Modified ATI Catalyst 11.2 Switchable Graphics Driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Youzen, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Youzen

Youzen Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5650 1GB
    Working Catalyst 11.2 Switchable Graphics Driver (64bit only)

USE THIS DRIVER AT YOUR OWN RISK, I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY MAYHEM CAUSED. BEFORE REPORTING AN ISSUE PLEASE READ BUGS SECTION

UPDATE 30/3/2011 Another update, if I had of known it would be this quick, wouldn't have bothered with yesterdays, again this is just a HARDWARE ID update, this time for the acer laptops, so if your driver is already working, don't bother with this one.

UPDATE 29/3/2011 A new version, this one is only to include new HARDWARE IDs for the intel chipsets (as provided by users in the thread) there are no new versions of driver in this release (so if it's working for you, no need to upgrade).

UPDATE 22/3/2011 Success, new drivers uploaded with latest Intel HD drivers NEW INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS, EVEN IF UPGRADING, will now work on including the DEVICE_IDs people have provided in the below thread.

UPDATE 14/3/2011 Apologies for the delay, only have the chance to work on the drivers on my train rides to and from work, I have a beta version of the 11.2 and latest intel igfx drivers and switching software functioning, still have some bugs to sort out (HDMI audio) and driver signing is looking to be impossible as you have to modify the INF to much with the custom registry entries that whatever arbitrary signature boundaries microsoft sets on it's driver cat file are breached (I am still pondering how to solve this one)

ISSUES:
    1)If you have a 5600 or 5700 series card, It will now register as a 5600/5700 series card in device manager, this still should work fine as they both use the Manhattan driver variant , am working on a fix (see technical section)

2) The Intel driver is unsigned, so you will have to hit F8 every time you cold boot your PC and scroll down to Disable driver signature enforcement for the driver to work (See Technical Section for why and updates on the issue)
    There are now two solutions to this issue:
    1) Thanks to Black_ice_Spain for a solution if your willing to modify your boot partition.
    or
    2) Thanks to randomizer:
    This works without having to press F8 on bootup to disable driver signing.
    Go to the Start menu and type cmd.exe in the Search Bar. Right click on cmd.exe and choose Run as Administrator.
    If you have the UAC turned on, choose Yes to proceed. Otherwise, you should see the command windows opened already. In the shell window, copy paste the following and hit Enter.
    bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
    After you reboot you will get a see a new stamp in the bottom right of the screen "Test Mode, Windows 7, Build 7600"
    Now all of the unsigned drivers you have for x64 will work and load fine.

3) I have gotten as many Intel Graphics chipsets into v08 as I have the HARDWARE IDs for, please continue to let me know if I am missing yours.

I got sick of waiting on vendors to fix the abysmal situation of updating their outdated and buggy ATI Drivers for switchable graphics laptops ಠ_ಠ so I modified the current driver in 11.2 catalyst (8.821.0.0) to include the igfx proxy calls (Intel HD Graphics) which is what makes the older manufacturer drivers work properly. This download includes everything in the 11.2 64bit download (including CCC2) as well as the modified 8.821.0.0 driver and HDMI sound driver.
    This was tested on my HP DV6 running Windows 7, a HD5650 and a full video driver wipe (including Intel HD drivers). So far has been stable on Borderlands and Battlefield BC2 with switchable graphics working fine.
    Hope this helps out some of you that have found yourself in the same predicament. Please let me know of any bugs/issues that arise and I will attempt to address them (honestly my technical skill is just above that of a shaved monkey, it was just a text copy, pasta job to get the correct calls into the inf, then quite a few rounds of restore point testing before I got it working. So please bear with me.)

DOWNLOAD:

11-2_mobility_win7_64_Youzen_mod_v08.zip

Previous Version:
    11-2_mobility_win7_64_Youzen_mod_v05.zip

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1) Download and install Driver Sweeper from Guru3D and ccleaner

2) Open Control Panel -> Uninstall a Program and remove the following:

-ATI Catalyst Install Manager

-Intel Management Software

3) Reboot and mash F8 to enter safe mode.

4) Run Driver Sweeper and remove ATI drivers,

5)Open Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Device Manager -> Display adapters, Make sure both graphics cards are showing as "Standard VGA adapter". If they still aren't, right mouse click on it and select "Remove"

6) Reboot, Mash F8 and select "Disable driver signature enforcment"

7) Run ccleaner and select the registry tab and clear the registry, repeat again as the first clean leaves orphaned activex objects.

