Sapphire Radeon 5850 Exreme + LG 42LE5300 HDMI connection question

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by scorchio, May 3, 2011.

1. scorchio

scorchio Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5850 Extreme
    Hello guys,

I have a question about the above setup.

Currently I have my Radeon 5850 connected to my LED 42 FHD display and also a PS3.

I just got the card yesterday and connected it using an HDMI cable, downloaded the latest Catalyst 11.4 drivers and I'm using VLC Media Player to play HD movies.

Previously I didn't have an HDMI card so I used my PS3 to stream HD movies from my PC to my TV using the PS3 Media Server (It uses MEncoder to decode the data), the quality of the streaming was incredible, the sound and picture quality is sharp and crisp even at 720p movies, not to mention the outstanding quality of 1080p movies.

However, when connecting my 5850, there is a clear difference in the quality (I used the same HDMI gold plated cable to test this). At first I used WMPlayer and the picture quality received by a direct connection to the PC was lower, it's wasn't as sharp and far more pixelized and grainy, the colors are not as good as well.

I removed all my Codec packs and downloaded the VLC Media Player which has its own built in decoder and uses GPU acceleration - results were better, but still, not as good as when streaming from the PS3.

Are there any 3rd side applications needed in order to improve the image quality when connecting a GPU to the TV? I was told that I could tweak some settings with the CD that I received with my TV in order to output 100Hz from the GPU (The TV is 100Hz) and achieve a better quality, I still haven't had the time to try this but I have the CD at home and I'll check it out later.

It puzzles me that the quality from the PS3 is better since the Radeon 5850 is far more superior than the PS3's GPU so it should provide at least the same image quality, if not far better.

Any help would be appreciated, Zach.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Go into the catalyst control centre and disable all video enhancements, only way for Bluray.

3. scorchio

scorchio Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5850 Extreme
    Hey,

Actually the image was distorted on the Desktop as well not just when watching Blu Ray but I figured out the solution.

Catalyst was scaling my display to fit the TV and that caused the image to look blurry, I disabled the scaling and set overscan to 0% and then let the TV scan the image size itself, presto, everything looks much better.

4. MonsterStorm88

MonsterStorm88 New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 470 Twinfrozr II
    this is exactly what my problem is that I opened a thread about. The quality of watching HD content on PS3 is way better than on PC. I believe their actually isnt true HD for PC yet cause ive tried everything myself an it shouldnt be that difficult if it did exist

5. scorchio

scorchio Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5850 Extreme
    Well, if you are playing an original BluRay CD on the PS3 and comparing it to a 1080p HD movie you have on your computer, BluRay will definitely be superior because 1080p is still a compressed HD format, it is not true HD otherwise you would have to download a 20-40GB uncompressed file, BluRay CDs can contain up to 60GB of data. However, playing the CD on a BluRay drive on your PC should produce identical results.

With that being said, have you checked my reply to your thread? It might help you improve the display when connecting your PC to your TV using an HDMI cable, it certainly improved things for me.

6. badiroula

badiroula Guest

GPU:
    gt 540m
    hello iam new here i have 42le5300 and a new laptop. When i connect my pc with HDMI and iam wathcing movies i have a problems at some scenes it seems like is going slow please help me ii dont know very well english and iam so desperate :( my pc's video card is Nvidia GT540M