Creative Labs Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Oct 25, 2004.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Try and remove the card boot the system, then shut it down and reinstall the card. This might remap the IRQ's for you.

2. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm posting this because someone might find this information useful.

Here is what I did:

Uninstalled OpenAL driver, restarted computer.

Uninstalled sound card driver, restarted computer.

At this point, I checked my IRQ assignments. My soundcard was now on IRQ 11 by itself, labeled (?) Multimedia Audio Controller. Meanwhile, the NIC was still on IRQ 17.

I restarted my computer into safe mode and checked my IRQ assignments again. My soundcard was still on IRQ 11 but my NIC moved over to IRQ 11 also.

I ran driver sweeper and CC cleaner, then restarted back into normal mode.

Soundcard was still on IRQ 11 but my NIC moved back to IRQ 17. That's odd, why is my NIC moving around in safe mode?

Anyways, I shutdown my computer, removed the soundcard and started my computer.

NIC was still on IRQ 17.

Restarted my computer, entered BIOS and enabled my Realtek HD Audio Device. Booted into Windows.

Checked my IRQs and saw my NIC was still on 17 but my Realtek HD audio Device is on IRQ 16, sharing with my video card and a few other devices.

Installed the Realtek audio drivers and restarted.

Here is my IRQ assignments:

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
    IRQ 3 Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family SMBus Controller - 27DA OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 16 Intel(R) G33/G31/P35/P31 Express Chipset PCI Express Root Port - 29C1 OK
    IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce 260 GTX OK
    IRQ 16 Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio OK
    IRQ 16 Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Root Port - 27D0 OK
    IRQ 16 Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB OK

IRQ 17 Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Root Port - 27D2 OK
    IRQ 17 Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller OK
    IRQ 18 Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA OK
    IRQ 19 Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9 OK
    IRQ 23 Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8 OK
    IRQ 23 Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC OK

As you can see, my onboard audio is sharing with 4 other devices on IRQ 16, including my video card.

So no matter what, it is impossible for me to get a audio device on its own IRQ on this computer.

So anyways, the moment of truth. I booted up one of the games I'm having issues with and tested things out for half an hour.

I'm getting the exact same audio cut-outs and missing sound effects as I did with my add-in card.

So it could be a incompatibility between my game and my computer. This doesn't happen with all my games, just half of them. Or it could be another conflict between my onboard audio and chipset + video card sharing an IRQ together.

I'm going to uninstall my onboard audio and reinstall my sound card now. Regardless if my soundcard is sharing an IRQ or not, I will be sticking with my soundcard. The difference in sound quality between on-board audio and add-in cards is very noticeable, and my soundcard only cost $20. I'm sure everyone knows this though.

3. TAViX

TAViX Member

GPU:
    MSI ATI HD 4870 X2
    Can I ask here , why Creative Console Launcher doesn't save the individual volume level vor all speakers when set the master volume to 0??? After turning the volume up, the levels are equal again.....Damn annoying!!

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Seems like an issue with your drivers. Uninstall, clean out the left over driver bits with a driver sweeper app and reinstall. Worth a try.

5. RandomJ

RandomJ Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
    The following is a possible fix/solution for Creative popping/crackling/distortion. Before doing this solution my speakers would crackle and pop like fire crackers were going off in my room. Doing this fix just about all but fixed it. I still do encounter cracks/pops but it's now a rare event and greatly reduced in duration when and if it does happen.

Possible Creative Popping/Crackling/Distortion Solution:

1- Control Panel > Sound
    2- Playback Tab > Speakers (Default Device) > Properties
    3- Levels Tab > "0" out & mute all levels below Play Control.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    That is interference from the inputs and a totally different issue.
    This happens when you leave your inputs "floating"....you have the amps active and no load connected so you get static or the circuit picks up noise from devices close by.