Can't install Catalyst 11

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Razer(x), Mar 19, 2011.

1. Razer(x)

Razer(x) Guest

GPU:
    5870 HD
    Hi guys, i just cleaned my last driver, and now i'm not able to install a new driver. Here's what i got

[​IMG]

2. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Go to \ATI\Support\your driver version\Bin\installmanagerapp.exe
    and uninstall any remnants that was installed. Then reboot.

Next go to: \ATI\Support\your driver version\Packages\Apps\VC10RT\vcredist_\setup.exe and install or repair MS VC++ then reboot again. Make sure that whatever driver you installed is removed.

Next:
    1. Type: CMD in start's search box.
    2. Right click on CMD and run it as Administrator.
    3. At the dos prompt type: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 (this will show all hidden devices in Device Manager).
    4. Type devmgmt.msc (this will take you to Device Manager). Click on View and select Show Hidden Devices.
    5. Look in Display Adapter for any grayed out video cards (these are the ones that are hidden) and uninstall them. Or any old video cards you don't use.
    6. Goto Monitors and uninstall all gray out monitors listed. Or any old monitor devices you don't use. Finally go to Sound, Video and Game Controllers and uninstall all ATI High Definition Audio Devices.

Go back to Display Adapters. What name is used for your current video card?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  3. Razer(x)

Razer(x) Guest

GPU:
    5870 HD
    It's called "Graphic card Vga standard"

Now i can install a new driver?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  4. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    No, once you completed the instructions from my previous post go to:
    \ATI\Support\your driver version\Config\InstallManager.cfg
    Right click on it and select Edit. Then change:
    WorkaroundInstall=false
    to
    WorkaroundInstall=true

Save it and exit. Now go back to: \ATI\Support\your driver version\ and click on setup.exe to install the driver.

5. Razer(x)

Razer(x) Guest

GPU:
    5870 HD
    Thanks mate, it worked :)

Hope i don't have to do this every time

6. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    No, you shouldn't. I'm not sure what you did before. Just remember that from now on all you need to do is use ATI Catalyst Install Manager from the "Uninstall A Program". That's it. Don't use 3rd party file/registry cleaners when updating your ATI drivers. Also don't install "over top".

7. Razer(x)

Razer(x) Guest

GPU:
    5870 HD
    Yeah, probably the problem was the over the top installation.

8. Razer(x)

Razer(x) Guest

GPU:
    5870 HD
    UPDATE

As you told me, i've uninstalled the old driver, but the problem happened again :bang:

Do i need a format?

9. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    There seems to be something up with your registry. What it is exactly I don't know. A OS reinstall should resolve the problem but it's an extreme method. TWL's uninstall program should fix it but it may remove system manifests for ATI/Nvida (which could prevent you from installing SP1). The latest version is suppose to prevent that from what I've read but haven't tried it. Perhaps TWL can chime in on how to use it?

That or the most current version of driver sweeper may fix it. But I'm not sure how well it will clean ATI registry entries. TWL's cleaner will get ride of it but I have no idea how the newer version works because that is .exe file now not a zipped file giving you different programs. I hate to shuffle you off to someone else but you really need to ask TWL how his program works now. If it removes the registry entries w/o having to use the registry backup file to restore stock vga registry entries then you are good to go.

I know this all reads odd but you gotta ask him about it.