How Crytek doomed Crysis 2's PC version

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I hope 2x 6990's can max BF3.

Because if it cant, then I have very little hope of running it on low^^

Also, 2x6990 will be stronger than like two generations of high end cards that come after it, so if it can't max it, that just means really sloppy optimizing.

The videos showcasing BF3, are stunning already, and beat Crysis 1 & 2 without a doubt, do they need to look better? NO:p

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I think the same way, there are lots of games that run very well on mid-range systems, nothing wrong with having one or two that takes things a step further, and i would love if there were lots of old games that had futureproof settings, as it might be shallow, but whenever i buy an old game i haven't played, the first thing i do is go mod hunting.

BF3 isn't something im hugely looking forward to myself, but its not really aimed at me, but im sure i heard BF3 was running on a single 580 with no issues, so i doubt it will need much, and with them already excluding XP users it would be business suicide for a predominantly MP game to go to over the top with hardware requirements.

3. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    lol, well i ment 2x6970's nearly running BF3 max at about 1080P and 60FPS avg, but i run a 3 screen eyefinity setup at 5040x1050, and im hoping i can play it at medium settings and get 45FPS average. Time will tell, but the videos DICE showed at GDC were not doubt running on 2x580's or maybe even 3x580's as the said it was highly unoptimised.

The other thing is that the consoles will get lighting fixed and baked onto the maps, whereas PC will have full dynamic lighting, which hopefully results in time of day changes during a map which would be amazing.

No 1 card could max BF2 on release, it was released in June 21'st and it wasnt until the 7800GTX was released in November that it could be maxed @ 1280x1024, im hoping for something similar with BF3 if its as fun as BF2 because it makes you upgrade but enjoy the game more and is one of the reasons i played the game so much upto 4-5 years after release.

Exactly, its horrid getting old( but good games ) and they look like absolute junk gfx, so being a little future proof is great.

As for the single 580 in BF3? do you have a link to that? as i highly doubt it would run on a single 580, mainly because as i said above the console have fixed lighting and again above BF2 couldnt be maxed on release apart from SLI or Crossfire( dont even know if that was possible back then for ATI cards ) and SLI was in its early stages. So they went over the top on BF2 release already, even to enjoy it at its maximum ment a decent mouse with dynamic DPI for sniping, an XFI soundcard, semi decent joystick( for the helli's/jets ) and what not( i know i had to buy it all lol )

Im a huge BF2 fan, thought BC2 was too much like CoD and not as slow paced as BF2. I loved doing slow team based clan matches( nothing serious ) in BF2, and those times are actually my favourite gaming moments.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
  6. StrangeArt

StrangeArt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    There is just too much complaining about this game from a pc gamer's perspective. Just note that I am a PC gamer and will be one until I die.

What I see a lot is... DX9...blah blah...bitch and moan...blah blah...too linear...blah blah...I'm whining like a little girl...blah blah

Most probably from people who have never even touched the game.

Now I have gone through a couple of levels and I must say the game is REALLY enjoyable.

Graphics:
    -----------
    Crytek has proven that DX9 is not dead that is for sure. It is amazing what they could get out of it. Crysis 1 DX10 looks ugly against this. I'm sure that when the DX11 patch comes out we will probably see graphics improvements but as it stands, there is no real need. Oh and no jaggies :).

Gameplay
    -----------
    Now this is what I'm talking about. It feels a lot more solid than Crysis 1. The Nano suit plays a more important role than in the 1st instalment. Coupled with the tactical view and suit upgrades I must say it wants me to play it over and over. As I mentioned people talk about how linear it is. Just because the levels are tighter does not mean it is more linear. In actual fact, you get multiple flanking positions where you can do silent kills from behind and so forth.

Overall a great experience so far with no bugs at all.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    now we all know this was gona happen soon as the MENTIONED CONSOLES. and WE all knews it would wind up being consoles. Crysis might of pirated like all other pc games, but I will to bet crysis 2 is more pirated cause how they sold the PC people out and gave us a ****ty port.

Pirating is bad and wrong, but I also think the PC software companies are the reason why pirating is getting worse

8. StrangeArt

StrangeArt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    GTA IV was a ****ty port. For the reason that it performed badly on even the best systems (Better now with high end systems). I don't fully see how they sold us out? It is still a very good game. Very enjoyable. Great gameplay, graphics and no performance lag.

I feel that people who pirate this game will try to use any excuse to justify their actions. I am certain that I will get half the community breathing down my neck for this as well. But they know it is the truth.

So far the game is worth every penny I spent on it.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Cause it could of been so much better if it was done and released FIRST for PC and then released for console 6 month to year later, and we all know the PC wouldnt of had corners cut, like they took. Seriously name me one Multi platform game that had PC version that dont have Bits and pieces of Console code STILL IN THE PC VERSION and dont have performance issues or other things missing.

Im not say the game isnt worth it and people shouldnt buy it, im just saying it could of been so much better.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  10. StrangeArt

StrangeArt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    There is no guarantee that they would not have cut corners either way. In the end they are a business and spending another year on it might not have been viable. They still have employees to pay and so forth and so forth.

I would also like a reasonable list of things that they could have done better. Things like them using DX9 and lack of advanced gpu options are really non issues and people nitpicking.

I guess you could say that all games could have been made so much better. There is just no real way to measure it unless there are definite faults that stand out. With Crysis 2 there aren't really. Like I said it is still a top notch game.

11. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    I agree, i think people are getting to hung up and what it doesnt do than what it does do, its got a nice graphics, runs well, plays really well and is generally a good game, in a crowd of FPS's that have been pretty boring recently (excluding bulletstorm) i think its nice to have.

If the origional had sold millions then crysis 2 may have never have reached consoles, but it was never going to, crytek want to make money, simple as.

12. StrangeArt

StrangeArt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    For sure. I have yet to play Bulletstorm. I hear it is very good. My friend freaked out about it with all the funny combos :)

13. Nosgoth

Nosgoth Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 260 GTX Black Ed.
    That's more to do with Crytek not using the PS3 properly, a lot of 360 to PS3 ports suffer from the same issues because the teams just port the engine, it's the same reason we pc gamers get some console ports that run like crap
    The companies are saving money by using the 360 as their main focus, the PS3 owners are getting the same treatment as us on a regular basis

Crytek themselves claim that Crysis sold over 3 million copies, that's great numbers for a pc game that had some fairly steep hardware needs

Not played Crysis 2 yet but it looks decent enough and I do like the tv ad

14. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    encountered bugs within first 30mins

15. StrangeArt

StrangeArt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    Bad luck then it seems

16. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    i agree with you though, people are too whiny about DX10/11.

although i still miss the complete open sandbox style from farycry/crysis. it's just not the same. this game will be a one-time pass through for me and ill prob never play again :(.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    see what happens when they make game with console in mind and pc last? think that LBP and few other games are really the only sandbox style games on consoles

18. StrangeArt

StrangeArt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    I doubt that the reason behind it not being sandbox has something to do with the console medium. I think it was more a gameplay decision. The tighter environments help with the build up of action and tenseness.

19. iZomBaDi

iZomBaDi Guest

GPU:
    Asus Titan X no oc
    Can't agree with all you all who say the game is disappointing. I find that the game is absolutely fantastic; visuals the best I have seen in any game yet, gameplay - right on the money as fas as I am concerned.

Not sure what expectations you had, but I had absolutely none. Perhaps that's why I am not critical. All I know is that the game plays perfectly on my machine with everything on 'hardcore' mode - for me that's more than enough...

:eek:rder:
    :zap:

20. StrangeArt

StrangeArt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    Fully agree :)