Problems with my GPU

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AeonGorospe, Apr 12, 2011.

?

Do you encounter the same problems with your GPU?

1. Yes, I surely do.

33.3%
  2. Heck no!

66.7%
  1. AeonGorospe

AeonGorospe Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 Ti Sonic
    Hey guys. I'm a new member here @ Guru3D. I would like to ask you about my current GPU. (For my specs just take a peek at the details below my name) First of all, pardon me for being such a newb regarding these stuff, I just started having interest in the gaming generation. Second, I ask these questions so that Co-GPU owners can help me with my problems.
    MY CURRENT SPECS:
    http://img27.imageshack.us/i/capturefxo.png/

Is my CPU bottlenecking my GPU?
    Well with my CPU being only 2.66Ghz and all, do you think I am having a bottleneck? It's because whenever I play Just Cause 2 and run the Concrete Jungle benchmark, I roughly see my FPS go higher than ~28fps, REGARDLESS OF SETTINGS AND RESOLUTION. Unfortunately my MoBo(Since its an HP stock FOXCONN MoBo) prevents me from overclocking my CPU by locking it, and I don't have that much knowledge in CPU overclocking.
    In simple terms:
    ME=>:bang::pc1:<=OVERCLOCKING

Are these DEFECTS? (ENLARGE IMAGES TO SEE)
    Vertical lines in Benchmarks= http://img251.imageshack.us/i/endlesscity201104122254.jpg/
    Grainy Glass Surface in JC2= http://img163.imageshack.us/i/justcause22011041223245.jpg/
    Jaggy Shadows in pretty much any game= http://img690.imageshack.us/i/bfbc2game20110412232056.jpg/ and http://img18.imageshack.us/i/justcause22011041223261.jpg/

What can I do to fix these stuff?
    Please suggest things that I can do to resolve these problems.
    All answers will be highly appreciated. Thanks :)

2. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    If your talking about the lines i see in the benchmark that is because of Ambient Occlusion and means your GPU is not defect.

Not sure about the Grainy Glass but i bet its normal

Those Jaggy Shadows are in alot of games so don't worry about them

PS. yes your CPU is Bottlenecking your GPU by alot.
    and you should Change your PSU to a more sturdier one. It might not cause you trouble now but in the future i think it will.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  3. Grahf

Grahf Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    EDIT: Despite what you'll hear, I must insist that your CPU is *not* bottlenecking your video card *by much*.
    To get some idea:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bottleneck,2737.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446-16.html

Not by much as far as that card's concerned anyway; you would definitely see a little bit of improvement with some overclocking though.
    The fact that the CPU is locked is (usually) irrelevant. I had an E6400 (stock 2.13ghz) running at 3.2ghz for 4 years on an even older Intel-brand motherboard. A locked CPU is no problem as long as you can up the FSB, etc...

Not sure about the vertical lines in the first pic but..
    ROFLMAO @ ur other pics. No, my friend, those are NOT defects. Jaggy shadows are just using lower-res textures; universal in most games at SOME level. The grainy glass surface is similar; blame the game designers.

Those are not problems, just limitations of today's video game graphics.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  4. AeonGorospe

AeonGorospe Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 Ti Sonic
    Does that mean those 'jaggy' shadows in the JC2 warehouse surface are not affected by the "High" shadow settings and the "Hi-res Shadows" which were ticked on by that moment? And I can see in the other user gameplay's of BFBC2 and NFS:Shift2U that the same jaggy edges weren't present. Don't you think my CPU speed is actually connected to the problem?

Regarding CPU Overclocking:

I have nTune installed and the only things that were locked were the fan speeds and the voltage sliders. FSB clock and PCI-E clock sliders were unlocked and are free to move. Can you teach be some basics of overclocking? Because in a random moment yesterday I suddenly became stupid and moved the FSB +30mhz and PCI-E clocks +30mhz, hit apply, BAM. Instant BSOD. EPIC. lol I need to learn these stuff, can you help me start the overclocking? Pretty please :)

PS. Recently I checked some of my BIOS settings and my Primary Video Adapter is set to PCI, whereas my card is PCI-E 2.0, so I changed it to PCI-E. Did I do anything wrong?
    Regarding PCI Buses. The GTX 560 supports PCI-E 2.0 x16 bus, whilst I have PCI-E 1.0 x16( I know it means PCI-E 2.0 x8 ). How much is the performance deducted from the actual speeds, and am I currently experiencing it in games like JC2 and DR2? In the first place I know I should have bought a new MoBo and CPU first before spending all my money(for now. bwahaha!) on a GPU that won't even perform in their par speeds. >.<

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    First thing is overclocking in the OS is a no no. Second thing is, generally speaking, there is never a need to change the PCIe bus speed unless you're doing some ridiculously high benching overclocks. The best way to OC is in the BIOS. If that isn't an option for you, you may be able to get a bit more performance by overclocking your GPU using MSI Afterburner.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If you want to know if your CPU is fully occupied or if a core is maxing out, check CPU occupancy ;)
    This will vary with different hardware, games and game/gfx settings.
    So test for yourself.

