i7 2600 Heating, 73 degrees

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Methias, May 26, 2011.

1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    2600K obviously runs even hotter than 2500K. I woudl say that the stock cooler is a big mistake from Intel's part.

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    their stock coolers always sucked. I think you are supposed to use the stock cooler to maintain your warranty. Im betting they would rather have people running crappy overclocks on their crappy coolers, than running much higher clocks and higher volts on coolers like mine.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    get an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
    cheap, does the job very well and silent
    did i mention that it is cheap?
    i have one on top of my i7 860...never saw it above 60 C

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Actually your wrong about stability,i used to think like you did at one time thinking that "If i can play crysis for 6 hrs then im stable"..wrong.

The thing is when you run games without stability testing most games will run ok unless you have a very bad oc etc,however if you get a game that takes advantage if your cpu normally a little more than usual (BC2 an example) and pc is not stable as in using stability programs like linx,occt,ibt and prime then the game will find a weakness in your cpu overclock and you will crash/bsod.

The problem with this is it creates "micro data corruption" which after a while requires a fresh install of windows and other drivers though corruption.

I experienced this problem when bc2 came out and i had my pc oced but not stability tested properly,i had many crashes as part of my cpu was being used and it was unstable,hence the constant crashes and bsods,once i ran it stock it was fine.So i researched the answers for myself successfully.

So i made my pc stable and now i can run anything for hrs at my oc with no problems whatsoever.

There was a huge thread on it at HardOCP forum quite along time back,to me stability testing is important as it rules out other errors if they do occur in the future through "process of elimination"saying that i very very rarely get any errors or crashes whatsoever which is due to stability.

Last edited: May 27, 2011

5. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Yup, but for temps I don't really use Prime as a guideline. I usually go to 65° C max for every day tasks/games and 75° C in prime. Atm the highest I've hit with BC2 was 58° C.

6. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Well I still disagree. I guess we can agree to disagree on this one. extreme stress testing is like red lining your car. It doesn’t represent "real world" whatsoever. There isn't a single game or app that will put all your CPU cores under 100% load for long periods of time. Having said that, to use it as a guideline for stability is not only unrealistic, but foolish as all you are doing is putting unnecessary stress on your CPU.

7. Methias

Methias Guest

GPU:
    6870 HAWK @ 1.0ghz
    Guys, I'm really enjoying this discussion of yours.

I'm not paranoid anymore, thinking that 73 degrees was a burning temp.

But I'm still getting a new Case.

When I mention "price" is not that I want to save money or dont have it.

Is the fact: in USA( I've already been there several times) a GTX 560 costs 249 dolars, in Brazil it costs almost a thousend reais.

You cant imagine the taxes we have here, guys, I'm moving to Canada or Germany as soon as I finish college.

8. Methias

Methias Guest

GPU:
    6870 HAWK @ 1.0ghz
    DUUUUUUUUUUDE THIS PRIME 95 ISNT FROM GOD!

This is the only application I have ever seen that uses the eight threads at 100%!

Really tought.

9. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    redlining your car isnt 100% load. load depends on which gear youre in, what speed youre accelerating from/to, and the situation the car is in (ie. uphill or downhill).

and try playing cod black ops. with HT disabled, cod black ops has no issues putting all four of my cores under 95-100% load for as long as i play the game. even if im standing still not doing anything, even at 4.4ghz, it has no issues with putting all cores at more or less full load.

personally, i prefer my CPU to run cool. lower temps generally means more stable and will improve the lifespan of the CPU, as well as reducing the amount of heat that leaks into my room. that and if your CPU is running at 80C in winter, i'd hate to see how hot it would get in summer with a higher ambient temp. over here in australia, its not uncommon for ambient temps to go over 40C in summer.

10. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    In my Bios I get a reading of 47 degrees and in HW monitor I average around 37 or less, so I gave up on temps. Everything is stable as a rock and runs smooth so not worried.

11. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Well its not winter here for one. +20C as I type this, where you get winter from end of May? LOL

I have a feeling something else is going on with your config cause no game should max out 4 cores 100% just standing still doing nothing. COD isn't any more demanding then BC2...

I just finished playing BC2 for 2 hours straight on a full server 32 players rush. Looking at real-temp my max temp was 72C with a max remp on GPU of 65C. This is hardly anything to worry bout in my books. You guys get so excitied about temps lol...relax guys geez...

12. LuckyJack_tx

LuckyJack_tx Active Member

GPU:
    HD6870m 1gb
    its definitly not winter here either....96*f today and idle temp of my i7 is at 56C....so yeah i7s in general run warm...very warm

13. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

The stock intel cooler isn't that bad. I'm using it although I did apply AS5 as my thermal compound of choice. Idle and load temps while running Linpack64 with all threads @ 100%. Also folding@home loads up all my threads to 100%.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    the only reason you would say cod isnt more demanding than bc2 is because you havent played black ops.

trust me, black ops is very cpu demanding, a lot of people on here will agree. buy the game, run task manager in the background. load a level. you'll see 100% on all your cores.

15. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    As much as I hate to say it, I am going to go and buy a better cooler. Right now my temps are ok, but in the heat of summer this will be much different so the cooler temps will come in handy come July and August...I decided I'm gonna go and try the Artic Freezer Pro 11 low profile cooler as I have an Antec mini-tower case so size does matter for me. I read several reviews and they have it 15C to 20C cooler then stock intel cooling. So, if I am hitting 70C+ now, with the new cooler I should be maintaining 55C which looks fine to me...

16. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Well I went out and bought a new cooler. I went with the Arctic Freezer 11 Pro low profile. All the web sites claim installation is a breeze but it was hell for me. I prefer the Intel push-and-click approach. Anyways, my temps have been reduced 5C idle and around 10C under load. Not bad I guess...cooler only cost $15 bucks...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Well maybe for you it is,but for me i will always class stability success when i have passed the required tests.

If i was to follow your philosophy then i could play crysis with my cpu at 4.6 ht-on as long as i can boot into windows,dont mean its stable does it?

18. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    No...as long as you can do everything without crashing or locking up, I call that stable. I also use 3dmark as a stability tool as well. I find 3dmark is very good at crashing if clocks are too high and unstable...

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Every little bit helps. Still think you are going t you can fo be hurting when summer comes. Was that the best lp. Cooler you can find? Tbh. Doesn't look much better than the stock

20. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Ya pretty much. It is better then stock by about about 10 degrees C.