CAT epic fail in witcher2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mao5, May 17, 2011.

1. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    when did newell have an anti drm crusade? that would be the stardock ceo

steam is its own drm, but also is just another store that lets publishers put what they want

a retail chain wouldnt stop selling prince of persia with the always on internet connection drm just cuz the store can confirm you bought it, it was ubisoft that decided to put that in instead of a physical disc check

edit: cracked games do not have paul.dll, except a few recent cases or so-called 'cracks' that are just done for speed to be the first one out
    really depends on which securom version is used & which features are used

there's probably some check or trigger or loop that's taking up too much processing power in the witcher, when it should just be done every few minutes or in the menus, etc

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. mbd2884

mbd2884 Banned

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870
    Newell has spoken out against DRM many many many many many times.

3. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    the people who swapped exe's to the GOG's version one should go back to the original one

cdproject employee on a polish game forum explicitly advised everybody to go back to a save prior to swapping because the GOG exe will brake quests later in the game so if you want to play it go back, or you're going to have a broken game with hours invested in it.

4. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    drm or intrusive drm

there's a pretty big difference between a release date check+unlimited activations (or future drm free patch) vs zero protection at all ever, with the opportunity to install & run the game weeks before release

also, for some reason, not all steam games even use steam protection (they can run without steam running, nothing is hooked on the exe, you can copy it to another computer)

EDIT: the witcher, more like the hitcher :grad::approval::eyebrows:

Last edited: May 23, 2011

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Didn't help me :<
    Gained a few FPS (3 or 4), but GPUs still at 50% load each. The game did start much faster though (6-7secs).
    Used the exe in conjunction with RP, Dirt2 Profile and AFR.

6. mbd2884

mbd2884 Banned

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870
    I absolutely did not imply at all this was a fix for multi-GPU. And if you read the twitter feed from Catalyst Creator, you'd know a new profile for this game won't work. He specifically said this was a driver issue and you'll have to wait for the hotfix for a real fix. Again, I never said this had anything to do with your multi-gpu issue.

Have patience....

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Ops, sorry. Well I was hoping to gain a boost aside from the RadeonPro + Dirt 2 + AFR fix which works well. I can definitly play the game with that fix until the official fix appears.

8. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    What Gabe against is not DRM but intrusive DRM. Those require you to be online 24/7 in order to play the game. Those DRM which install rootkit on your system and check if you have anything 'offensive' installed (I use Virtual drive a lot because lots of developer and even Microsoft distribute their digital product using ISO) and if you did, they will not run. Those DRM that is harmful to your computer like the star something back in the days.

Gabe against the idea of punishing the customer because of DRM, he advocate the use of extra service like steam (which is a service platform as well as DRM) to attract customer.

The use of extra DRM other than steam is solely the developers or 'publisher' (not distributor) doing and in this case, Atari, most likely Atari. Steam or Gabe strongly recommend them to use no other DRM but they don't restrict them to use steam only.

You are accusing Steam or Gabe lying when the culprit is the publisher. Steam is just the medium in here.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  9. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Im reading this tread and i can't unedrstand how come soo many people have performance issues, low gpu usage, low FPS on high end GPUs.

While , im run it maxed out,- without ubersampling.
    And boy, i haven't seen it going below 40FPS. Only few scenarios.
    A typically it stays around 50FPS.

Thats with 95-100% GPU usage.

I Have 11.5A CAP2 drivers , and they are set to DEFAULT (had lower fps with custom settings).

And i've seen few here with similar hardware as me and they have crazy low fps and 50%GPU usage.

Hard to understand. Oh and i have retail dvd version.

Possible that there have been different versions of the game or something like that ?

10. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 580 Lightning 1010mhz
    nah bro, a 6870 is enough to run the game without ubersampling at around 45-60fps;) atm my one doesnt drop below 50fps and im only getting 50-60% usage on 1 gpu, the other 3 just sit there and pick there noses...:( once the drivers come out im hoping to be getting a nice 120fps with ubersampling;) 120hz 3DTV FTW:)

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    We who have problems are CFX users and not single card users.

12. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Still no update from ATI LMFAO the game will be old by the time they get off there ass`s and update us.

FAIL AGAIN ATI/AMD.

13. WDeranged

WDeranged Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II
    Yup, one week ago today I was sitting here with a newly delivered, pre-ordered copy of The Wither 2...supporting my favourite format is getting hard.

14. Princess_Frosty

Princess_Frosty Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    Yep

I've had enough now, this is beyond a joke, the game is completely unplayable because the frame rate just tanks no matter what you do, I can't even disable crossfire because there's no longer a way to do that in the latest drivers with a 5970.

This is the last time I bother with a dual GPU card or configuration the extra speed is great but the support (in both camps) is not appropriate for the amount of money we're paying for the product.

Kind of pissed with ATI now as well, everything else being equal I'll be taking my business to Nvidia on the next pass, this is a complete and total joke, it's not acceptable. :bang:

15. nzweers

nzweers Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 980Ti iChill Ultra
    Great, I just played about 7 hours yesterday. Well, I'm just gonna use the other paul.dll in that case, not gonna replay that.

16. samr33

samr33 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 2080 ti Amp E
    Guys~ i have problem about TW2, i set to ultra spec and start the game, then the window in the picture pop up and force my setting to low, i tried so many times and it remains the same~ i wonder what happen, was it because of the driver? or what theres some patch i need to download?

[​IMG]

17. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Only suggestion i have is go to the location of the ini file and check that its not read only.
    and if that doesnt work, open steam and verify files.

18. Amdgameplayer

Amdgameplayer Guest

GPU:
    Amd HD6970 crossfire
    they need to hurry up and sort this out cd project should fix this with amd togethr

19. mbd2884

mbd2884 Banned

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870
    I switched over after I had completed first run. During my 2nd run I switched .exe and deleted the paul.dll. My saves from the first run were all still there and working. And none of the quests on my 2nd run were borked.

This would only make sense if the grass was greener on the other side. Half of the troubleshooting issues on CDP's Witcher 2 website are for Nvidia users. So yeah, going green wouldn't have solved your Witcher 2 issues entirely, still screwed.

CDP is supposed to be releasing a patch today though.

20. WDeranged

WDeranged Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II
    I just ordered a GTX 580, to be honest The Witcher 2 is only the straw that broke the camel's back, I was happier with a single GPU, I don't have the patience or the time to do the tweaking and waiting required to get Crossfire/SLI working properly.

The main reason I'm going green is to do with the ridiculous driver issues AMD have been having, it's taken six months for them to get anywhere near the stability they had with 10.10e and even now the 3D downclocking bug hasn't been resolved or even addressed, I'm tired of all my old 3D games getting horizontal screen tear because the GPU has decided to play pingpong with the MHZ.

I like playing around with 3D graphics software too, since going with a Radeon my OpenGL performance has gone down the toilet, some programs like Modo can't even function at all.

So that's about it, I'm sure I'll inherit a load of new niggles with the 580 but I'm betting it won't be half as painful as AMD+Crossfire.