Worth it to wait all the way until Black Friday??

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by DSparil, Mar 1, 2011.

1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I have been interested in getting a new tv for a while now and have been stuck with a crappy 27" tube tv! Even my mom and dad have HD tv's by now lol....ugh

Anyway, im wondering if you guys think its worth it to wait until Black Friday for a good deal on something. I could get one sooner, and its KILLING me to not have a an hdtv by now, but if you guys think it would really be worth my while to wait, I could stick it out. Are the deals good enough to wait another 9 months for? Hell, ive had this pos for years now, I guess another half a year or so wouldn't kill me...

just wondering some opinions on it. Or perhaps there is another good time of the year to buy?

2. bbvdd2

bbvdd2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 960 WHITE SLI
    IMO There really are no good deals on Black Friday. Its a huge marketing gimmick.
    Store generally advertise a very low price on a very low quality product. You will never see a high end product at a so called "door buster" deal.

Right now would be the optimal time to get a higher end TV or at least a quality unit for the best price. The new model year sets come out in April and they are clearing out old stock. Case in point, I just bought a 55" 6500 Series Samsung LED LCD for $1549, list is $2799. Even Newegg doesn't sell it for less than $2199. Go to Amazon for the absolute best prices on any TV. Plus no sales tax which is nice. I just would never suggest the largest screen size for the cheapest price as its usually a crappy tv and picture. Samsung and Mitsubishi make some of the best TVs. Even their lower end models are pretty good. Same can't be said for Vizio, LG, Philips and the others. Do a side by side compare at a store and get very close to the screen and look for noise in the picture. From a distance some TVs look ok but get up close and there is generous amounts of noise.

Avoid anything 720p, just not worth the resolution reduction. 1080p 120Hz should do it. LED LCD.

I will also say that Plasmas don't last as long. I've had two go bad on me. One was two years old and out of warranty and had lots of slow pixels. My current 42" (5 years old) that I replaced with the 55" is starting to exhibit the starting of the same problem. So the 42" will go to the kids playroom.

3. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Personally, I think LG is much, much better than Samsung and Mitsubishi combined. lol

4. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Make that two of us. I've had both the 55" Samy's and 55" LG. The LG is overall a better television. I can agree on Vizio being second rate though.

Most will also swear by the Panasonic plasma TV's but personally I'm not a fan (despite the deeper blacks).

From reading the first post sounds like a fairly young kid. To answer your question now's the time to buy things are really cheap...but if you're waiting out sounds like you're on a steep budget. It's up to you if you think you can afford it.

5. bbvdd2

bbvdd2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 960 WHITE SLI
  6. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Thank you for the opinions, and I appreciate the help. I may give LG another look as a television brand, because I know a couple of people who have them and have heard nothing but good things. My thoughts until recently were along the lines of them being a mediocre brand. A middle of the road name that manufactures a decent tv, but not one that can hang with Panasonic, Sony, Samsung etc