6850 clocks wrong again

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by wlw_wl, Mar 2, 2011.

1. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    Hey,

yet another issue.
    My 6850 will not downclock properly anymore.
    What used to be 100/150 is now 250/1000.

I reinstalled drivers, no change.
    Possible cause of this might be either of those:
    - I tried installing ATT but it wouldn't run, BSOD 0x1E, uninstalled.
    - I bumped the core clock to 800 for a couple of minutes in Afterburner and then back to 775

I had wrong clocks before, a fix was to set stock clocks - 775/1000 in Trixx and hit apply. The card was stuck on 650, a leftover from 4850 I think.
    But now it doesn't work. I tried adjusting the clocks through Afterburner, AOD and Trixx. The setting for 3D clock works, the idle clocks are still messed up.

Any ideas?

2. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1000/1150
    If you're having so many problems I'd do a format and fresh install.
    I never liked switching hardware without propper OS installation.

3. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    Make sure you've no funky "profiles" lurking in the hidden user/app data folder.

4. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Do you have more than one monitor hooked up to your video card? If so, what happens when you unplug all but one?

5. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    How come I haven't thought of that.

Yes, it's the fact of having two displays connected.
    The moment I disconnected secondary display, the clocks went down to 100/150.

But why does it make the memory clock go all the way up to 1000MHz?
    That alone makes the GPU ~20*C warmer.

Thanks for pointing out the rather obvious, sometimes you need that on a bad day :)

6. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    It's natural for clocks to go up with multiple monitors connected to help ensure that you get some snappy performance on your system. I'm not sure if the HD6 series was designed to go up to 1000MHz on the VRAM with dual monitors, and out of experience with the HD5970, an 850MHz increase sounds rather high...but that may just be the way AMD intended it to be. You might be able to change the 2d clocks using MSI Afterburner, by creating and editing a .xml CCC Overdrive profile, or even by editing your card's bios in Radeon Bios Editor ( RBE ).

But simply increasing the VRAM clocks shouldn't increase the GPU temps. They're two different types of components, and the VRAM temps usually aren't monitored. The GPU and VRAM modules have their own individual temperature sensor.

7. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1000/1150
    Do you have hardware acceleration enabled?
    And yes, I doubt that the memory alone would make the card 20C degrees hotter.

8. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    Hardware acceleration of...?
    I disabled all applications that could use hardware acc. including any Flash instances.

The card is normally 30-ish, with those clocks it was 50-ish.
    On single monitor, in games, it would also go to 50+ max 60*C, so that's stress temperature in idle right there.

If not the memories, then a bump of 150MHz on core resulted in such relatively high temperature increase.

Of course, I know that twice the display area demands more work.
    It might just be by design, because accelerated videos, like Flash, make it go 300/1000, this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snceZJoRrrU
    in 1080p full screen makes it sometimes go all the way up to 775/1000.

9. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    I haven't played with the 6800's bios but with the 4800's there were 4 clock settings in the bios, boot clock, 2D, 3D-Low, 3D high.
    When running dual monitors it would not use 2d clocks, I expect thats what your seeing with the 6800.
    Don't go crazy because, 30ish?? 86 degrees Fahrenheit?, we have a problem here!
    I run two 6850's, with my TV on in the background my master is 51, the slave is idle at 37, the cpu is water cooled so I have a cool case.
    I think your temps are pretty normal. If your temps drop alot with the side panel off, your setup may have negitive pressure inside the case. Negitive pressure is void of air.

Good luck

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  10. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    It must be similar, certainly there are 2D (100/150), UVD (300/1000) and 3D (775/1000) clocks. On 2 monitor unfortunately, it's none of those, as it was 250/1000. So there may be more profiles.

About temps, GPU is idling now at 36, CPU is at 36 - crappy box cooler from PII x2 currently on x3 (x4 is boiling).
    Stress temps do not go over 60 degrees on GPU and about 53 on CPU.
    Plus I rarely max the GPU as I play with Vsync on (BFBC2 loads the GPU to about 60-70%, L4D2 to only 40%).
    The crappy cooler on CPU blows hot air all over the mainboard, so everything is hotter thanks to it.

I have 2x120mm push and 120+PSU (120 or 140) pull configuration plus a vent on the side next to GPU to prevent any void (push fans have variable speed, exhaust fan is 100% on all the time).
    Cooling system works when it comes to keeping the temps relatively low, only downside is the system stays warm for quite a long time after the stress has ended.

11. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    Ok, it could be CCC.
    You should have a CCC profile file located at.
    x:\Users\"YOUR_PROFILE"\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\profile.xml

- <Feature name="CoreClockTarget_1">
    <Property name="Want_0" value="10000" />
    <Property name="Want_1" value="60000" />
    <Property name="Want_2" value="80000" />
    </Feature>
    - <Feature name="PowerControl_1">
    <Property name="Want" value="0" />
    </Feature>
    - <Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_1">
    <Property name="Want_0" value="30000" />
    <Property name="Want_1" value="100000" />
    <Property name="Want_2" value="109000" />
    </Feature>
    - <Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_1">
    <Property name="Want_0" value="950" />
    <Property name="Want_1" value="1100" />
    <Property name="Want_2" value="1150" />

This info should match your cards bios(until you turn on overdrive), but can be manually set here, and may have been changed somehow.
    You can use Techpowerup GPU to save a copy of your bios, then open it with Radeon Bios Editor to see your clocks. If you don't see 250/1000, check your profile.xml, edit as needed in RBE using the profile editor option or in word pad.

Or, you could, delete drivers, ACE folder and CCC, then reinstall.
    I'm not sure if you can just delete the profile.xml and restat, don't remember.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011