7. AeonGorospe

AeonGorospe Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 Ti Sonic
    To tell you the truth, I am trying to overclock my CPU not to increase performance, but to reduce/remove the bottleneck present in my rig. That's why I need help on how to OC my CPU since the only clocks that were unlocked to be OC'd is the FSB clock and the PCI-E clock.

PS. I use stock coolers and stock fans.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You dont need to consider bottlenecks if they arent causing performance problems.

9. Ramair325

Ramair325 Member Guru

GPU:
    3 BFG 280gtx
    You always have a "bottleneck" period. Bottlenecking occurs when one component is slower than another, with the way games are written the GPU, memory/subsystem, CPU all have uneven load throughout a game (its every game not just some unless its possibly a 2d game witch only uses CPU to render). The real question is how does the game play? Is it smooth enough for you to kill enemies, complete objectives? If not then maybe its time to upgrade your platform imo dont waste your money on a "upgraded cpu" with the same old motherboard your better off buying a whole new mother board cpu and ram. Possibly selling your old one. The new 2500/2600k cpu's are really a gamers dream cpu and imo reasonably priced for the performance you get. make sure you get a "P"67 mobo with a "K" CPU that way if you ever feel like dabbling in the o/c world you can with no added cost and the total cost is very little over the non-overclocking setup. Also the new 2500/2600k cpu's are unlocked when you get the K version so o/c couldent be easier enter bios advance menu enter in the CPU multiplier and hit f10 bam 4.4 without touching a thing lol. This would be a quad core with HT (hyperthreading) so it will show up as 8 cores if you opt for the 2600k. Just so you know most games today including games that use all 4 cores are still limited to single core performance ie clock speed of the CPU, so if your big into having shadow effects physics or partial effects CPU speed is what your looking for.
    *Edit* ~you have a decent CPU? Whats the model number if its a 45nm~(very nice screen shot btw!) It is a 45nm and should, with a good air cooler do 3.8 with ease maybe just do a little reading (googling) to learn more about how to o/c the cpu you have.
    lots of information available to those who chose to look for it.

First things first get a good brand power supply don't gamble with a cheapo PS you have too much money invested to lose it to a 50$ PS!!!!! Look for a Thermaltake, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Silverstone. For your system a good quality PS would likely only need be 400w-500w Thermaltake makes a nice 430w for under 40$ Another thing to remmber is cheap PS from almost any vender that i did not mention will only put out roughly half or less than what its says it can do @ 50c. IMHO Thermaltake is the only way to go cheap(compared to similar grade PS's) good quality good customer service.

PS: I certainly hope your not under my bed. That would just be creepy....

10. Ramair325

Ramair325 Member Guru

GPU:
    3 BFG 280gtx
    I would take a look at ebay see if you cant get a nice overclocker mobo for cheap say under 100$ take your time check back daily see if you cant snag one :p If not just save up and get your self a new SB (2500/2600k) you wont believe how much of a difference a few mhz can make on a games performance. A few things to look for when buying a o/c board make sure its a full atx board no micro's ever.... I suggest ASUS or maybe Gigabyte, EVGA, for a brand. GL :)

11. Ramair325

Ramair325 Member Guru

GPU:
    3 BFG 280gtx
    Um just noticed your vcore in CPU-Z states its at 2.144 volts!!!! might want to check your bios....

12. Ramair325

Ramair325 Member Guru

GPU:
    3 BFG 280gtx
    wonder what your cpu temps are at that voltage lol.

13. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    ok a stock quad cpu WILL bottleneck a GTX560 Ti to some degree

my lowly q6600 @ stock 2.4ghz wont allow my GTX275 to use any more than 60% of the gpu in any game.

