5870 Vapor-X Non OC'd version - fizz then crash

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Kaltern, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Kaltern

Kaltern Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 Super
    Just managed to find myself one of these as an upgrade to my 5770. After installing as normal, naturally I want to fire it up and see what it can do. WHat it can do, apparently, is while using MSI Kombustor it'll make a rather unsettling fizzy/buzzing sound for a few seconds, and then power the PC down :eek3:

What could that be, it boots up fine, Windows runs fine. Some games run, but nowhere near the FPS I was expecting.

I might have thought PSU, but I don't really see how.

Specs for my machine that I can remember :p

e7500 @ 2.93
    6gb DDR2
    700w PSU, using 1x6 PCI and 1x molex converted to 1x6
    Windows 7 64bit
    Help? :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Sounds like you've burned something out. Using the 1 x SATA converted to 1 x 6 is probably a bad idea. You should nowadays have a PSU that has at least 2 6 pin connectors on it, if not more than that. Get a new PSU is my suggestion that can actually run your card without adapters.

3. Kaltern

Kaltern Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 Super
    What could have burned out, a component on the card? Wouldn't that just cause the card to not function at all?

I am a little thick, I just realised I said sata converter. I meant normal Molex converter of course :nerd: I ensured that the power line is soley used for the card too. But yes, I am probably going to need a new PSU anyway.

4. summmat

summmat Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 (unlocked)
    A bit of elaboration for not anywhere near the FPS you'd expect would be nice. Check the clock speeds when gaming using afterburner or gpu-z and see if the card is correctly increasing its clock speeds to what it should be for 3d gaming. Also try running 3dmark vantage and comparing *GPU* scores to known good ones to see how close to what you'd expect from that card its producing. The CPU is probably not hugely helping things, but it shouldn't hold back things too much, especially in 3dmark gpu score, so that's where I'd test to see if GPU is happy.

Fizzing sound is not good, but equally a 700W PSU should be plenty (Assuming its not the cheapest of cheap PSU's) for that card, I'm running a 620W with a 6950 flashed to 6970 and an overclocked i7 920 without any issues at all pulling only ~430W at the wall under gaming load. If everything else seems fine with the system, I'd probably just keep using it, but keeping a close eye on how its behaving, make it earn your trust! Maybe try connecting a second molex to the molex to PCI-E adapter too. Most of them have two molex connections to allow you to spread the load if your PSU has multiple +12 rails, and its absolutely worth using them.

*DO NOT* use kombustor (aka Furmark), there's a number of sites (guru3d included) that have dropped it as a test due to the fact its a real outlier in stress testing as it puts so much more artificial load on the GPU than any real world situation ever would, its just not realistic at all. People *have* literally 'kombusted' their graphics cards using it, just stay away!

5. Kaltern

Kaltern Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 Super
    Sorry about the lack of info, I wanted to get this issue 'out there', so I can work on getting it resolved. I'm not a particularly well off guy, so this is quite a lot of money for me to not have any more :p

Just for an example - while I was waiting on the card, I was using an ancient 8600GTS, and ok, not si good at 1920x1080 obviously, but I was getting staggering results from Dirt 2, turning a few details down to low, I was reaching a more or less steady 60fps, which I was stunned at tbh lol. Stuck this card in, and even at the same res (1280x720) and detail levels, I was just scraping 40fps :| Taking into account DX10, I would still have expected that to be soaring way up from those sort of scores.

Other games are pretty much the same story. So the card can play them, but I do hear that horrid sounding noise, which I can't quite locate on the card exactly.

BTW, is the Vapor X fan at 100% supposed to sound like a jet engine?

I will definitely try the molex suggestion.

6. Kaltern

Kaltern Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 Super
    Ok, this is bizzare.

Tried a 3dMark11 test, extreme performance, and that fizzing sound? It was ticking in time with every frame of the test! That can't be good :(

The test crashed at the physics test, so I can't even give a score :(

Any ideas??

7. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    huuum maybe dead PSU ? how much 12V Amp got this PSU on the 12V ?

Or check maybe how are set the rail..( some PSU as old TT have strange 12V rails share/set, for example 12V rail3, can be only 8A ( essentially made for wire leds, or fans ) , if you wire GPU on this one ( using a 2 molex converter ) the result will be the card don't hav enough Amp in full load )

.... look for me like a PSU issue .. or maybe the card ... hard to tell.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  8. Kaltern

Kaltern Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 Super
    Hmm it is a PSU that came with a prebuilt PC.. I'll take a closer look at the stats.

Managed to get 3dMark11 to complete - score for Extreme mode - X1797, that doesn't seem right somehow either, considering I cannot find a benchmark on their website with my CPU, and the nearest I could find to my score was a Intel Core i7-975 Processor Extreme Edition with a score of X1728 :|

That can't be right, surely?!

9. Kaltern

Kaltern Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 Super
    On closer inspection, it's the PSU that's ticking away... that sounds very much like it could be switching to compensate for power drain?

10. Kaltern

Kaltern Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 Super
    I just found a 2x molex to 1x PCI-E converter and swapped that in, the games now run at a blisteringly good pace... but then it just kills the PC dead and I have to physically switch it off and on to reboot, so I am definitely going with a lck of power from the PSU. Damn. I ain't got a spare 50 quid lol

11. MrBox

MrBox Guest

Don't bother buying a $50 crappy PSU. If you want your card and components to have good clean power just save your money. Alternately you might be able to go on a site like craigstlist and find someone who is selling parts. I picked up a brand new Antec earthwatts 650watt psu for my wife's build for $15. It was unopened!

Don't skimp on power though. It is the heart of your computer. The electricity being the blood.

12. summmat

summmat Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 (unlocked)
    I fully agree, new PSU needed. DO NOT skimp on it. The PSU is what powers everything else. I'd prefer to spend £80 on a good 600W PSU than £35 on a cheap 750W PSU. Assuming you don't plan on adding another graphics card you'd be fine with a decent 500W. A Corsair CX500 would only set you back around £50 and should be plenty for your needs. Please do not go cheap just to get one more quickly, its as critical a component as your motherboard or anything else in there.

I saw a comparison of three identically rated PSU's on anandtech a while back, all 600W or something, the cheapest one they got blew up once they asked it to provide more than about 300W of power. A lovely illustration of how poor the cheap PSU's really are!

13. swiekekodok

swiekekodok Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD2900XT @CF
    i think this is the main problems,....

why u should do like that?

u must buy a new PSU that have 1x6 pin more than 1,..

what PSU that u use for?