New CAP with old Cat?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Ejziponken, May 18, 2011.

1. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

All new catalyst drivers sucks and I'm starting to accept it (flickering, mouselag and overdrive bugs and so on..). So until i can buy a new, Nvidia card i have a question.

Can I use catalyst 10.10d with new CAP? Can i get the new game optimizations without the new driverbugs? Using Sapphire Radeon HD 5970 2GB OC if anybody cares about that. :p

And are CAP only for Crossfire? Or can i use them with a single card?

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yes you can, CAP profiles started with the 10.2 drivers (i think), so you can use them with driver any after that :)

3. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Yes you can use 10.10+ newest cap
    BTW, you are nvidia bot?

4. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

Are CAP only for Crossfire? Or can i use them with a single card?

And one more thing, the CAPs, do the newest CAP contain all the old fixes too?

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Theres some confusion there now, as when they started, they were for both single and Xfire, but according to CatCreator on his twitter (not long back), they were only for Xfire, so either hes wrong, or they've changed them to Xfire only.

6. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    bann pls

7. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    1. question: For all configurations: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33961798
    2. question: yes
    3. Are you nvidia bot?

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Huh, why should he be banned :confused:

9. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    I'm sure it's a bot

10. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

Why would i be a bot?... Just because I'm sick of the ATI drivers after 6 months of bugs? :S

Thx for the answers.

11. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    All these 6 months, you could use 10.10 and read some info about ATI applications.
    What card you have?

12. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

Using Sapphire Radeon HD 5970 2GB OC. In the readme files for the CAPs its almost only crossfire fixes, so i dont think they help me that much. The old Catalyst dont have all the new features and so on, so even if 10.10 works I'm not satisfied with that. New drivers should work for me. And in the old drivers there is old bugs and in the new drivers there is new bugs.

13. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Interesting, why it doesn't help?
    Crossfire doesn't work with CAPs?

If you need new features, then install CCC2(from newer set) only, on 10.10's display driver.

14. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

Or AMD could spend some more money in the development in catalyst drivers so their customers could be a little happier with their expensive cards.

Anyway, I will try mixing old with new and maybe get a " fully working" card that i paid for. But in the end, the damage is already done so i will try Nvidia anyway next time and hope for the "grass is greener on the other side". Dont be sad, at least my last three cards was actually AMD.

15. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Do you think nvidia boys haven't problems with their drivers?:nerd:
    I always use the latest version, never had performance issues. I do not understand people, who blame everyone, except themselves.
    Maybe that's not the driver?

16. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

Then its the card and the fault is still with AMD. It is the drivers since old drivers dosnt have the same problems like the new drivers. The solution is the drivers, but i think AMD has too little people working on it or god forbid "noobs" as catalyst makers. :)

More money for the development or new coders or more coders is the solution. Its not impossible to fix the problems, but more "man hours" is required. Its taking to much time to fix problems like the mouselag and flickering and all the other problems.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  17. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    You can use old driver with new CAPs(and if you want, with new CCC2). It's simple:nerd:
    It's not driver, card, or Driver team.
    It's user :eyebrows:

18. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

Blaming the users is always the right way to go. So all users with with the same bugs and problems are to blame? Right..

19. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    You understand my post, as you like, but I meant something quite different. :eyebrows:

20. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    5970 is crossfire, why do people still not realize this

if there's more than 1 gpu, it's CF or SLI period, you need all the CF/SLI driver updates or game patches to get things working

what flickering do you see? is it games not mentioned in the driver/cap updates or what?

there's nothing wrong with staying at 10.10 & latest CAP, but sometimes there are changes/fixes that only work by updating the driver files, but that depends on the game (like brink for example, or apparently witcher 2)

also, you can mix driver dlls so that only the game loads the ones you want, without reinstalling drivers or affecting anything else