Fable 3 pc horrid performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by SwiftDragon, May 23, 2011.

1. SwiftDragon

SwiftDragon Active Member

GPU:
    HOF gtx980ti
    Ok who else is experiencing absolutely rediculous slow down in this game? I have vsync OFF first of all, towns I get about 24-40 fps, field is around 80 yet it still feels very laggy and sluggish.

2x gtx 280's Oc'd. 4 gig i7 920, 6gb of 1333 ram and an 120 gb OCZ vertex turbo SSD all on a windows 7 64 but ultimate.

There is no excuse for this when games that are much much much more demanding play at full speed, including witcher 2 which I could see being more demanding because that game looks freaking increadible.

But this this looks like a high res console port.

checked the lionhead forums also and its the usual circle jerk of fable fanboys that can't keep it in their pants, no help for any of us with performance problems.

EDIT: I should add that I have tried the latest beta drivers and the last 2 also, all about the same performance no change what so ever.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I believe people have said to lower shadow quality or disable to improve performance.

3. SwiftDragon

GPU:
    HOF gtx980ti
    yeah, even when I set it to reccomended the performance is the same, its like whatever changes I make doesnt help.

I think this game needs a patch or something.

the only reason i even thought about playing this was because I tried fable TLC and liked it somewhat. this games trying whatever it can to make me want to just uninstall it tho and get my money back.

4. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Horrible performance, yes.

5. Reiz3r

Reiz3r Active Member

GPU:
    XFX R7850 2gb
    same problem here,lets wait for patch or new drivers...

6. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    This is after they made so many statements and videos about Fable 3 being a "good port". Screw them!

7. TheAgeOfMen

TheAgeOfMen Master Guru

GPU:
    750M
    No performance problems here with Fable3, have shadows on lowes settings though.

If i turn them up i also get a very "slow" feeling game.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, the game runs very poorly on my GTX 580 at times with a memory leak bug which drops the framerate from 60 fps (v-sync off in-game and forced via the driver) to 22 fps. Pressing Alt-Tab to go to the desktop and back fixes it as does pressing START on the controller twice (to go the Sanctuary and back). I've even experienced intermittent 2-3 second freezes when I've not had in any other game. Ever.

The Witcher 2 runs flawlessly on my PC on Ultra settings at 1920x1200 (minus UberSampling) at an average framerate of 45 fps so something is clearly wrong with the optimisation for this game as it doesn't look anywhere near as demanding as CD Projekt RED's game.

I haven't tried lowering the shadow quality yet but should I have to on a system like mine for an Xbox 360 port???

9. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Fable 3 is a crap console game ported to pc. And i think the developers will not make any patch to improve performance, they don't care about the pc. They will not support the pc community. They want to make money from the console people, the pc version of fable 3 wasn't in the plan of the developers, so they did a crap console port, just to have the game on all 3 platforms.

10. Y1ROK

Y1ROK Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G
    Fable 3:
    560 Ti + 275.27 driver = horrible pefromamce with any settings
    250 GTS + 182.50 driver = perfectly smooth with any settings

11. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Lol !!

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I was playing on Fable 3 for about 30 minutes this morning and didn't encounter the freezing or performance dip issues even with Shadows set to Very High.

And why?

Well, I re-enabled the game's v-sync option to cap the framerate at 30 fps!!!

If I allow the game to run at 60 fps with the in-game v-sync option disabled and v-sync forced via the driver or D3DOverrider then every time I open a chest or dig for treasure then the framerate plummets to 20 fps from 60 fps and I have to press START twice to fix it.

Whatever the bug is it doesn't seem to like being forced to 60 fps but it seems at 30 fps. Sure, the game feels a little laggy and unresponsive and the smoothness you get from 60 fps is gone but at least the game is playable. For now I'll leave v-sync on in-game until the developers patch the game (somehow though, I don't think they will...)

Anyways, performance issues and console limitations (all the loading screens) aside I think the game is good; funny, entertaining and nice to look at/listen to. It's certainly not a disaster but coming out the same week as Witcher 2 it does look shallow and simplistic. I've currently fallen in love with a crate guy and just need to find a wedding ring so we can marry and have sex (seems he won't bite until we're married, the prude!). A silly and very British game for sure but definitely enjoyable and, gasp, even addictive! Who'd have thought?

13. SwiftDragon

GPU:
    HOF gtx980ti
    I can't share the same thoughts as you so far darren, I absolutely hate the controls and this stupid camera, also the fact to get to the main menu you need to head into your little saving house thing, invisible walls are everywhere.

Well I turned down the shadows and performance did get better but thats the thing, shouldn't need to turn down anything for this game lol.

Can't play this at 30 fps either seriously it gives me a headache looking at it combined with the god awful motion blur.

