New sound card choosing

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by mst3kld, Mar 5, 2011.

1. mst3kld

mst3kld Member

GPU:
    (2) MSI 6950 2gb OC
    Too much reading and I cant make a decision so I need some help.
    Win7 64 bit is my OS and here is what I need.
    24bit 192hz, DDL and Dolby Headphone
    7.1 analog (gaming)
    Headphone amp line (AKG 701)
    Line in (XM Radio)
    Optical out (Movies)
    Cards I have been looking at:
    X-merdian g2
    x-forte (will the front O/I port power the headphones?)
    Asus D2 and D2X (But are OOS on Newegg)
    Im looking to spend no more than $200 USD
    Open to any other suggestions
    Thanks

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Out of those cards you listed Forte is the only one with headphone amp.

3. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Your gonna have a problem driving the AKG 701/2 off the Forte headphone amp. The Forte headphone amp output the same voltage ammount as the bravura and it just as strong as the forte's headphone amp.

Now heres the problem, Since the Forte headphone amp is the same power as the bravura, the Forte headphone amp isnt gonna power those AKG 701's. The AKG 702s that I have are the exact same as the 701's just with a detachedable cable.

Remember what I said, I had a bravura,it couldnt power the AKG 702s, It didnt sound the way that it sound on the STX. Also major volume issues will happen.

Since you want 7.1 You either gonna have to get ahold of a Fiio E9 desktop amp and pair it with the Forte if you wanna power your AKG 701's so theyre powered right. Or your gonna have to get a Xonar ST which is PCI and use the daughter board for the rest of your muiti channel speakers.

The Forte is not a bad card it just its headphone amp voltage output at the headphone ohm and the fact the headphones are power hungry which I know from using them. Your gonna have to do one of those two things.

AKG 702 = AKG 701 with detactable cable incase you didnt see me mention that. Your gonna run into the same problems I had when I had my bravura with the forte.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    For headphone amps, would a Xonar DG fare better?

deltatux

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The Xonar DG headphone amp is weaker then the Fortes/bravura's so it def not enough for the AKG 701/2's. Those phones are gonna need the Xonar ST/X or the Fiio E9 to drive them. Or your gonna have the issues I had with my bravura with the Forte.

Now if the op had headphones other then the AKG 701/2s then it be a different story.

6. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    HT Omega Clario...

7. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    If he gets the claro he gonna want the one with the amp and the XT dauther board for his muiti channel speakers.

8. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    True enough

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Must be damn hard headphone to drive then considering that I have troubles with my HD 595's because the volume is almost too high at the lowest possible volume setting available in Windows.

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Yea they are very hard to drive and there known for that, But I didnt get the memo as I didnt read much into them when I was HP shopping. Other then there sound signature.

They love alot of power that a STX, Fiio E9 or a standalone amp with alot of power can give it. I learned the hard way when I bought the headphones while I had a Auz bravura.

Gave me hell, I knew something was wrong when I had to raise the volume to 30% just to have decent volume and stil with the SQ changing when I did. Bad when non of the hp amp settings did it.

But since I moved to this STX months ago I only need to use 5% good and 8% is loud Volume and the SQ stays the same thru out the Volume.Then they sound alot better then what they used to when I had the bravura.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The Xonar Essene ST 7.1 Deluxe should give you everything you need. Here is a review I did awhile back: Xonar ST 7.1 Deluxe

The quoted prices were when the card was first released, you should be able to find what you need within your budget or pretty close to it. This bundle is basically one of the best sounding PC audio sources available today.

12. mst3kld

mst3kld Member

GPU:
    (2) MSI 6950 2gb OC
    Thank you so much. I dont know how I missed the fact that the Essene ST had an expansion card. Now I just have to find someone in the US that has the H6 expansion card.

13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    No problem. Given your needs that is the perfect fit IMO.

14. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    jr.com has it so does amazon.

15. mst3kld

mst3kld Member

GPU:
    (2) MSI 6950 2gb OC

16. mst3kld

mst3kld Member

GPU:
    (2) MSI 6950 2gb OC
    After 4 cancelled orders, I have had no luck getting the h6 expansion card. So I am having to look into other options. You guys think the Asus Xense can handle all my needs? I still only have 5.1 analog speakers (so I dont NEED the 7.1 analog yet). But can the card handle 2 line ins? I need a mic and a aux-in for my XM radio. The cards spec page says "Analog Input Jack:
    6.30mm jack *1 (Shared by Line-In/Mic-In) "
    thanks
    sorry for bumping an old thread
    as for price now it looks like as long as its under $300

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    it comes with a analog I/O connectior that goes into the DVI looking plug on the card which for that adapter and yes it would. Lame that you couldnt get ahold of the H6 board.

newegg has the Xense for 279 the last time I checked.