normal temps for phenom II 955 with artic silver re-applied ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Vize, Apr 25, 2010.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That Rocketfish cooler is a Hyper TX3 with a different fan on it

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    With my huge Noctua NH-D14 I get excellent temperatures...

I get around 25 degrees celcius at stock speed and with an overclock to 3.8ghz-4gz I get between 40-43 degrees idle temperature and when under load/gaming I get MAX 47-53 degrees which I think is great.

3. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
    What are you loading the CPU with ? Tetris ?

4. JmanEspresso

JmanEspresso Guest

GPU:
    SLI GTX980 FTW
    Ya cant compare AMD temps to Intel temps.. AMD phenom IIs even when overclocked, if cooled properly, easily stay below 50C.

5. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    No, unfortunately not tetris.. Highest I've seen the cpu is 53 or 54 and that's after hours of playing Crysis near maxed out, sorry if that dissapoints you...

Thank you for that short and simple answer, with PROPER cooling AMD temps can be kept well under control...

6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    lysaer, what a great and expensive rig you have there! The only thing surprised me was the fact that you didn't bother with a proper sound card, like an Asus Xonar or Sound blaster series unless all your monster 580's are taking up all the slots. :)

I will need to save up quite a bit more to make my rig anywhere near as good as yours, nice...

7. Yopkin1

Yopkin1 Member

GPU:
    Asus DirectCU II 680 2GB
    My 955 idle at 33c and get around 59c full prime95 load for an hour at 3.8 with 1.45 volts. With and h70 and coolermaster fans. to lazy to try the stock corair fans to see if they will give me better temps but they are really loud. can't get 4ghz stable with out going past 1.55 volts then it starts to get really hot past 63c even then some times it crashes. I read some where that once they go past 55c they just they start to run into troubles. Some say that the safe temp is under 61c any chance any of you know?

8. xtrm_gamer

xtrm_gamer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 OC
    Guys,

I've a phenom 2 940 BE, running at 3Ghz now. I've a cooler master N620 cooler which has dual 120mm fans.

Asus PC Probe shows 34 degree Celsius idle and 47 degree Celsius load. This reading matches with my motherboard BIOS reading.

But CoreTemp and AMD Overdrive shows 42 idle and 56 at load.

Now I know that whatever CoreTemp shows is right reading. Am I right ?

56 degree celsius looks very close to the max threshold 62. So I'm worried.

I've one more question. Currently PC Probe shows that at full load 1.45v is applied to processor. I can overclock my CPU to 3.6GHz and it still works. Does that mean I can undervolt my CPU at 3GHz ? I'm expecting reduced temps with lower volts.

Please help me.

Thanks in Advance

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Motherboard BIOS reading is the correct temp to look at. As long as that stays under 62C you're perfectly fine.

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    62c is what amd considers a "safe zone". going over that limit wont brick your cpu. degradation dont start until u get to the mid to upper 80's. ive been running my megahelm as a passive heatsink for the last week and have gone over the tcase limit a few times.

@lysaer. how in the hell are you fiting those cards on your board. you on water?

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Haha, he has a SICK system, unless running 3 or more monitors it's going to waste unless he is simply benchmarking and wants to be the best. :)

12. xtrm_gamer

xtrm_gamer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 OC
    Hi ice445,

AMDs own software AMD Overdrive does not match with BIOS readings. So I'm going with Overdrive and CoreTemp reading.

Also did any one of you try to underclock phenom 2 940 at 3GHz ? At the same voltage (BIOS shows 1.45v) my processor can run at 3.6GHz so I think at 3Ghz I can undervolt it...

13. xtrm_gamer

xtrm_gamer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 OC
    Guys I'm able to undervolt my Phenom 2 940 from 1.32v vcore to 1.185v in BIOS. Processor is at stock speed, which is 3000Mhz.