So Far Fable TLC was ten times better than this, and thats the first game in the series wtf Molyneux.

the only thing I like so far is the humor and voice acting, and even that gets tiring after awhile as it gets rather childish and you get the feeling the developers designed this game around 5 year olds with the overly symplistic everything.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @SwiftDragon - Are you playing the game with an Xbox 360 controller like me? Being an Xbox 360 port, the game is obviously designed around that controller and plays perfectly with it IMO. Not so sure I'd want to play this with a mouse and keyboard myself...

I find it odd though that you have to Press & Hold to activate quests and stuff; at times it gets annoying. I can see why they've done it - to stop accidentally activating them - but holding down the buttons for a couple of seconds would have sufficed not having to wait for the circle to fill before doing so!!!

15. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    Lowering water quality helped at most scenes alot, not sure why. Here is the options and some screens with this settings.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

for mouse , yes its awkward if u dont configure for ur mouse. i used MarkC_Windows7_MouseFix , mouse sens ingame middle, no accelaration. my mouse is a4tech 740k @1600dpi (max 3600 i think). Same mouse problems was in the last assassin's creed game also. But Fable 3 is way better with mouse than AC2 Brotherhood

And for game colors, ingame gamma to lowest, and digital vibtance to %70 did the work.

using latest beta 275.27, used D3DOverrider for vsync

especialy this area , if u dont lower water quality, fps goes to 20s 30s
    [​IMG]

if u check config files of game there are supersampling motionblur etc etc mostly all modern effects so game runs slow at max settings.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <ConfigSettings> 
      <IntSettings>
        <BloomMinimumEffectsDetail>2</BloomMinimumEffectsDetail>
        <RadialBlurMinimumEffectsDetail>2</RadialBlurMinimumEffectsDetail>
        <DepthOfFieldMinimumEffectsDetail>2</DepthOfFieldMinimumEffectsDetail>
        <MotionBlurMinimumEffectsDetail>1</MotionBlurMinimumEffectsDetail>
        <TemporalAAMinimumEffectsDetail>1</TemporalAAMinimumEffectsDetail>
        <TemporalAAMinimumEffectsDetailMGPU>99</TemporalAAMinimumEffectsDetailMGPU>
        <SSAAMinimumEffectDetail>2</SSAAMinimumEffectDetail>
        <SaturationMaskMinimumEffectsDetail>2</SaturationMaskMinimumEffectsDetail>
        <SpecularMinimumShaderDetail>1</SpecularMinimumShaderDetail>
        <EnvMappingMinimumShaderDetail>2</EnvMappingMinimumShaderDetail>
        <RainAndSnowMinimumEffectDetail>1</RainAndSnowMinimumEffectDetail>
        <FresnelMinimumShaderDetail>1</FresnelMinimumShaderDetail>
        <TieredOcclusionMaximumModelDetail>3</TieredOcclusionMaximumModelDetail>
        </IntSettings>

<FloatSettings>
      </FloatSettings>

<DetailSettings>
        <!-- Shadow detail -->
        <DirectionalShadowBufferSize>256,512,1024,2048,4096</DirectionalShadowBufferSize>
        <SpotLightShadowBufferSize>256,512,1024,2048,4096</SpotLightShadowBufferSize>
        <InnerShadowRangeMultiplier>1.0, 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6</InnerShadowRangeMultiplier>
        <OuterShadowRangeMultiplier>1.0, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5</OuterShadowRangeMultiplier>

<!-- Water detail -->
        <ReflectionTextureResolution>0,256,512,1024,2048</ReflectionTextureResolution>
        <ReflectionOceanWaterResolution>0, 0, 0, 64, 256</ReflectionOceanWaterResolution>
        <ReflectionPatchBoundsClip>1, 1, 1, 1, 0</ReflectionPatchBoundsClip>
        <ReflectionTreesFlag>0, 0, 0, 1, 1</ReflectionTreesFlag>

<!-- Tree detail -->
        <TreeLODDistanceMultiplier>0.6, 1.0, 1.3, 1.6, 2.0</TreeLODDistanceMultiplier>
        <TreeAnimationDetailLevel>0,1,2,2,2</TreeAnimationDetailLevel>
        <TreeDrawDistanceMultiplier>0.9, 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6</TreeDrawDistanceMultiplier>

<!-- HeightField detail -->
        <HeightFieldLodFactor>0.5, 0.7, 1.0, 1.3, 1.5</HeightFieldLodFactor>
        <HeightFieldFadeFactor>0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0</HeightFieldFadeFactor>

<!-- Draw distance -->
        <StaticEntityDrawDistanceMultiplier>1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 6.0</StaticEntityDrawDistanceMultiplier>
        <AnimatedEntityDrawDistanceMultiplier>1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 6.0</AnimatedEntityDrawDistanceMultiplier>
        <VillagerDrawDistanceMultiplier>1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0</VillagerDrawDistanceMultiplier>
        <CreatureDrawDistanceMultiplier>1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0</CreatureDrawDistanceMultiplier>
        <StaticMultipleMeshDrawDistanceMultiplier>1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0</StaticMultipleMeshDrawDistanceMultiplier>
        <RepeatedMeshDrawDistanceMultiplier>0.0, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0</RepeatedMeshDrawDistanceMultiplier>

