Tesla's 270.61 WHQL

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by inplayruns, May 10, 2011.

1. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    If I had the extra cash I'd probably want one of the 120Hz or 240Hz monitors but it's not really a bottleneck as long as you don't have VSync on. Your eyes can only see about approximately 30 fps but the game engines do some calculations based on your fps to determine how many packets to send to the server.

My first LCD TV I played on was only 720p but it could also do 1080i. Even thought 720p was at 60Hz and 1080i which looked better was only able to do 30Hz. This was not a problem though. I had a very great gaming experience with that LCD TV. Even though I was set at 1920 x 1080 at 30Hz I had VSync Off so my game was going on at over 200 fps (and sending packets to server based on that) during the time it was displaying only 30 fps (and sending info to my eyes at that rate). So overall experience was I was doing the same amount of winning in the closeup gunfights as I would have been if it had been displaying 120 fps or more to my eyes.

2. vrt684

vrt684 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 660 SC
    what i dont like about having v sync off is the fact of the vertical lines i figure sense my system does more than 60 fps that a 120hz would be perfect and maybe its just me but i have seen 30 fps and faster and i can see a difference but maybe its just me most might say a Placebo effect even but i certainly see faster than 30 fps maybe i have super eyes perhaps? here is some info concerning the so called 30 fps limit of are eyes too http://whisper.ausgamers.com/wiki/index.php/How_many_FPS_human_eye_can_see :p

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  3. cyberbeing

cyberbeing Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 770 2GB
    You do realize that the 270.61 Tesla and Quadro drivers have bit-identical installers, which have bit-identical driver files to the 270.61 Desktop drivers, right? This isn't always the case, but for 270.61 they are all identical. Any difference you see is entirely a placebo-effect.

[​IMG]

Whatever makes you happy I guess, but there is no reason for anybody using the 270.61 Desktop or Quadro drivers to install these.

4. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    These set are pure smooth for me. Using them since they came out.

5. vrt684

vrt684 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 660 SC
    all depends its not a placebo-effect if you do run Tessellation it actually does run faster for that kinda stuff

6. cyberbeing

cyberbeing Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 770 2GB
    Identical file hashes = Placebo-effect

There is no argument here.

7. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    dude you're full of it, it was i that started using them at first.

Then I posted the inf at 270.61Quadro and i know it was a diff. otherwise i wouldn't post it simple as (especially Dirt2 stopped making bsod), and you can take that placebo somewhere else ty.

8. b101uk

b101uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070
    :no:

wrong, there are more file in the Tesla install than the desktop ones and some of the files are different sizes (just as most are the same) which is to be expected given a good amount of unification of drivers and hardware, also there is nothing stopping NV from including parts for desktop, Tesla, and Quadro section within the same file so that it can be unified into a single file that will be the same across like number revision drivers but will be handled differently when installed, if you unify drivers then you MUST have multiple sections for all the different hardware which is capable of different things.

e.g.
    the Tesla NvCplSetupInt.exe = 58.8mb
    The desktop NvCplSetupInt.exe = 25.4mb

One would expect the desktop one to be bigger as it has to cater for far more different legacy products but its not.

9. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    And how do I go about installing these? Says they aren't meant for my stuff.

I used a modded Inf, but it "failed" at the end. Hmm.

10. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    The modded inf file you use must be for the same language version as the driver you're gonna use it for, so you need a modded international driver inf to use with a modded international driver and so forth. Also the modded inf file you use should be same operating system and same number of bits.

TheHunter made a good youtube video which is on a sticky at top of this NVidia drivers forum but I sorta wish he'd a little bit differently because he mixed in a bit of explaining what everything is with his description of how to make the modded inf and also there's no audio and that could have made it better as well. Maybe he'll make a 2nd version of his youtube tutorial. Also showing people how to paste to modded inf into the correct folder before running the Setup.exe too I guess cuz some people still don't get it. :)

The Tesla driver is International only so be sure to use a modded inf that was taken from an International driver.

1) Download the new driver from the NVidia downloads section.
    2) Next try to install it (notice where it is going to extract the drivers to) and let it tell you it can't do it. Then you say OK and if Windows asks if it installed ok you say yes.
    3) Then you take the modded inf file and paste it into the Display.Driver folder where your new drivers extracted to during the installation attempt. Windows will say a file of that name is already there and asks you if you wanna overwrite it and you say yes.
    4) Now you're ready to find the setup.exe file in the folder where your new drivers extracted to during the last installation attempt (not the original file you downloaded) and double-click that setup.exe file and installation begins.

11. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
  12. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
  13. Pedroshin

Pedroshin Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SC
    Hey, do you use SLI?

I've recently began playing L4D2 (and a bit of L4D) again and I've noticed with 267.24 or Forceware 270.61 I get that old dreaded map-change SLI malfunction with both games, in which I lose half of my fps with lags and skips after finishing a Campaign map and starting the next one. (I can't believe neither Nvidia or Valve still haven't fixed this for good!!!)

I remember posting way back that 260.52 were seemingly good in fixing this, but now with these more recent drivers I seem to have to once AGAIN keep ALT+TAB'ing each time map changes to regain my fps or else I lose a lot of performance... Do you know what I'm talking about and any tips/good drivers if there are even any?

Thanks

14. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    no I dont use SLi so idk, sorry..

But for L4d2 263.09 and 263.15telsa were the best for my old 250gts, these 270.61tesla are good too, much better then any quadro or GF atm., by better i mean stabler fps and smooth gameplay.

15. Samuri

Samuri Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    I've never been a big fan of having to mod a driver, but I do love a nice smooth playing game. So I thought I would give these Tesla drivers a try.

Loaded with no problem, and seemed to run real nice. Then all of a sudden after about 10 minutes of play, my game froze with small white boxes all over the screen. it stuttered for about 5 seconds, then the game continued like nothing was wrong.

I do overclock my card, but it was no hotter than any other time.
    Right around the 55 degree area, (cool for this card).

Does this sound like it would be associated with these drivers?
    I've never seen it before.

Any thoughts or suggestions??
    Thanks!

16. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    in what game?

Well I never had such issues yet and i have these tesla for over good 2 weeks now i've played various games old and new.. But i did with Quadros a few times.

Also it could be vram OC.. some drivers can be picky if you OC your gpu vram to high..

17. Samuri

Samuri Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Modern Warefare 2...

18. cyberbeing

cyberbeing Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 770 2GB
    The_Hunter, I'm sorry to say, but the Quadro and Tesla 270.61 packages currently on NVIDIA's servers are perfectly identical, down the the nv_disp.inf and even the WHQL certification nv_disp.cat file. NVIDIA just renamed the package from Quadro to Tesla. Infinity7_00 claimed there was a difference in smoothness between the two, and that is impossible with the files available today. All being equal, dropping a modified inf in either package today would yield identical results. As you can see from the screenshot below, the inf files are the same.

b101uk, the core driver files in the Tesla, Quadro, and Desktop 270.61 have identical file hashes. The Tesla and Quadro 270.61 have identical file packages. The NvCplSetupInt.exe is also the same in all versions, as you can see from the screenshot below. Did you download the English driver package? The extra bloat in the NvCplSetup comes from foreign localization files. The nv_disp.inf and hardware identification is how NVIDIA manages the feature needs for different hardware. Since the core driver files in all 270.61 packages are identical, any difference you see would come from how the nv_disp.inf was modded not the driver files themselves. Identical results could be achived with both Quadro and Tesla packages. Depending on what you modded, there could potentially be a missing file (which has nothing to do with 2D/3D rendering) in the Desktop package.

[​IMG]
    Previous screenshot: http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9691/27061.png

I fully support the use of Quadro and Tesla releases IF THEY ARE DIFFERENT. Occasionally NVIDIA releases identical drivers for all product lines, as happened here. Wait a few driver revisions, and they will likely diverge again.This is why for years I have always extracted and checked driver revisions (the r2XX_XX-XX numbers), file hashes, and at times even the strings, so I don't waste my time installing identical drivers releases like these 270.61.

19. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    :pc1:i didnt bother to read all that.., i know it has the same number its from the same branch too r270_40-18 but there is a difference believe it or not im not gonna discus this any further.

And no one is forcing you to use them, just know this they are different because they FIXED DIRT2 BSOD CRASH - both quadro 270.61 and geforce 270.61 had it, and that's all that matters to me and they are smoother then any driver 270.xx atm too.

Also i tested allot drivers lately and in the past so i know a thing or two how nv drivers work, ty.

Good day.

20. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    someone else noticing much mouse lag in FPS games? For me i get in Crysis 2, Quake 3 those issues, test it a bit more or will go back to 270.61 Geforce or try the 270.71 Quadros