and projectors.

5. Larry!

Larry! Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 295
    Won't use that. Same as gnome 3 and the launcher made me stop using ubuntu. That looks tailored for children and dumb asses. I wont use an O.S. that doesn't have the traditional task bar and start menu. Windows 7 may be the last windows O.S. I run.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Eh, Im not interested, I will stay on Windows 7 as long as possible like XP, Besides they probably gona have the nerve to charge 300 to 600$ or more of an OS again. that and anything it can do Win 7 can do.

Unless they manage to make that OS 100% faster then win 7 and use less Memory and less HDD it of no interest to me

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Less memory and storage space?

We have 2TB+ drives these days on average and every mom and pop computer being sold with at least 4GB of RAM. This is the last thing they need to work on. And how can they possibly make the OS "100% faster", it already has a nearly instantaneous feedback.

Dude, what you saw was just the tablet layer of the device. You can still have it looking like Windows 7 if you are on a regular PC.

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    That interface...
    [​IMG]

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    people here like to think the defacto amount of ram pc have these days a 4 gbs, but it is not there are alot of pc's out there that still have 1 and 2 gb ram, that is only the defacto amount if YOU ARE BUYING a PC now, Or you MAKING your own PC

10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nearly every PC sold in the last 3 years has had 3GB-4GB of RAM as a standard, except budget systems. And you cannot fault a new operating system for not supporting a 6-year old PC.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Sure I can, Especial when MS tend to want to charge 300 to 600$ for NEW OS ever 2~3 years, which is just a rehash of the last OS, I will be interested if they COMPLETE SCRAP any and all Code being reused and build the OS from the ground up.

And again SOLD PC's THERE ARE ALOT OF PC OUT THERE THAT HAVE LESS RAM THEN THAT, not everone can afford NEW PC's every 2 years.

And when I say faster I mean, they make load time instant like windows 3.0 was.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Lol, anyone with 2GB of RAM has a system so old that it won't have Windows 8 drivers released for its parts anyway. My system from... 2007 or 2008 had 4GB of RAM and PCs sold in stores at the time had 4GB as well.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that is the point what about those people what they gona do when XP no longer has no support and they dont want to by new pc, just to use the internet? it would be MS way of say fck you buy a new pc and our new bloated OS

Just because it the defacto standard on this forum or industry dont mean everyone has a 4gb+ 3.0ghz dual core pc.

14. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Now that i think of it. I kinda didnt like that they just snapped in the Win 7 interface in between all that. I was going "OMG, ditchin the windows for next Windows :D " and then the guy just opened the Win 7 shell ¬¬

If they just trow out the already existing shell of Windows 7 and create something easy to use (that thing looked easy, and touch pads arent that different from a mouse) im in. Looks pretty damn fine. Current "windows based" shell doesnt seems to be suited for current usage of PCs, even if somebody thinks that windows UI works, my bet is that they can find something that it will be better.

I say, trow out the 15yr old windows based interface and bring the future on.

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    If they don't have technology from half a decade ago or newer and somehow expect their super old crap to be supported that's their problem.

No company should waste time and resources to support hardware only a fossil/hermit/Amish person would have at this point.

Any old crap from the dollar store now comes with a quad and 4GB of RAM.

What next? You're going to argue that Windows XP should still be supported or something absurd like that?

Edit: It seems you were talking about that too, I didn't bother read everything you wrote.
    If someone uses their PC for just internet browsing why would they need a new OS? You're just talking nonsense.

XP was supported for about 120 years more than it should have been.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    @ Tsunami,

You're fighting a losing battle here.

No kidding? Take a look at my specs. But I don't moan that a 2012 operating system may not run super-fast on a 2005 computer. RAM is literally dirt cheap these days (4GB = ~$30), if you're in the market for a new operating system then the RAM upgrade is pocket change.

My Windows 7 x64 folder takes up ~23GB. Even the most budget of PC's sold in the last few years had 500GB HDD's, are you honestly complaining over 4.6% being used in the most crucial and basic components? That's all of around five 720P movies, big whoop.

Go to Dell or HP and see for yourself.

XP is over 10 friggin years old already, the hardware that came with those computers are already nearly three times out of warranty. You cannot expect anyone to support a ten-year old piece of software.

And guess what. If you don't want to pay for your OS, then go Linux. You can still web-browse just fine under it.

So, by your logic every Unreal 3 Engine game is basically a re-skin and is a rip-off since they refuse to use a completely new code... Do you understand how idiotic this sounds?

17. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    So, drop all code, then write it again the same way (very small changes), do all testing again and hope it does not have any hidden security holes which were not found while testing.

You want to make modules which you include and re-use, it's effective when you want to do the same thing. That part is also optimized over the years and will work well.

Why would you want to buy new OS every 2 years and keep your 10years old hardware ? If you dont have money for new computer, you also arent going to have money to buy new OS.

Instant load, lol. You dont seem to know anything about programming. Loads of checks to do and load files from HDD to ram, start different OS services and so on.

18. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Thanks brute.. Cant wait to get the first alpha version of it.. :)

19. Seref

Seref Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    TBH it's getting to the point where I'm expecting a totally new OS. New kernel, new layout, new everything. Windows has been around nearly 20 years now, always being built upon and improved. A complete new foundation may be in order soon.

That said, I actually like the tile-based home screen shown here, but I don't like that it's still basically Windows 7 underneath. Makes the home screen just seem like a gimmick, in the same way Windows Media Center never really caught on.

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    There's a reason it's been around for 20 years, it works. So far, no one has been able to come up with a GUI that is more productive than the current Windows GUI.