8) Unzip and Install driver by running setup.exe in folder, reboot making sure you hit F8 on startup and select "Disable driver signature enforcment".

TECHNICAL
    It would appear that the 5600/5700 cards are identified by their SUBSYSTEM ID rather than DEVICE ID, so it may be just a case of gathering the various subsystem ID's from known working drivers (as AMD/ATI provide zero documentation) and adding them to the driver, have not had a chance to implement this as it will break the driver for cards who's SUBSYSTEM ID I do not have.

The Driver Signature enforcement fix is currently impossible as the modified intel driver needs to reference ATI DLLs which break the driver signature, I currently don't see any way around this as I need a Microsoft signature to co-sign the new drivers which costs quite a bit of money (I see now why manufacturers don't bother to update their drivers).

BUGS
    When reporting an issue, please include in your report the Hardware ID of both your ATI card and Intel HD Graphics card. (By going to Device Manager, selecting the card and right mouse click Properties, go to the detail tab, select Hardware ID from the drop down box copy those numbers). Also a massive help for me would be a direct link to your last known working manufacturer drivers.

Make sure you are using just this driver and no other mod's on top as I currently do not have time to support them.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Omg please get this working!!lol

So if i install this, is it possible i can install the latest Intel drivers aswell?

btw i own a hp 3131tx. So its very similiar to yours.

3. alexxandru

alexxandru Member

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 5470 1Gb DDR3
    Hello!

I own the MSI CX620 notebook with genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and switchable graphics. Microsoft has released Windows 7 Service pack 1 but I cannot install it because the drivers provided by MSI via support website for the switchable graphics (namely Ati 8.733.2.0000) use an old Intel GPU driver (8.15.10.2104).
    The hybrid graphics drivers need to be updated to include the newer/latest Intel GPU Drivers. Also, newest MSI sg drivers are based on the older 10.8 catalyst drivers and they refused to update them untill there are problems with them.

I hope you get these drivers working because many of us are (uselessly) waiting for vendors to update drivers.

Keep up the good work and, hopefully, you will have resolved a old and pressing issue with switchable graphics notebooks.

4. Youzen

Youzen Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5650 1GB
    Ok, I'm pretty sure i have the issue sorted. Will update thread tomorrow when I'm not typing from a phone.

5. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    That's interesting work there. I have an HP Tm2 with a 5450/Intel HD GPU. I usually have to install new drivers over the old ones.

Please do continue, you'll have lots of downloads in no time.

6. r0sWell

r0sWell Member

GPU:
    MSI Hawk 5770 @ 1015/1380
    OMG that is so needed ! :):):):):):):):)
    it's a shame that manufacturers don't update their drivers...

I own a MSI GE600 with Intel HD (core i3) and a Radeon 5730.

thx a lot for your work [!]

i will be able to test these on Saturday...

there is a way to install updated mobility drivers on switchable graphics systems, but at the cost of loosing functionalities :wanker:

7. Youzen

Youzen Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5650 1GB
    I am going to start working on getting the latest intel drivers included within the next week, unfortunately have had to go with the older ones for now (I would rather an updated ATI driver than a Intel one :) )

8. man1811

man1811 Guest

GPU:
    Ati Mobility HD 5650
    Thanks for your driver!

A tip for the driver reinforcement : search "Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider" on google (the file's name is dseo13b.exe).
    It activates Test Mode and can remove the mark. :D
    I used this software in order to run unsigned ps3 controller driver.

I'm currently downloading your driver, and i hope it'll not contain the "double display" issue (I've got it with the official driver...)

EDIT : It works fine for me! :D Thank you

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  9. mikapharm

mikapharm Guest

GPU:
    mobility amd 5650
    man this is awesome but i will wait untill you solve The Driver Signature enforcement because its my father laptop who doesnt want to press f8 every time he starts windows
    if i want to try it will it work on win7 sp1 64bit. and can i revert back to my current drivers or no
    thanks

10. Youzen

Youzen Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5650 1GB
    Yeah the F8 thing sucks, currently working on a fix that will have signed and updated Intel drivers, shouldn't take to long to get working i hope. I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work with SP1 as you are deleting all installed drivers in the process. Make a restore point before you do just to be sure and let me know how it goes :)

11. tyRant.594

tyRant.594 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x
    I have a question, so I have a HP Dv6 with a amd quadcore and 5650.. last time hp posted a video driver was 8-13-10. Can I use something more recent? it has switchable gfx.

12. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Right now i can install any new amd driver. running 11.2. But the switchable driver is aging and so is intel drivers. Also its fun testing two different gpus:)

13. alexxandru

alexxandru Member

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 5470 1Gb DDR3
    Youzen: does the current moddified driver fully preserve the switchable graphics function? Does you HP have dedicated buttons to switch between GPU's and if so do they work with you custom drivers?

14. Youzen

Youzen Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5650 1GB
    Yes, the driver fully preserves functionality. Including software switching from catalyst contol center 2 and igfx, intels graphics management software ( both of which are included in the installer). It also operates from power settings ( AC plug/unplug). The HP does not have a physical switch so i cannot test this portion.

15. Youzen

Youzen Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5650 1GB
    Unfortunately this is a question for someone who has such a system, as a fair amount research into driver config with device ID is required, along with testing on the platform.

16. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Looks like a good job there, im not "affected" (aka i dont have the hardware) by that problem.

But there is a software for windows bootup which runs like a macro and selects disable-driver-enforcement automatically (boot its 3-4 seconds slower because of the macro running instead of directly booting), but better than manually. At least temporary...

But i dont remember name :bang:, ok here
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=306676

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  17. r0sWell

r0sWell Member

GPU:
    MSI Hawk 5770 @ 1015/1380
    hello,

my quick report :)

it's not working on my laptop (not the "switchable" way)

My laptop is a MSI GE600 with :
    - Core i3
    - Radeon 5730
    - 320 Gb 7200t
    - 4 Gb RAM

1. I uninstalled the ATI drivers + Intel Management
    2. I run CCleaner
    3. used TwL 4.85 cleaner
    4. checked that in the properties both GFX cars are "Standard Display"
    5. reboot
    6. installed your modified drivers :)
    7. no reboot, applying last 11.2 CAP3 from Von Dach CAP switcher
    8. reboot

=> the ATI drivers are updated and working, but not the Intel HD part, and so, "functionalities" such as switch GFX cards button are not working.

The Intel HD is still recognized as a "Standard Display" in the Ctrl panel :wanker::wanker::wanker:.

Would it be possible that a difference exists between MSI and HP (and others like Asus, etc...) ?

Do you have a Core i3 ? or i5/i7 ? and do it change anything for the Intel HD driver ?

thx for your reply :):)

18. alexxandru

alexxandru Member

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 5470 1Gb DDR3
    Progress

Youzen, any progress on updating Intel drivers and getting the whole thing digitally signed?
    I've just finished a two week long conversation with MSI support and the results were, at best, very poor. It's as if I'm talking to Asian robots - they respond and give you the appearance that they're comitted to helping you, but in the end you find out that they did not understand the issues pointed our from head start.
    Our only hope for us is to mobilize and seek help from individuals that have knowledge in tweaking driver packages.

We are waiting for your input, Youzen, if you come out with anything new.

19. tarchas

tarchas Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD 5650 1GB
    I have no clue haha..

Alright, I have no clue how I did it, but I have 11.2 drivers working with switchable graphics.

Story time lol:

So I have a HP dv6-3143us, and like last week, I installed the Catalyst 11.2 control center and I assumed I had the 11.2 drivers, but I realized I had this 8-13-2010 drivers (8.741 or something like that). So then I read this thread and another thread, and went ahead and installed the HD 5650 11.2 drivers from OpenDrivers site cause people said it installed.
    Well, lets just say all hell broke loose lol.

So then I followed your instructions to remove it, used drive sweeper and ccleaner and booted into safe mode - driver enforcement thing. But then the moment I logged in, it started installing the VGA adapters from online, so I let it go. Then I just decided, why not just try installing the driver from OpenDriver again, and see what happens.

I reboot, and I have the new drivers 11.2, and the Intel HD graphics driver is the original one that came with the laptop.. Switchable graphics work perfectly too.

Uhh, if anyone wants proof or anything, just ask haha. The only difference now is that Catalyst recognizes my card as 5600/5700 series, before it used to say HD 5650, but in device manager I still get it saying 5650.

20. TheOriginalTO

TheOriginalTO Master Guru

GPU:
    5500 XT / 8gb
    I don't get it... Who should use these?