Dragon Age 2's textures not good enough for you?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Mkilbride, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Wanny

Wanny Guest

2. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    sorry for the question ;)

But where do i need to put those *.erf files and stuff to aktivate it?

greetz Beta

3. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    it looks good, sharpens the textures a bit. i'll try it.

4. DM_777

DM_777 Master Guru

GPU:
    Winfast 9600GT & HD3870
    this is a must have,

it also increased performance for me.

5. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    What's the performance like with those texture packs? With my specs...

It's ridiculous, I can run DirectX 10 in other games... can't override in this one.

6. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Dude, you got a 8800GT, you can't complain for crap if a game has bad performance. Your CPU is also pretty old.

Heck, my rig which in most cases would be 50-75% faster than yours is considered out-dated, too.

I don't think you should be trying to run anything above DX9 in DA2, let alone high res textures.

7. DM_777

DM_777 Master Guru

GPU:
    Winfast 9600GT & HD3870
    i think i disagree with you,

i can run DA2 on this settings :
    - 1680x1050
    - DX11
    - Very High (i didn't use the edit ini settings, i found a flaw in DA2 system).
    - AA = OFF (i don't feel the need of AA, cos it only smoothed the edges, and i rarely look at the edges while playing)
    - 16xAF
    - High Quality Blur = ON (DX11 very high only, it increased performance for me)
    - High Resolution Textures = ON

and with those settings, i can play the game with around 30 FPS, and that's more than enough for me,

and with this texture mod, it increased the performance even more, while increasing the detail on the environment.

Edit :
    - SSAO = OFF (gimmick)
    - DOF = OFF (DX11 very high Only, i can turn it on, but it doesn't increase any graphic detail)

Driver = 267.59

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  8. Wanny

Wanny Guest

SSAO gimmick... I personally wouldn't be able to live without it ^^

9. DM_777

DM_777 Master Guru

GPU:
    Winfast 9600GT & HD3870
    i just tested it again,

SSAO, DOF & High Quality Blur didn't change anything in my game detail,

but High Quality Blur improved the performance quite a bit.

10. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    Anything below the performance of a GTX 460 needs to be recycled.

DM_777, I'm pretty sure you're playing the game fine at 1024x768. Also since when were DX10 cards able to do DX11? :banana:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

11. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Just because its an older card doesn't directly mean its a crap card. Its still faster than quite a few lower-end cards out now and pretty much is as fast as most mid-higher range laptop solutions.
    For the graphics that DA2 put out, a G92 based card should still be able to run it semi-fluently, maybe at FPS somewhat lower than DAO as its the same graphics engine just with a few effects added here and there with some sort of DX11 support slapped on. The DX11 setting (that he said was enabled) is not doing much though as it'll be impossible, so probably a game setting bug.

The latest driver seems to help with performance somewhat (compared to the betas before).

As for the high res textures, I personally don't really like them. Its just a sharpened version of the default ones. Its not really "high-def". Similar with DAO's packs, they don't really make much difference, and often causes "shiny" effect on rocks and pavement, which makes it look worse IMO. True texture mods will take a long time to make and are pretty hard to get right (color matching for example).

It is of course up to each person's own taste, but I would just turn up AF instead of using the sharpened textures (the user created one).

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    1. your card doesn't support DX11
    2. SSAO is not a gimmick, it makes the game look better and I'll prove it on request
    3. you said earlier that you don't see aliasing when you play DA2 with no AA, but your screenshots show tons of aliasing (again, it depends on what standards you have)
    4. it's not about what you agree/disagree with. the fact is that the matey is using a 8800gt and he's not happy with the performance. Well the 8800gt was midrange even when it was released years ago, today it's considered low-end as far as gaming cards go... So I wouldn't exactly be annoyed with games running crap on it.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    open your eyes. take the same screenshot with and without ssao and alternate between them. you'll see a lot better shadowing with ssao enabled.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you must be joking! the official hires textures make the game look so much better! and it's not just the case of sharpening up bog standard textures. if you can't see the difference, then there's something wrong with your eyes!!!

15. gh4stly

gh4stly Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx970 g1 gaming 1599mhz
    SSAO is no gimmick. you'll appriciate it once you upgrade with some new hardware.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

16. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    It (the official one) does make a difference, I was talking about the user-made one (what the OP linked) on nexus that supposedly is "better" than the official one. I have the official one installed, and yes it makes a difference. :]

17. DM_777

DM_777 Master Guru

GPU:
    Winfast 9600GT & HD3870
    i never game at 1024x768, i always game at 1680x1050, and i said i was able to enable dx11 very high, but it seems the tessellation is not there, but other very high detail is there.

i never said that my card support dx11, i'm just saying that bioware is locking the very high setting for no good reason, they could just easily put the Tessellation check box, for the dx11 only feature.

well when i enable it, i don't see any difference, other than lower framerates.

- and again i never said i don't see aliansing,
    - what i said is, for me, i don't see the need for AA to be turned on.
    - my screenshots show ton of AA ? did you see my option screenshot ? my AA slide is all the way down to OFF.

well i didn't know what 8800gt is capable of, but i just didn't want anyone to underestimate something so easily, and i proved again and again that even thought my rig is old, i can still game on 1680x1050, even thought i only get around 23fps, but that is more than enough for me.

18. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Dang, I need to learn how they do that hi res texture mod stuff but I can't tell how they are doing it. Is it just modified texture or bump map also?

19. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    this texture mod freezes the game for me.

20. DM_777

DM_777 Master Guru

GPU:
    Winfast 9600GT & HD3870
    weird, i've been using it for hours, and not a single freeze, maybe you should comment on the dragonagenexus.com, so that the issue can be ironed out.