windows 7 OEM or Retail

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by peanutmanak47, May 23, 2011.

1. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I seem to be a little behing the curb lol. Just figured out the difference between OEM and Retail versions of Windows.

So I'm going to be purchasing Windows 7 this week probably on Friday.

Just to make sure I'm thinking correctly

OEM- Stuck the original machine you install it on. No MS tech support. If you do try to install onto a different computer you have to call and explain why you are doing it. $99

Retail- Basically the complete opposite. You can put on multiple machines but just one at a time. You have to uninstall one computer and then you can put it on the other computer. You get tech support. $199

Now I don't plan on buying anymore computers or anything. So for what I'll be doing should I just get the OEM version of it.

Also if I upgrade my MOBO in the future will that mean I would be making a phone call to india to explain why I want to "move" my OS?

2. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    I'm not guaranteeing itll be the same for you but Ive had 2 OEM versions of Windows Vista ultimate running on 4 different machines (at different times). A quick phone call the first time you switch machines no questions asked just get a code to enter and then online activation works every time after that.

So personally id go for OEM.

3. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    Only retarded people would phone M$ to inform them about anything they did with their own software DVD.

Basically OEM and Retail are the same product. Difference is the "EULA". Since i don´t live in the U.S. i don´t care a **** about it and i wonder if i did if i would live there. LOL!!!

4. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Well, I just switched to a new motherboard/CPU and didn't have to call or anything. I just did the usual activation online with no issues OEM version...

5. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    What is EULA?

Okay that makes me feel a little more warm and cozy lol. I don't think I'd call MS for support anyways because they have terrible support from my experiences.

Thanks for the super quick responses guys.

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    EULA = End User License Agreement ... the license you usually click "I Accept" without reading (for most people, I usually read mine).

As for OEM, just reactivate whenever you reinstall Windows and said there was an unrecoverable error with the computer and warranted reinstall and they'll activate it for you. Done it many times before.

deltatux

7. apintojr

apintojr Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    i beleive after 120 days after first activation you wont get asked to phone or put in product ID numbers. it will activiate via internet like normal. from my experience anyway.

but if u activate it today and do a fresh install 2 weeks later u will be asked to phone MS. or automated service.

8. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I will have to keep that in mind lol

9. djjonastybe

djjonastybe Master Guru

GPU:
    HD6950(70) 885/1350
    I have a Dell Studio 1558 that came with 7 Home Premium.
    I uninstalled 7 Home Premium, and installed 7 Ultimate.
    Then I installed the Dell OEM certificate with the SLP key.
    And now I have a free Ultimate without entering a serial key.
    Not that I use ultimate features anyway.

As long as it's legally sold, you can buy OEM without trouble. 4launch.nl is a good website that sells it Dutch people for example.

10. gsbueno

gsbueno Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD HD 6870
    I'll also get a OEM copy because it's cheaper than Retail one and it's basically the same!

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    If you're a post-secondary student, see if you school gives away free licenses. I know my college does. I get Windows 7 Professional and Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition free.

I also get Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition (what I'm running right now) for free from Microsoft via their DreamSpark program.

My college licenses are all retail licenses and the DreamSpark License is a Volume License.

deltatux

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Retail comes with both 32bit and 64bit installer DVDs, the key will work with both.

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Key works with both for OEM too. Only the installation medium is either 32 or 64-bit. However, most consumer PCs should run 64-bit because I seriously can't think of a reason not to unless you have an unreplaceable piece of hardware that must be kept that only have 32-bit drivers.

deltatux

14. jackliu913

jackliu913 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti AMP Extreme
    OEM

a lot cheaper, same thing without the fancy case and packaging, why not?

15. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    For me personally I get Retail, support etc, and you're not bound to one PC so you don't need to purchase a new OEM copy if you break or upgrade your motherboard for example. Or get a new PC all together for that matter.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Just go OEM.... If you "upgrade" later, you can still use the same copy of Windows. Worst case, you'll have to call Microsoft to activate. I've used nothing but OEM copies since XP launched.