<!-- Model detail -->
        <LodScreenFractionMultiplier>1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0</LodScreenFractionMultiplier>
        <BoneLODDistanceMultiplier>2.0, 2.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.0</BoneLODDistanceMultiplier>

<!--Texture anisotropy -->
        <MeshTextureAnisotropy>2, 2, 4, 8, 16</MeshTextureAnisotropy>
        <GroundTextureAnisotropy>2, 2, 4, 8, 16</GroundTextureAnisotropy>
        <GroundNormalAnisotropy>2, 2, 4, 8, 16</GroundNormalAnisotropy>

<!-- Texture pool sizes -->
        <TexturePool0>1024</TexturePool0>
        <TexturePool1>1024</TexturePool1>
        <TexturePool2>64,  96, 128</TexturePool2>
        <TexturePool3>64,  96, 128</TexturePool3>
        <TexturePool4>96, 160, 256</TexturePool4>
        <TexturePool5>32,  80, 128</TexturePool5>
        <TexturePool6>16,  96, 192</TexturePool6>
        <TexturePool7>12,  48,  64</TexturePool7>
        <TexturePool8> 6,  32,  96</TexturePool8>
        <TexturePool9> 4,  24,  32</TexturePool9>

<!-- Benchmark scores for auto-calibration-->
        <ModelDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreCPU>0,2,3,4,5</ModelDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreCPU>
        <WaterDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreCPU>0,3,4,6,10</WaterDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreCPU>
        <ShadowDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreCPU>0,3,4,6,10</ShadowDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreCPU>
        <DrawDistanceDefaultBenchmarkScoreCPU>0,3,4,6,9</DrawDistanceDefaultBenchmarkScoreCPU>

<TextureDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreGPU>0,2.5,3,4,6</TextureDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreGPU>
        <ModelDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreGPU>0,2,3,4,6</ModelDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreGPU>
        <WaterDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreGPU>0,3,5,8,14</WaterDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreGPU>
        <ShadowDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreGPU>0,4,8,12,16</ShadowDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreGPU>
        <EffectsDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreGPU>0,2,3,4,4</EffectsDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreGPU>
        <EnvironmentDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreGPU>0,2,4,6,8</EnvironmentDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreGPU>
        <TreeDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreGPU>0,2.5,4,6,8</TreeDetailDefaultBenchmarkScoreGPU>
        <DrawDistanceDefaultBenchmarkScoreGPU>0,3,6,10,14</DrawDistanceDefaultBenchmarkScoreGPU>

</DetailSettings>

</ConfigSettings>

16. SwiftDragon

GPU:
    HOF gtx980ti
    Would a logitech rumble pad 2 work for this game? this mouse keyboard combo sucks for this.

17. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    The xbox360 controller is the best controller for pc gaming. So if you have 360, just borrow one of those. I use them, dont need anything. And most games are optimized for the 360 controller so its the best choice.

I doubt the game is a bad port, looks more like a combination of buggy game and a need for better drivers from both nvidia/ati.

18. SwiftDragon

GPU:
    HOF gtx980ti
    Eh. I have never liked the 360 controller for anything other than shooters.

But i'm sure theres a work around for this one as there is no way i'm buying a controller for this lol.

19. R34P3R

R34P3R Guest

GPU:
    GTX 570 Windforce x3 OC'd
    While I have had no issue with the framerate in this game (I force V-sync in Inspector and have in-game V-Sync on, With ALL settings maxed), I do have one strange issue.

If I, For any reason, Alt+Tab out of the game, And VLC is the next program in the 'queue', So I Alt+Tab from the game to that, It doesn't matter whether I switch to the desktop, Switch to another app, Or switch straight back into the game. As SOON as I switch, And by switch, I mean Alt+Tab (dunno why, I just find it fun to type Alt+Tab), Back to Fable III, The entire game's textures and models flicker on and off really fast...Kinda like the flickering in those long fluorescent light tubes.

The only way I have found to resolve this, Is to suffer through to a point where I can save my game (Which is hard enough when your hero keeps disappearing and reappearing, Along with the floor/ground and walls), Exit to Windows and relaunch Fable III.

20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I had the same problem, I turned off in game v-sync and forced it on in NVCP so I get the 60 fps, but after a bit frames would drop in areas where it would not normally, to like 20 fps. All I had to do though was alt-tab out and tab back in and it fixes it. Running it in a window permanently fixes it though, alt-tabbing only works for a while until you need to do it again. At least this is my experience, I can run the game at maxed (with shadows at normal, water lowest) 60 fps constant this way, did so for a good 4-5 hours :)