Building a new system----

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by SeCALPHA1, Mar 4, 2011.

1. SeCALPHA1

SeCALPHA1 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD4870 X2
    Hello

I'm looking into building a new system. I don't know too many things about hardware, just the basics, but I wanted to know what ram would be best for the processor I'm getting.

I consider myself a power gamer, though I'm not interested in Intel at all; and I'm wanting the Phenom 975BE. The ram I have my eye on is 16gb of Corsair Dominator DDR3 1333 (quad channel) or the Corsair Vengence (16gb; quad channel; ddr3 1600).

I want the most out of my hardware. I'll tweak what I need to get every bit of power from my CPU/RAM, but again: I'm nowhere near pro at this. Does anyone have any recommendations? What ram/cpu combo can I get the most power and speed from, stock? OC?

Thanks for any and all suggestions and help.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    ive got the corsair vengeance 16gb ddr3 1600 kit. it was pretty good bang per buck over here.

but note, 4 sticks =/= quad channel. your cpu still only has a dual channel memory controller, so its still only going to be a 128bit memory bus, not 256bit.

as for OC, if youre getting a black edition CPU, doesnt really matter what ram you get as you'll be overclocking using the multipliers primarily, not the FSB.

and with ram, dont really bother with OCing ram or getting high speed ram. with my last amd setup i had g skill ddr3 2000mhz. i tried different speeds from 1333 to 1600 to 2000mhz on them, there was no performance improvement in real world usage, and even in benchmarks, the improvements are only minor.

3. head

head Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    wouldn't it be smart to wait a month and see how the new amd cpu's perform ?

4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Don't see a 975be an upgrade over your current 955be. Would you really pay for a few mhz upgrade?

And why on earth would you ever need 16gb of ram? 8gb is still overkill.

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Why do you need 16 GB of RAM? I can't see why you need that much RAM for the foreseeable future.

By the time 16 GB of RAM is really needed, we'd be all running DDR4 kits. Also, wait until Bulldozer, don't build a rig now, you'll just regret it.

deltatux

6. SeCALPHA1

SeCALPHA1 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD4870 X2
    Well, I might just have to post in a new thread altogether, but I want to build a whole new system. I don't want to spare anything other than the PSU and my HDD cooler.

Speaking about the dual/triple/quad controller, what kind of performance differentials are we looking at between the three? If I were to go with the quad-channel, first of all: what processor supports that? Second, again, what performance boost are we looking at? Benchmarks? A point a reference: I want to stay away from Intel.

My budget is open. I'm not too picky, I have preferences of different companies and such, but I have 3 standards of what I want out of my machine: Speed, Power and space (doesn't everyone, though? lol).

7. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    no CPUs for consumers have a quad channel memory controller at the moment. buying 4 sticks doesnt mean its quad channel. its still dual channel, just two sticks per channel.

and at the moment, intel i7 first gen triple channel > amd dual channel memory.

and now intel second gen i7 (sandy bridge) > intel i7 first gen triple channel.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7-2600k-review/18
    i know it says core i7, but its the latest set of benchmarks and shows all the results of amd cpus as well.

if you want raw speed right now, get an intel sandy bridge setup. nothing from amd comes close at the moment.

however, if youre willing to wait a month, amd's bulldozer comes out and you can see how that performs.

8. SeCALPHA1

SeCALPHA1 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD4870 X2
    It'll definitely be more than a month before I build this thing. I may sound ahead of myself saying I'm going to build one now, when I'm actually going to physically buy everything at a later date, but I like to be ahead of the game.

For now, I just want to get a base setup and work from there. I'll definitely see how the bulldozer does, and wait later for GPU stuff.. but that's a different story. Thanks for the link, too.

Personally speaking, I've always had a bias for amd. I dont know what it specifically is, other than their quality and price (I'm well aware Intel is ahead by far concerning clock speeds), but I think it's an aesthetic thing for me.

I wouldn't be inclined to believe so, but I do have a question regarding Intel/AMD setups: Would Radeon perform marginally less on an Intel based MB and vice versa, or not? Does it matter much? If so, may I see some data? I'll keep looking myself for all of these things, too.

Thanks for the help so far!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Thing is that technology and prices shift quite quickly. Since you said you're going to hold off the rig building by a month or so, wait for Bulldozer and compare it with Sandy Bridge to see what you feel is the better offer.

This is better than rushing it and choose something you may regret down the line.

deltatux