Low GPU usage Dragon Age II

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BigMyke, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Con1750 wtf do u want? Very High is rubbish. I tried same driver and it gave me 20-30fps. Playable, but not really. I don't feel like explaining, but DX11 looks worse then DX10 codepath (High).

Just set it on High, and crank everything up.

EDIT: Oh u want SS AA? Not possible :nerd:

2. Con1750

Con1750 Guest

I am playing on high yes, i just wanted to ask about Super sampling as the above poster and another in this thread claims to have got it working?

3. smut

smut Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960 SuperSC
    Lol performance is bad enough without SSAA. :)

4. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    2 words.
    Console. Port.

5. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    I believe that the 270.24 was an earlier developer driver than the 270.32 which got leaked.

6. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Has anyone tested the beta patch for the game yet? Does it help performance with nvidia cards?

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dra...ragon-Age-II-PC-beta-patch-101-6482838-1.html

What are the patch notes?
    GENERAL

• Fixed save game issues on single core machines
    • Fixed game asking for non-existent drives
    • Fixed release control issues where some players were unable to unlock correctly
    • Fixed a Steam-specific issue related to VO not playing after switching languages**
    What does BETA mean?
    BETA means:

• Users apply this patch at their own risk. In general, we recommend you only download and apply it if you are affected by the specific issues listed in the patch notes.
    • **Steam does not support BETA patches. Steam users will have to wait for the final non-BETA patch before they can take advantage of these fixes. We're working on it but, unfortunately, this will not occur in time for the weekend.

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The beta patch does NOTHING to improve performance; it doesn't even fix the log in error that I've experienced twice (the game tells me it can't run in guest mode or that I don't have full administrator rights despite the fact I'm using the full (previously hidden) administrator account). I suspect the latter issue is a bug with the SecuROM online validation as a restart of my PC fixes it once I've (again!) typed in my email address and password for the account I'm using to play the game. Annoying but not as much as the abysmal DX11 performance.

I was playing around with the settings this morning and here's my findings for the main ground floor room of the Hawke mansion in Act 2 (all at 1920x1200, v-synced and triple buffered with 4xAA and 16xAF plus the hi-res texture pack installed):

1. With DX11 and Very High settings plus depth of field and motion blur enabled, I get an average of 32-35 fps;
    2. With DX11 and High settings, which disables depth of field and motion blur, I get an average of 60 fps;
    3. With DX11 and Very High settings without depth of field and motion blur, I get an average of 32-35 fps. In other words they have a negligible impact on the framerate.

The only visual difference between High and Very High is the use of tessellation for the latter but in the room I was in there is NO tessellation so why is the framerate halved???

I guess you could tell me to just play the game at DX11 High settings but that's not the point; the card I have should be able to run the game at maximum settings. That's why I bought the card so I didn't have to compromise on games' settings, certainly not for multiformat console ports anyway.

8. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    been messing about the same as you Darren and seeing similar results, seems to me having a single modern card is now as much driver dependant as sli xfire is these days.

9. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Bioware better move there arses..i'm focking tired of waiting for that stupid performance patch..Bioware lost so much rep whit this game.

10. BigMyke

BigMyke Member

GPU:
    EVGA 580 SC SLI
    Sadly for me (and it'll be this way for most people) that I'm almost done completing the first play through of the game w/ this ****ty LOW GPU performance.

I didn't pay 60 dollars to EA/BIOWARE to experience this kind of performance on my 580 SLI. [​IMG]

11. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Well Bioware didnt totally screw up, as the game runs beautifully on AMD hardware. Nvidia have been sloppy as well, and I bet it has to do with that Fermi is a very complicated GPU to code for, or atleast make it use all of its power in an effecient way. So this is a Nvidia/Bioware screw up.

12. Andypandy1991

Andypandy1991 Master Guru

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY
    Here is an answer from someone on the bioware forums:

The file was found under user(me)/Documents/Bioware/DragonAge 2/Settings

Normally if you have the graphical settings set to High in the in-game menu (which I do because of the Very High issues with nvidia cards), DoF and Motion Blur are blocked out. But look for them in the .ini and set them from 0 to 1 and they wil be enabled even if your setting is still at High.

Change these to 1:
    EnableHighQualityBlur=0
    EnableDiffusionDOF=0

DoF works with no performance hit, though I can't tell the difference with motion blur. Either it's subtle or doesn't work with this. You can mess around with the other mysterious graphical options in the ini but I didn't notice a difference.

Also, just a few lines down you'll see DisableIntroMovies=0. Change that to 1 and you won't have to sit through that annoying unskippable intro.

I don't know all the effects that Very High allows, but looks like it might be Tesselation that's causing the biggest problem. And to be quite honest, it doesn't look good. It makes the ground look cushiony, and my characters' feet sink in about an inch into the ground w/ tesselation on. So I wish there was a way to turn on Very High but disable Tesselation.

I hope bioware or nvidia hurry up and fix the DX11 issues, though I'd put priority on fixing all the quest bugs.

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks for that. I think I'll drop down to High then for now until the patch comes out. I was wandering across Sundermount this morning and getting rather depressed at the 20 fps framerate I was seeing with no NPCs onscreen. Presumably the tessellated mountainsides were the cause of that? :(

I never did the edit yet I've always been able to hit Escape during the initial load to skip straight to the title screen. :3eyes:

14. Andypandy1991

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY
    @Darren Hodgson

The difference between high and very high from what i understood is minor!
    So i think u will be just fine!
    When u do the modifications please report your fps,because i was thinking the moment i change to gtx 590 next week i will immediately start Dragon Age 2:)

15. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    it's just tessellation, but some of us, like me, want tessellation, i think it looks stunning.

EDIT: with the .ini modification the performance is the same, 40-50 fps..Advance DOF is visible and looks great, also i enabled Triple Buffering and Trilinear Filtering from the .ini

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

16. Andypandy1991

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY
    So good job?:)
    What do u think?
    Thnx very much for the fps report

17. JamieK

JamieK Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 480GTX
    Well, while i agree that they need to fix this problem as soon as possible, i however have been able to get it relatively playable, but i will rejoice when they fix the performance issues.

I do not know what fps i get, haven't got fraps installed, which i plan to do now.

18. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Very high plays just fine for me, but I can't use blur etc. Not that I want to anyway, I enabled it and I personally think it looked crap.

I can't run AA without slowdowns either, but I can run 4xAF turned on in game fine. I can run with Vsync and get 44-60FPS with these settings.

I can't wait for the driver to fix this crap.

If anybody is curious about the drivers I'm running it's the 267.46. They hold the current optimization for DA2 as the 267.24/31 did.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  19. Russ369

Russ369 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    You guys should just stop playing Dragon Age... what an overrated game that is... point and click? how fun!

NOT

20. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    yeah, the advanced dof is great..i knew this settings didn't effect the fps, cause i tried every combination possible to play the game on very high, it seems that tessellation is the only thing that ruins the framerate, how ironic for nvidia high-end gpu's don't you think?