Is this laptop worth the buy?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by soul0reaper, May 20, 2011.

1. soul0reaper

soul0reaper Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 570 Sonic Plat
    My 2 year old gateway laptop now for some reason BSODs randomly and frequently. I was initially planning to just get a decent but cheap laptop just for work and such and be done but I saw this, http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0364875, at micocenter.
    Its a G71x for $614 if counting tax.

From what I checked online, the gtx 260 it has is still a top notch graphics card, beating all other sub 1k laptops I can find. However with many other laptops and the new SB laptops, I'm wondering if theres a better deal out there for +-200 as the cpu is only a c2d.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Looks OK to me, Vista tho, not W7... C2D shud be enough for average everyday work...

DDR-800 is gonna be outdated in a year, does that matter to you?

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. soul0reaper

soul0reaper Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 570 Sonic Plat
    ah, i think I failed to specify some things.
    If I buy the laptop I'll most likely game on it, along with doing some editing work. That is where my concern about the c2d lies. VS something like the acer laptop mentioned in another topic, is being $36 cheaper worth it?

DDR2 being outdated doesn't really matter to be, 6 gb is more than enough and I have some spare copies of Win 7 HP lying around

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well yeah I guess the C2D might slow you down a bit, if you do a lot of video editing.

5. soul0reaper

soul0reaper Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 570 Sonic Plat
    Yeah but I don't think I will be doing *too* much intensive video editing, most likely images and some 3d creation.

However cuda should compensate for potential slow downs. My real concern is basically for gaming. How does the i3 compare to a c2d assuming equal clock with ht on i3? Is the performance gap big?

I did some research and it seems like the ASUS laptop can support a c2q q9000. Maybe I'll see if I can upgrade the cpu down the road I guess :S