Wattage limits on motherboards.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by JerichoKru, May 26, 2011.

1. JerichoKru

JerichoKru Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD 6850 1GB
    As this earlier thread of mine suggests: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=344418 I am in need of a new motherboard. I decided against the one in that thread because of LOLHT1.0 speeds and slim chance for AM3+ support.

With bulldozer coming soon-ish, I figured I should go for an AM3+ board and so, I found this at a very nice price point: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Asus-M5A78L...otherboards&hash=item2c5c739e3e#ht_5785wt_905

Reading ASUS's site for the specs ( http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A78LM_LX/ ), it "Supports CPU up to 95 W". My current processor is on the left, which is 95W.

Now, if the 4th core was functional and, say, unlocked it, wouldn't the wattage used go beyond the limits for the board? In doing so, what would happen (or what would happen if I went with a bulldozer that was over 95W)? Would it throttle the CPU? Fry?

EDIT: I'm aware I'll need DDR3...which is why I like the price of said motherboard. As typical nowadays, money is tight and need to get this PC back up and running.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    TDP is just the amount of heat the CPU produces and the cooling required to cool down said CPU is a fan rated for 95W. TDP isn't the amount of electricity used (although coincidentally, the higher the TDP, the higher the energy usage). Your board wouldn't blow up, but it would either be unstable or cause other problems down the road.

Personally, I suggest this board instead:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128485

GIGABYTE's website and the NewEgg website states that the above board is an AM3+ board.

deltatux

3. JerichoKru

JerichoKru Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD 6850 1GB
    Thanks for the recommendation but this out of my price range.

That, and there's a reason why I'm using eBay links.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The only reason I can see for using Ebay, is intent to defraud a seller or trying to find older, out-of-production items.... The prices listed on ebay tend to be higher than those listed on Newegg for "new" items.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Looks like you better do some saving than.

6. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    i thought all the am3+ sockets were black ? , or did i miss something ?

7. JerichoKru

JerichoKru Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD 6850 1GB
    I'm a bit insulted by your post.

Newegg requires shipping addresses to be verified with a credit card when using Paypal. Since I don't have one...well, you get the idea.

they are. Gigabyte just re-used a model number and gave it a new revision. It's why you see normal AM3 boards under that name.

Wanna help me find a job, then? I lost count at 25 rejections/no calls in a 2 month period.

Such wonderful luck I have~! :frown:

EDIT: And I got way off topic.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  8. seronx

seronx Guest

GPU:
    Wani R7 XT
    AM3+ sockets are indeed Black

boards can support AM3+ CPUs with AM3 but you will not get turbo core/overclocking/idle mode/anything of that nature

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The only reason to feel insulted, is if it's true. And you're wrong about Newegg. I've ordered thousands of dollars worth of merchandise from Newegg using Paypal and I have no credit card linked to my Paypal account. Newegg ships to an address that's been verified by Paypal.

10. JerichoKru

JerichoKru Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD 6850 1GB
    That's the problem, no credit card, no verified address on Paypal. Unless that changed in the past few months.

What I find a bit odd though is that on some of my eBay invoices, it actually says my address is verified, while the rest say unverified. It seems almost random.