@ 3.2ghz however it does use 99% of the gpu most of the time. i agree that games are all coded differently but as long as the cpu gives enough speed to the gpu it will perform better, i do stress however that in my system going over 3.2ghz has zero impact on fps or benchmark scores .. except cpu only benchmarks which get marginally better the faster the cpu runs

14. Ramair325

Ramair325 Member Guru

GPU:
    3 BFG 280gtx
    My guess is your memory bound try some tighter timing memory. I notice big improvements up to 4.2ghz on my i7 and i just picked up some new memory and it amazing what it can do for your minimum fps. That or your gpu bound try lower resolution to test, but yes your right as long it plays your games that is all that matters :)

15. AeonGorospe

AeonGorospe Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 Ti Sonic
    LMFAO I never saw that before! Is that bad? I see i7s and they just run on 1.5+ volts. What do you think happened? Or is it pretty ordinary in my case?

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If it was running at 2.1V, you would probably have a fire or at minimum a dead CPU.
    2.1V is 96% more power than 1.5V and 1.5V is already too high!

So its a reporting error whcih is probably why Ramair325 recommended checking the BIOS.
    I think he meant check the BIOS version as there is likely an update.

As mentioned earlier, you may be able to overclock the CPU with your current motherboard.
    The multipliers are always prevented from being raised beyond the spec level unless you have a specific overclocking version of the chip.
    The way to overclock is to raise the FSB.
    Note that this also raises the memory speed so you may need to compensate by slowing the memory settings in the BIOS setup.

17. AeonGorospe

AeonGorospe Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 Ti Sonic
    1. Yeah, maybe the 2+ voltage is pretty much an error given by CPU-Z, which looks pretty similar like this. http://img412.imageshack.us/i/voltage4pv.jpg/

2. I can control my FSB and PCI-E clocks with nTune. Unfortunately:
    -I have absolutely no overclocking skills. Maybe some knowledge, but not skills.
    -Voltage is locked together with fan speed.
    -Multiplier is also locked between x6 and x8.

3. How do I check the system stability with ORTHOS? Please be specific because when people answer in general I just get more confused.

4. EXACTLY how does increasing the FSB affect the CPU speed? I'm really confused on these stuff, sorry bout that. (T^T)

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Be sure to lock the PCI-E bus by settings its speed to 100MHz manually.
    Overclocking this also overclocks the PCI bus and can cause hard drive failure as the hard drive interface will run on either PCI-E or PCI.

You should read the overclocking sticky.

Heres a simple version:
    Dont use nTune, use your BIOS to overclock.

Set your multi to x8
    The CPU speed is the multi x FSB.
    So when using a x8 multi, a 300MHz FSB will give you a CPU speed of 2.4GHz.
    Because of the low multiplier, you need to reach quite high FSB speeds which tend to get more difficult around 360MHz+ with a quad core chip, hopefully you wont have any problems.

Start off by reducing your CPU voltage to its correct rating.
    (I just read that you cant change the voltage, so ignore the voltage bits for now)
    This will be somewhere around 1.2V, you may as well start at 1.3V.
    The max rated voltage for your chip is 1.376V, only exceed this if your temps are below 72C.
    1.4V is out of spec but should be ok if you have VERY good cooling, I dont recommend going higher as you can damage the chip.
    If your cooling isnt up to snuff, 1.4V can damage the chip too.

Find the max overclock you can get at 1.3V to start with (with your mobo, just use the default voltage).
    It is only stable after running a program like Prime95 for as long as you use your PC hard.
    QUICK METHOD: While finding the fastest overclock, you can Prime95 test for say 5 mins and then progress to 5MHz higher FSB.
    When it fails within 5 mins, you have already exceeded the max overclock and need to back off say 5 to 15MHz on the FSB.
    If you havent hit your target speed and temps are good, you can raise the CPU voltage a little (ie from 1.30V to 1.31V) and see how high you can clock.
    WATCH TEMPS LIKE A HAWK, stay below 72C.

Once you have found your max clock, if you game for 4 hours, make sure it is Prime stable for at least 4 hours.
    If it fails, back off say 5MHz on the FSB and test again.

There are components other than the CPU that get hot, these can cause instability or crashes if they get too hot.
    It may be worthwhile blowing an 80mm or 120mm fan at the components near the CPU socket.
    I do this on every PC build as a fail safe, even if not overclocking.

To be Prime stable, non of the cores should error.
    If any error happens while testing, its not stable, simple as that.

Remember to reduce your memory speed as you raise the FSB.
    Otherwise you will have no idea what is unstable if the overclock fails.

Thats a short guide and doesnt include everything that can happen or how to wring the last bit extra out of the overclock.
    It should get you most of the way there though.

19. AeonGorospe

AeonGorospe Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 Ti Sonic
    WHOA WHOA WHOA THANKS MAN! This is a BIG BIG help for me! I owe you. :)

UPDATE: I can't change or even view my BIOS settings for clocks! Darn HP for locking the BIOS settings. May I still continue with the overclocking with nTune? :/