267.84 drivers!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Carfax, Mar 24, 2011.

1. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    I have no flickering , driver 267.24 and this 267.84 run very smooth.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Only because I tamper more than others. I mean who else backs up then reimports their profiles with every new driver install to avoid AA flags and other customisations such as spelling errors, incorrectly named games, etc., being overwritten? ;)

I only have myself to blame really but overall I have very few problems these days; far less than my HD 5870 CFX days anyway!!!

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I think I'm making progress in identifying what caused StarCraft II to crash with these drivers after importing a previous backed up profiles file using the SLI Profile Tool.

I was doing some messing around this morning after installing the slightly newer (presumably) 267.85 drivers from the link on Guru3D.com. I used the same modded INF as I used for 267.84 but when I tried to again import the profiles from 267.60 using the SLI Profile Tool, after backing up the working default ones from the 267.85 install, I got the SCII crash.

What I've done so far is to import the custom profiles I'd backed up using NVIDIA Inspector 1.9.5.5 but, unfortunately, this tool only backs up custom profiles and not those that have edited names. So I first checked that SCII loads with these added custom profiles - which they did - then backed up the 267.85 profile as a file with "(Original)" at the end so I could manually edit the default one with Notepad++. If they caused SCII to crash then I'd have the option to revert back to the last saved ones or these Originals ones which I knew worked.

Phew! I started editing the profiles and every few amendments I saved then reimported it (to check it was still valid) then ran SCII to make sure it didn't crash. Tedious but I was determined to get to the root of the issue as I had an import error with the leaked 270.32 and the 270 branch is likely to be the next set.

Anyway... I discovered something interesting...

I eventually got an "Unable to import" error in the SLI Profile Tool. After a little investigation I found out that I have two profile entries for games where I've added them manually prior to the driver including them. The manual one shows with a UserSpecified=true value in the Profile name header for each game entry. It seems that the drivers get confused if the two profiles have the EXACT same name but doesn't mind if they're different (they're case sensitive).

For example, I have two entries for Dawn of War II, a manual one I created called "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II" (exactly like that minus the quotes) with the UserSpecified=true flag I mentioned after the name and another driver one called "Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2" without this UserSpecified flag. If I rename the manual one also to "Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2", i.e. so they both have the same name, then the SLI Profile Tool returns an error when I try to import it. The solution is to either delete the manual entry or edit the names so they're the same but remove the UserSpecified=true entry for the Profile name header.

I didn't have time to test it thoroughly before work but I'm wondering if it is this duplication of profiles which is causing StarCraft II to crash as I checked and I *do* have two entries for the game, a manual one called "StarCraft II: Wings of Destiny" with UserSpecified=true and a driver one just called "StarCraft II". The other games I've played so far, Dragon Age II and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, both only have one manually created profile I believe so they wouldn't have been affected. I suspect that other games with both a manual and driver profile will also cause a crash in Nvd3dum.dll. This didn't cause a problem in the pre-267.84 drivers but it seems that NVIDIA have changed how they work slightly in 267.84 such that they now cause crashes if there are two entries (maybe the game doesn't know which to use and bombs out?).

Sorry for the long post but I thought someone might be interested to know in case they come across the same issue (unlikely I know as no-one fiddles around quite as much as me I'm sure!).

4. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    I am very displeased with the NV's driver policy:

namely, with publishing WHQL-logoed driver for ONLY ONE card! This is very confusing. The WHQL logo should mean that the driver is for GENERAL use (all or almost all cards, not just one model). If there's got to be 'dedicated' driver, like this one which is for 590 only, it should be labeled as 'BETA'.

5. Gyrxiur

Gyrxiur Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX660 2GB OC
    this problem only appears when I have maximized control panel window, when I don't, it works ok, strange...

edit: I tried resizing cpl window and when it is almost maximized, it also crashes, so problem is not maximalization, problem is window size. My resolution is 1680x1050.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  6. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    IntelĀ® HD Graphics
    Not really no.

WHQL means the driver has been tested by microsoft to work ok. It has nothing to do with general use which is why they specify models supported separately (and why beta drivers can still be for single cards).

They release a new product and they want quick turnaround so they only want it tested for the new product. Yes everyone knows how to get a modified inf these days but the point of that is it removes the WHQL certfication and covers their backs.

7. iCroW

iCroW Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX580 TFIIoc
  8. csjesse

csjesse Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 570
    quick question... with the latest driver from nvidia for the gtx 570, i'm unable to run any games in full screen mode; monitor loses signal and i have to restart. windowed is fine, plays like a champ.

monitor also loses signal if i try to 'rate my computer' through Windows 7's system rating.

any ideas?

9. forevermark1978

forevermark1978 Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon Mobility 5850
    Compatibilty Question

I have an alienware m15x and it has a ATI HD5850 installed in it. Previously i had a geforce 240m. I was wondering how do I get my phsyx to work now that i switched to ati. Homefront will not load because of this. Can anyone please help me???

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970

11. forevermark1978

forevermark1978 Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon Mobility 5850
    Thank a lot I'm giving it a go right now. You wouldn't by chance now how i could overclock this gpu would you? RivaTuner wont have supprt for it until the 2.25 release.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    MSI Afterburner should be able to.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I found the true cause of my StarCraft II crashes with this driver.

The first crash occurred when I enabled Indirect Shadows in the game menu and, thereafter, every time I loaded the game it would bomb out on the desktop.

Turned out that I had anti-aliasing forced in the game profile and that causes the game to crash to the desktop when Indirect Shadows are enabled in-game. The fix is to either disable Indirect Shadows in-game to use forced AA or disable forced AA to enable Indirect Shadows in-game without crashing.

Would have been nice to have known this before I wasted over four hours tweaking the profiles!!!

14. robwiel

robwiel New Member

GPU:
    GTX 580
  15. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Guru links ..... file not found !!!

someone please up on rapidshare hotfile filesonic or megaupload please ... English x64 win 7

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

16. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    I had no problems with the Guru link !!

But you can just go here : http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and select the GeForce GTX590 and do a search.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  17. Aveon

Aveon Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2
    Please put up a poll for this driver set

18. tvavra

tvavra Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX460 768MB
    I only download and install that new driver, im doing it wrong? I have never had any problem with that, but u guys using ccleaner and the other programs... thx for your answers :)

19. Whesel

Whesel Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080
    I had issues gettin gthe 267.84 off guru3d's DL page - tried to DL it from nvidia and got file not found there too - hmm - did a search for GTX590 and 267.85 poped up for DL. I guess Nvidia discovered something wrong with the .84 :)

20. PetritH

PetritH Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XT
    HOTFILE