normal temps for phenom II 955 with artic silver re-applied ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Vize, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Vize

Vize Guest

GPU:
    Asus Tuf Rtx 3080
    ok my friend is workin on my pc for and my case is a coolermaster haf 932 and it has a 1800 CFM fan on my xigmatek HDT 123 cooler

and even with the cooler on max speed atm the cpu wont run cooler than 41 C is that normal and fine for my cpu right now since the artice silver has not cured or should it be a little bit better ?? my 955 before this would always idle between 31-35C no more not sure what it was under load

the room temp where she workin on it for me is 62C room temp so is it ok or somethin wrong ?

2. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
    is the room 62c or 26c ?

i am assuming 26c, if so the temps sound fine

3. Vize

Vize Guest

GPU:
    Asus Tuf Rtx 3080
    oops sorry

62F is the room temp lol not c

4. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    oh hehe there we go lol, because i was thinking that i live in a hot place ( in summer ambient temps go up to 48 - 50° ) and its hell, i couldn't imagine 62° ones lol....

Anyways going back to the topic, i have a Phenom II x4 955 Revision C3 OC' to 3.6 GHZ on stock volts and it runs IDLE at 27° and full load on 39 - 42°. Though ambient temps lately are between 15° to 22°.
    By the way im using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus with 2 120mm coolers. Push pull config.

So i guess, your IDLE temps could be lower, i would say wait until the paste is properly cured or seated just wait and see, also check your airflow. Could you post a pic of what CPU-Z Shows, also check the temps under full load. by running Prime 95 and checking temps with hardware monitor or Core temps and post results here so we can know more.

5. Vize

Vize Guest

GPU:
    Asus Tuf Rtx 3080
    i cant post what cpu-z says right now cause its not at my house its at my friends house they had updated my bios and all sorts of annoyances popped up lol

for instance the new bios had my ram at the wrong voltage and speed so we couldnt figure out for 2days why windows 7 kept lockiin up and it was just that >.> and she did a really nice cable management job for me but ya that freezin up stuff lead to us checkin every damm component for testing and runnin virus scan and crap lol so i been havin an interesting week all cause we put a new bios XD

i on my laptop atm all the final testing will be done and back on my desktop in next day or so

6. dirthurts

dirthurts Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    I would say it's a tad higher than I would expect, but still within normal range.
    My Phenom IIx4 @3.7 idles at around 35-36c with Arctic silver on it and a Zigmatek Nepartek. If you add too much thermal paste it will negatively affect your temps a bit. They'll get better as it cures though. Also I recommend making sure your cpu fan is venting twords your power supply to suck out that hot air.
    I wouldn't worry about the temps, as they're fine. But I think they could be better.

7. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    After messing with my voltages and settings ive managed to get 3.6ghz, its idleing at 30C and 45C under full load, happy withn that.

8. psybersoma

psybersoma Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 470 OC 725/1450/1850
    so a Phenom II 965 OCed to 4Ghz at 1.46V should idle at what temps??

mine is idling at 48-50C and I've got a large all copper heatsink (ZeroTherm BTF-90) with Artic Silver MX-2 thermal compound.

I've got a CM Storm case with 5 120mm fans running.. temp in the room is about 75F.

only if I get the room temp around 65F can I maybe get it down to 40C at idle..

9. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    There isnt a should idle temp really, everyones system is different so it depends, there are so many factors to consider, the best way would be to get either water cooling or very high end air, mines on a Titan Fenrir, which is a real beast and one of the best air coolers you can buy, if its 50c idle, whats it load??

10. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    with stock cooler and default voltage, mine idles at 33ºC with Artic MX-3

Altho IBT full load its 62ºC

but idk room temp E:!.

Not cool neither hot.

11. psybersoma

psybersoma Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 470 OC 725/1450/1850
    I've got two Phenom II systems.. one is a 955 which is OCed to 3.8Ghz and is on a water cooling system.. The other is a 965 which is OCed to 4Ghz..

The 955 is in my living room hooked to a 40" LCD panel and is being displayed in 1080P.

The 965 is in my computer room hooked to a 22" LCD panel and using it's native resolution.

My house temperature is about 78F. Would be cooler if I ran the AC, but I'm seriously trying to keep my utility bill down... I've got just all my ceiling fans running at full speed to circulate the air..

