Battlefield Bad Company 2 - best drivers? (HD5970)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Olabil, May 26, 2011.

1. Olabil

Olabil Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC Geforce 780Ti
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 - best drivers? (HD5970) [SOLVED]

--------
    Note: This problem is solved. It turned out to be the CPU overheating, thus throttling down.
    --------

Hi guys,

Recently I've had a huge FPS drop when playing BC2. My FPS used to be around 90, but now its rarely above 40. The game kind of freezes as i try to zoom in with weapons, trying to control anything is pretty much impossible. Its been real bad the last month.

It kind of feels like HD lag, but I'm running the game on an SSD disk now, just to make sure the HDD is out of the equation.

People claim PunkbstrB.exe takes too much processing power. You used to be able to lower the priority of this process but not any more. you'll get kicked.

I've tried the latest ATI drivers in the 11-range, but they're all the same.

I was wondering, what drivers are the absolutely BEST ones for running THIS game? A driver that has been thoroughly tested? (I dont want to lose performance in the other games i also play: World of Warcraft, Counterstrike Source, etc, some new ones, some old ones..)

I'm thinking to start at 10.9 and work my way down till i find a good driver, but its such a tedious process...

I would love your feedback

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  2. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    10.5a or 10.5b hotfix always will be the best for bcbf2...but come on...many better games are out...and you will lose latest games support with old 10.5a-b driver...ea and dice hate AMD cards...

3. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    10.5a was a great driver, but they did improve again this year so I don't think there is any need to go back that far.

I cant remember which set I tested last it might have been 11.1 or maybe 10.11 or 10.12 but the performance was back to the same speed as 10.5a then. I have not benchmarked the latest drivers but everything seemed fine last time I played BFBC2 which would have been 11.3 and 11.4

4. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Find 10.5a and the 10.5a caps and compare performance to the latest drivers and caps to rule them out. Maybe the problem is somewhere else.

5. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    whats better than BFBC2 multiplayer?

6. geeunit

geeunit Master Guru

GPU:
    intel 4500mhd
    i have extensive testing.
    i have checked em all 10.5 all the way till now (including all the hotfixes)
    the best for crossfire it 10.5a but 11.5b is almost as good and more compatible with lots of games.

if you love BF series like i do (and are currently waiting for BF3 like me) and play BFBC2 just because it does the job while waiting then you will want 10.5a
    it will give the most performace out of any driver out but if you can play with just a lil less perf for bfbc2 then 11.5b

or do what i just did (i listed my 5870`s) on ebay which is equivelant to your 5970.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  7. Olabil

Olabil Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC Geforce 780Ti
    I've landed on the 10.5 drivers. They seem to produce the best FPS at the moment.

The loading time is horrible though. Takes like a full minute to load a map. But, still, after maybe 5 minutes of gameplay (the gfx-card temp stays around 75 Celsius) the lag returns, with a vengeance. It's so incredibly frustrating.

I'm tired of banging my head against the wall :(

8. Steppis

Steppis Master Guru

GPU:
    2xXFX 5870 "XT" Crossfire
    with 10.5 there is long loading time nad horrible performence. 10.5a awsome performence an slim to nothing in loading times

9. ultra5711

ultra5711 Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan on Agua
    I was wondering the same, BC2 and Nam' on an Eyefinity setup flying with a G940 hotas is the :banana:

10. Olabil

Olabil Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC Geforce 780Ti
    Where do i find these A and B-drivers? I've downloaded the 10.5-ones from ati.amd.com's archive.

Also, ran BC2 with fraps up tonight, the FPS ranges from 35-55 on normal servers, abit higher on hardcore ones - 45-65. it's absolutely horrible..

11. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb

yeah man, i honestly don't think there is any multiplayer first person shooter on PC better than BFBC2 right now

12. Steppis

Steppis Master Guru

GPU:
    2xXFX 5870 "XT" Crossfire
    Dont know where too find them on the net now.. Ill see if i can find the time too put them up too megauploads or something like tha later today

13. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    i dont know what you're doing wrong, but how can you get worse fps than a 4870x2

what resolution? game settings? are you forcing AA? are you sure CF is working? any anti virus or something?

you say the slowdown appeared after 5min even on the old drivers, doesnt that mean it's a bigger problem outside the game or drivers?

14. Olabil

Olabil Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC Geforce 780Ti

the fps might actually be a tad lower, i went into windows and configured it for 'best performance', disabling aero and such, plus those servers werent packed with 32 players..

Underneath is my settings.ini file, everything is turned off, i've forced directx9, and i run the game at 1920x1200 16:10 resolution. (I've tried 1024x768 just for testing purposes and there was no mentionable performance gain)
    Crossfire is working like it should, and i've tried disabling my antivirus for this.

-----------------------
    [Graphics]
    Effects=low
    Soldiers=low
    Vehicles=low
    Overgrowth=low
    Undergrowth=low
    StaticObjects=low
    Terrain=low
    Shadows=low
    Bloom=false
    HSAO=false
    MSAA=0
    Water=low
    MainQuality=custom
    Texture=low
    DxVersion=9
    Aniso=0
    Detail=low
    RenderAheadLimit=0
    Fov=65
    -----------------------

Yes, since the problems appear after a while in-game on a server, i also thought the fault must be elsewhere. I have read alot of people having problems with the PnkbstB.Exe process taking up too much processing power while the game is running, but you cannot lower its priority without getting kicked due to dropped packets/sync with pb-servers

15. Dual Core

Dual Core Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 2x4890 24"1080p

Black ops. by far.
    5) You didn't even notice that point 4 is missing
    6) You just checked for point 4
    7) Now you are smiling

16. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb

black ops? hah , aside from server issues, MW2 was insanely better

17. Monster_Marvin

Monster_Marvin Member

GPU:
    HD7970 @1.125Ghz
    Just out of interest I started up FRAPS and ran BFBC2 with vsync (normally have it on) off everything on and 8xaa at 1920x1200. In multiplayer sat around 100 - 160fps. Never below 100 though. This is with the latest 11.5b and 11.5CAP3. So for me the latest work great.

18. Metz

Metz Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 5850 TOP CF
    With those settings something is very wrong with the performance you are getting. Even if you had crossfire off you should be getting a lot better performance than what you are getting. How do other games play?

19. Olabil

Olabil Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC Geforce 780Ti
    I was doing a stability test with Furmark, averaging 35 fps after 400 seconds. Was gonna do a benchmark to produce some numbers for you guys, but the computer just rebooted.

Led me to think its probably the CPU overheating..

Opened up my case and saw a lot of dust gathered around the cooling fan and heat-sink, so i disassembled it and blew it clean with some compressed air.

Now, 30 minutes later, with a fresh squeeze of cooling paste and a clean cpu fan, the game runs at 145-200 fps for me. i raised the bclk in bios by 5 so the cpu is now running at 4.1ghz, too..

So, silly me didn't blow his cpu fan clean often enough. this is really embarrassing hehe, but thanks for all the replies guys - great community :)

20. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    that's hilarious man, yeah i bet most people never clean their PC , i started to now after years of not doing it, the dust problem is unreal overall , you think in 2011 there would be some way to defeat it heh:)