Sandy Bridge

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Katastrophe, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Katastrophe

Katastrophe Active Member

GPU:
    asus HD7870 DCII
    hi, i would like to know how sandy bridge is.
    In benchmark it should be much better but i also would like to know the issue of intel, i found this
    if is just this the problem, the sandy bridge owners just need to w8 new motherboards?
    intel say something about when they become available?

i know there must be full of posts but a 2 line reply would be very appreciated

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Performance wise, the top of the range SB currently available gets rather close to the £800 i7-980X which is quite scary really.
    I'd be tempted to wait until the SATA issues have been fixed before buying into it, either that or see what AMD bring to the table with Bulldozer. Intel also have the higher range LGA 2011 stuff coming out Q4 this year, so it might be better hanging on to see how that is too. Your current system is probably good enough for a while yet, wait and see what the next 6 months bring before deciding on an upgrade. You wouldn't want to get an SB system and have it break because of the problems they're having atm.

3. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Not everyone can or should be an early adopter. My most recent systems where bought on the first day the hardware went on sale so they are all very early revisions. Never really had a problem until now. While I'll end up exchanging the ASUS P8P67 Pro rev 1.01 (already registered with ASUS for this) I'm not yet regretting being an early adopter.

I'll probably go for the option of having ASUS send me the replacement board first so that there will be no down time although I don't really need it I just don't want any hassle.

Anyway, intel will supposedly start shipping corrected B3 stepping chips as early as tomorrow but it will take some time to drop these into boards and get to end customers.

4. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    uhh, the problem isnt really much of a problem, and its not gonna braek your system.

the problem just causes the sata2 ports to degrade, which means they have a reduction in bandwidth over time.

if youre using an SSD, this may be a problem, but most people with SSDs will use sata3 ports (unaffected) anyway.

if youre using a conventional HDD, it wont be a problem as conventional HDDs are nowhere near maxing out the available bandwidth of a sata3 port. even if the ports lose 40% bandwidth, a conventional HDD would still not max it out.

if youre worried, just grab a mobo with more sata3 ports. my asrock extreme6 has 6x sata3 ports plus 2x esata3 ports. i wont really have to deal with the issue for a very long time. by the time i'd need to extra ports, i'd probably have a new computer anyhow.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011

5. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
  6. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    You're a tad wrong here.

from what ive read about the issue, it wont matter if it's an ssd or a hdd. it's not the overall bandwidth of the port itself that goes down. it's the quality of the transmission that will slowly fall.

e.g. you will start to slowly loose more and more data, more likely a percentage of the data sent. it might fail quicker if you are using a faster drive, but in the end it would be the same amount of I/O operations performed, so not even that is for sure.

7. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/feature/2024145/intel-cougar-recall-helps-partner-relationship

it seems every journalist has their own spin on it.

ive got my bluray writer on the sata2 port. i dont see much reason to change.

8. Katastrophe

GPU:
    asus HD7870 DCII
    well, i have to buy a new computer (not for me), and i was looking exactly at asus p8p67, will asus send free a replacement for the 'bugged' board when is available?
    or if i take a "HD 3,5" 1TB SATAIII WD 10EALX 7200rpm" for example i wont have this problem in the meanwhile right?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  9. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    A lot of dealers have pulled their P67 stock so it might be hard to find a Sandy Bridge motherboard now. Last time I looked on Amazon they still had some P67 / H67 board but the prices are going up as stock dwindles.

The ASUS exchange methods are outlined here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4154/asus-msi-announce-6series-motherboard-replacement-programs

If you don’t already have a board its probably better to wait for B3 stepping boards to ship. If someone absolutely has to have a P67 board now then they can deal with the exchange later or just live with the B2 board.

The only reason I held on to my ASUS P67 Pro board instead of returning it is that I received special pricing for it at ~$159.99 instead of the typical MSRP of about ~$189.99. I bought my board at Microcenter though and they have a link on their home page. Once there it says the following:

http://www.microcenter.com/storefronts/intel/sandybridge_info.html

I don’t think you’ll see problems even if you use the Intel SATA 3G ports but I don’t know if anyone could tell you this for certain. I see some slight glitches in HDTune test on my 3x SSD RAID 0 array but its still fast.

10. Katastrophe

GPU:
    asus HD7870 DCII
    i saw on the europe site and selected italy but i couldnt find anything about exchange the motherboard. it can be only in USA/Canada?

also i saw that the second PCI 2.0 work at x4 in crossfire.
    i read around 5870 has 5% bottleneck, what about 2 hd 6950(70)?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

11. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    this depends on the board itself.

cheap/budget boards will run 16x/4x.

pricier boards will run 8x/8x (my board does it, most of the asus boards do, etc.)

then there are a few enthusiast boards that do 16x/16x (asus maximus and ws revolution, msi big bang marshall, sapphire p67 pure black, gigabyte ud7), 16x/8x/8x (asus maximus and ws revolution, msi big bang marshall, sapphire p67 pure black, gigabyte ud7), 8x/8x/8x/8x (msi big bang marshall, and one of the other boards).

12. Katastrophe

GPU:
    asus HD7870 DCII
    these is no other choise to try u mean?

btw thz for the img : P

13. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    np.

and not sure what you mean by no other choice? there are a few boards out there that do 8x/8x. you just need to go into the specs to verify. most of them are reasonably priced.

pcie2.0 8x/8x wont really hold back 6950ss much. you may lose like 1-2% performance per card, but when you factor in youre still getting a 60-90% boost from crossfire, its still a notable improvement in framerates.

14. Katastrophe

GPU:
    asus HD7870 DCII
    i dont think i can w8 new motherboards to be released (around a mouth at least?)
    i could give the asus p8p67 back for full refund, but i cant find a 8x/8x card, not at a reasonable price.

and i dont find the schedule for change the card with a fixed one into europe asus site

15. qiplayer

qiplayer Guest

GPU:
    2x xfx 6870 1gb
    I have a i2600k with asus p8p67 delux mobo.
    Works perfectly. I was lucky to get the mb just before they stopped selling it in the shop. I know if I want, and I may will, can replace it after april.
    The defect is for the sata 2 . I have 2x 1.5 tb hdd, 1 caviar black hdd of 2 tb and 2 other 2tb harddisk.

Until now I did not have problems.

Hope it helps

cheers