Ran prime95 64 it torture test with 4 threads over the whole night and it was still stable at 53 degree celcius max temp.
    This never required my Cooler Master N620 to reach 2000RPM, it was at 1500RPM constantly.

The set vcore is 1.185v, effective vcore applied is seen in CPU-z and it is 1.240v.

Earlier the set vcore was 1.32v and effect vcore applied was 1.39v. So I'm saving 0.14 volts vcore.

The power consumption earlier was 140W and now its 123watts as seen in CPUID Hardware Monitor.

I did not tried to go below 1.185v, probably my processor will go below that, but frankly i'm ok with the reduced temp and fan speed is at medium speed all the time. Earlier it was at 56 to 57 degrees and cpu fan used to run at 1700 to 2000 RPM, which was quite a bit louder.

If any of you are running at stock, then I recommend undervolting the processor to reduce temp and power consumption :)

Thanks guys.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  14. xtrm_gamer

xtrm_gamer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 OC
    Guys I think this should need a new thread. So I'm moving this info into a new thread...

New Thread link:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=345346

Please post your experience in the above mentioned new thread.

Thank you...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  15. Delfs1970

Delfs1970 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 Dual Slot
    The purchase

Right now I have an older Arctic Freezer 64 (this is NOT new about 3-4 years old) on my Phenom 2 X4 940, and my temps are 50c-51c and that is idle. Load is around 55c breaking into 58. Does not seem to go over 60. I did not want to spend a cash as I don't have a lot. So, my purchase was the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer for about $30 bucks on NewEgg. It might not be the best cooler, but for the price and forums where people slapped in on a high end Phenom 2, I should be happy. I am hoping 40c or low 40s for idle and load high to mid 50s, if I get better than that it will just be BONUS!!!

16. That is actually exactly what I am running on mine with some old Artic Silver 5.

Idle Temp is 28-30C.

Load Temp (Pirme95) is 44-46C.

Ambient Room Temp is 20-23C.

17. Delfs1970

Delfs1970 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 Dual Slot
    If what you say is true honkeykrakker, I might be in a sad position and have a bad chip???? I get the Sunbeam core contact freezer today and I hope some magic comes with it. The chip I purchased is hardly a month old. I hope I get some good temps.

18. I will find my thread from 2 years ago when I built this and got the Core Contact Freezer 120.

EDIT: Here is the Link from when I got my CCF120 and ran Prime95 for 24+ Hours. I was also pushing 1.475 Volts into my CPU back then with a 3.6 OC, down to 1.4 now and a 3.8 OC.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=291704

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2011
  19. Delfs1970

Delfs1970 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 Dual Slot
    Conclusion - CPUs can be very different on cooling

Just popped in my brand new Sunbeam Core Contact cooler and have the Phenom 2 x4 940 overclocked to 3.6. Temp in Windows 7 64 bit is 42c idle right now. I was hoping for 40c, but I can live with 42c. In the bios on boot up it is about 28c. Reading online I caught some info of Bios and Windows temps usually have a 10 degree difference? Hopefully the Arctic 5 silver will take hold in a week or so and provide better temps. My ambient temps are about 76F (24c-25c about). So, bottom line is this is what I am finally going to get. What is amazing is including the CPU fan, I have 6 freaking 120mm fans in my case blasting away and this is it. My case is the Antec 300 which has excellent air flow with the cables out of the way. Air flowing front to back. Seems not only Ambient temps make a difference, when the CPU is made and how it is handled at that current point in time is also. Luck of the drawn on what CPU you purchase.

Also note, the volts for the CPU are not touched and they are at stock voltage.

Take it for what it is worth.

20. Sounds like you did well in your purchase! Glad you were able to drop your Temps somewhat.

I have basically the same case as you Antec 900.2, it just has a stupid Window on it. Your ambient temp is higher, and that is possibly the reasoning behind your higher temps. Possibly the Fans also, all of mine are ThermalTake, including the CPU Cooler... I never run stock Fans.

Discontinued now.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999122