Consindering GTS 450

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by northo, May 4, 2011.

1. northo

northo Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTS 450
    Hello there!

I'm thinking of getting the GTS 450 soon in about 6 weeks. Just a question before buying.

My PSU is 460, the requirement for 450 use is 450W, is there a slim chance of it to work on my computer?
    Also, I hope it doesn't bottleneck my computer :)

Thanks again! :)

Although, I was interested in the GTX 550 Ti edition, but I heard it was crap.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  2. crap daddy

crap daddy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    I am running on my second machine a GTS450 on a noname 430W PSU, the card requires minimum 22A on the 12V rail (s), check that out but I assume it will be OK. No bottleneck (what's that after all?) but what were you able to do anyway with that 9400GT?

3. northo

northo Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTS 450
    Well recently, I have been using the dead 8800gt for a while...
    Have to keep baking it to keep using it which is annoying.

I'm not really consindering on the GTS450 anymore, but stick to Gigabyte GTX 460, but I read on user reviews that, that card dies after 5-6 months which is my concern.

4. crap daddy

crap daddy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    What do you mean it dies? Choose another brand if you are not confortable with the Gigabyte version of 460 and what version did you hear is finished in 6 months? All cards are covered in warranties so I don't see the point. But for the 460 I'd get a better PSU, since you don't specify your brand, you need min 24 Amps and two 6pin connectors.

5. northo

northo Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTS 450
    I don't know, lot of people just say they die after a couple months for some reason. Right now i have again, went to decision of GTX 550 Ti or GTS 450

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Between GTX550Ti and GTS450, I'd go with the GTX550Ti.....but if you're willing to reconsider the GTX460, mine is currently nearly 9 months old....but as "crap daddy" suggested, you'll probably need a new PSU as it's power requirements are higher (24amp on 12v rail(s)

7. northo

northo Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTS 450
    Did the 8800gt require 24 on 12 rail? If it did i should be fine with 550 Ti

8. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    Note that a charge rating of 24A/22A is the current rating of the whole system typically at full load, not just the video card alone, only an SLI/crossfire or dual GPU setup would consume that much. A GTS 450 would roughly draw around 8 to 9A of current alone at max (higher when overclocked), slightly higher for GTX 550 Ti.
    My 9600GT overclocked is plugged on a PSU with only 18A charge rating, but the requirements of the 9600GT is around 22-24A according to the manufacturer. Used it for 3 years, upgraded both PSU and GPU now but they are still working.

9. northo

northo Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTS 450
    Well..
    I got the GTS 450, installed it, and it's going great, power supply is still good and is well with the card.

Thanks for the help :)