Both machines are reading at about 50C when idling..

I've come to the conclusion that anyone claiming they are reading in the 25-35C range with a OCed Phenom 2 955 or 965 or any other OCed Phenom based system at idle must have their systems operating in a room temperature that's nearly 60F or lower..

I'm not expert in thermodynamics, but to cool a system to match the ambient surrounding temperature is likely not possible, unless you are using a phase change system or a water cooling system that has peltier modules connected to the radiator...

just my observation...

12. Delfs1970

Delfs1970 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 Dual Slot
    New Phenom 2 X4 940 with hot temps

I never really got to much into reading temps, but just started after reading about the Phenom 2 940. I went from a Athlon 64 X2 5400, to Phenom 940. I applied the Arctic Silver 5 on a Arctic Freezer 64, needless to say the Arctic Freezer pro 64 is really meant for Athlon CPUs as the temps for the 940 were idle at 50. I live in Florida and summer is coming fast, so air conditioning is usually about 76+ or your paying dearly for the comfort. After doing some reading, I finally went to Best Buy and purchased the Rocketfish Universal CPU Cooler RF-UPCUWR for $30 dollars due to its good performance review. After applying the AS5 twice as I still did not like the temps and pressing firmly on the heatsink for a good solid seat on the cpu, my idle temps are 46 and on normal games of Left for Dead 2, Dragon Age 2, Fallout 3 the temps do not go over 54. Crysis 2 pushes the temps close to 60, but that is a very demanding game. Anyways, after the old heat sink to the new heat sink, newer chips are hot and it might be worth the extra dollars to purchase that better cooling unit be it liquid or air. I can easily over clock this to 3.6 with NO VOLTAGE increase as I only need 1.35 volts to keep it normal or OC. I do want a better heatsink but as of now I do not have the cash and have to wait. I just hope in a week or so time the AS5 will really take hold and drop 3-5 degrees...like I said hope. If the AS5 does not, I will live with it until I can afford that new Heatsink.

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    its physically impossible to get your cpu temps lower than ambient temps on an air cooler. the phenom II's have an inaccurate temp sensor to begin with.

14. Delfs1970

Delfs1970 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 Dual Slot
    Phenom 2 questions

I have read online and seen information that I would like to know.

This is a repeat, please delete, my error.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  15. Delfs1970

Delfs1970 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 Dual Slot
    Phenom 2 questions

I have read online and seen information that I would like to know.

1) I have read the temp sensor in the Phenoms 2 are not accurate? Was this figured out just by reading temps, or did AMD put out some kind of memo about this flaw? If my temp is idle at 47 in both SpeedFan and CoreTemp, but in the Bios it is Mid to High 30s - which is right? I know this has been a topic that has been beaten to death, but which one should I go by and how do I now if it is accurate due to the flaw? Being acceptable or not, at 47c is it worth it for me to get another cooler so I can OC to 3.6ghz well below 47c and to be in a good solid safe zone?

2) I realize system information between everyone is very different, but providing that the temp reading anyone is getting is accurate, what would be the most easiest acceptable lowest temp that that a Phenom 2 X4 could get?

Example: Below "NemesisT103" posted that he as a Phenom 2 955 with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. The Cooler Master Cooler is suppose to be the same as Rocketfish Universal CPU Cooler RF-UPCUWR, but the Rocketfish one has a few minor defects that did not live upto the Cool Master name. NemesisT103 has a 955 which is clocked higher then mine and his temps are way lower then mine? I have 5 120mm case fans pumping air from the front to the back of my mid tower case and it has a gigabyte micro ATX board in it. Only difference with NemesisT103 setup is he has that one extra fan on the CPU heatsink. That is a 10 degree difference than mine and I seated mine twice. Guess some have extreme luck. I just purchased this CPU and wonder if AMD slacked off on the production quality at the end of the Phenom 2 cycle when they decided not to produce it anymore since Bulldozer is on the way?

Thanks for reading my rant, and I apologize for any redundant subject.

Last edited: May 21, 2011

16. robert1990

robert1990 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 5850 iCoolerV750/1100
    Well, for me it's still okay, but if you grab a very good CPU cooler (as long as your case allow it, if space matters) for example Noctua DH-14, Zalman CNPS 10, Thermalright Silverarrow, etc, you'll get good results on temps, but still pretty much it depends on your OC settings.

My Phenom II 965 BE OCed @3,6 - 3,7GHz with cheap CPU cooler (Coolermaster Vortex Plus), averaging at 36C-37C. When gaming / full load, it reaches max at 47C-48C.

17. Delfs1970

Delfs1970 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 Dual Slot
    3rd attempt at seating the heat sink to improve temps.

Attempted 3rd set attempt of the rocketfish cpu cooler RF-UPCUWR on my Phenom 2 X4 940. One thing I noticed as when I clamp it down the rocketfish slides away from the clamp so I pushed it more to the center of the cpu. This was my last attempt at seating it. My results are now with CoreTemp and Speedfan being the same - coolest idle settings 44c (thats no use on the computer) and will then creep up to 46c - 47c bouncing around in windows. Whats really interesting is when playing a game like Dragon age is about 54c and with Crysis 2 it is about 58. It does not seem to want to break the 60c barrier which is cool, but unfortunately with this cool I cannot get under 40c. When I get off a game the temps on the CPU drop fast and should with 5 120mm cases fans blasting on full. Again, being in Florida with 90+ temps rolling every day through summer does not help, air conditioning is at the best 76F, and then due to electric bill shock it will be pushed up to 78F for savings. I hope to save some money and get a good cooler.

18. JmanEspresso

JmanEspresso Guest

GPU:
    SLI GTX980 FTW
    Ive got the Phenom II X4 965, stepping 3, revision RB-C3. Overclocked to 4.2ghz at 1.41v. Watercooled with an EK Block and a XSPC RX360 rad.

Room temp is ~63-65F most of the time.

Idle temp- 29-31C
    Gaming Temp-34-36C
    Full Load Temp-40-41C

Now, with the same overclock and room temp, and the H70 cooler...

Idle-38-39C
    Gaming Temp-45-48C
    Full Load Temp-53C

Same room temp, slightly lower OC/same volts, using the V6GT cooler, the temps were a bit cooler. MAx load temp was, IIRC, 51C. The V6GT is a heck of a cooler, and is highly overlooked based on the preformance of the V8 and V10 monsters.

Your temps that your read from whatever program you use are only half the info. You need to take into account AMBIENT temps too. I can have my CPU be fully loaded prime 95 and max at 38C... Sure I needed to be in the garage during january to do it...

19. Delfs1970

Delfs1970 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 Dual Slot
    Would a better cooler make that big difference?

I was looking to buy a better cooler like the ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm, but then I looked at my situation in Florida and question, would this new fan produce a decrease in temps worth the price of that cooler. I actually would think a 10c drop would be realistic, however, until it is put to the test I really will not know. I am not satisfied with my temps, I would like to be under 50c on load and under 40c on idle. That is my goal but I might be disappointed with the outcome.

20. Delfs1970

Delfs1970 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 Dual Slot
    Warning = Rocketfish Universal CPU Cooler RF-UPCUWR

Up above you can see that I was not happy with my temps at all, so before I decided to purchase a new CPU heatsink, I decided to try to lap the rocketfish RF-UPCUWR that I currently own. After getting all the correct sandpaper and materials, I began my lapping. Now if anyone has a rocketfish cooler like mentioned above you should now it is the same as a certain Cool Master and has some minor imperfections. I found out what they were, or at least what mine were. Upon my lapping, I found out one out of the 3 heat pipes was nice and smooth. The other 2 heat pipes were smooth on the edges, but pitted in the center. I concentrated on more lapping, those 2 heat pipes pits were not going away. To sum it up, I screwed it up as I found out the roughness they apply on these is to cover up those pits, as I busted open one of the heat pipes. Low and behold, the imperfections of the smoothness on the heat sink is to not show the pits and not reveal how thin the wall of the heat pipe is. The pits are deep and uneven, hence this heat sink will not transfer heat well. That sums up the reason of my 46-47 idle and my 55-58 load temps. You get what you pay for. I blew $30 dollars on this cooler thinking I was getting a deal. Salvage is a 92mm fan. I might be able to weld something to it and experiment in the future? Thanks for reading and take heed of what you purchase.