AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    Ok, gotcha. I just thought I messed something up during the install. Thanks and keep up the great work.

2. Sevenz

Sevenz Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870 512MB
    >Sorry, double posted<

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo New Member

GPU:
    ATI 5850 1GB
    Doesn't work for me...

When i run genetix_install.cmd it says "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is in
    correct. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.e
    xe tool for more detail."

After that, it "installs" normally but when i reboot the computer its like i dont any drivers at all.

I have a single 5850 on Windows 7 64 bits

4. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    got no reason for this. Probably administrative rights as package was tested against the HD5850 it can't just stop working for 1 person without a unique user error.

5. TheWhateverDude

TheWhateverDude Member

GPU:
    HD5870 1GB@Stock1080p60Hz
    has anyone been able to install win7 sp1 x64 after running twl's cleaner? im getting error, missing system components and google comes up with people missing amd files

6. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    You will get 2 errors as microsoft registers the legacy NVIDIA and ATI drivers as part of system. SP installs checks these files and when they are not there the
    system reports an error. Basic 0-byte file replacements even would do. Basic system repair would do or simply add the files in system would do. Sadly I
    tested the 'readiness tool' doesn't query these files and 'SFC /scannow' doesn't do it's job even if DVD is in the drive.

It's nothing really new that Microsoft Service Pack installations fail for these issues. Mostly although to service modifications than missing files.

7. TheWhateverDude

TheWhateverDude Member

GPU:
    thanks for the reply, could you tell me/link how to do the 0-byte replacement pls?

8. KommunistDK

KommunistDK Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD 5850
    Isn't there a way to stop ATI from spamming the event viewer with the 'amdkmdag' ****? God damn, that they havent fixed such a stupid thing just blows my mind.

9. V1tol

V1tol Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Atierecord]
    "eRecordEnable"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Atierecord]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atierecord]
    save this to .reg file and run it

10. TheWhateverDude

TheWhateverDude Member

GPU:
    nevermind that, i installed sp1 fine when i copied from the windows dvd what was missing in sfc /scannow log and then installing the readiness tool

11. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    yeah, that's one good way to do it. Sorry, didn't reply was studying CPU affect on current gaming world for couple days before I get my new equipment. I actually have to admit I tested the 0-byte files seems the integrity check on SP1 wouldn't of gone through, but simply adding those 6 files from DVD or from mounted install.wim does the job.

@commonly

I am here as above said doing a bit study from 'good', 'worst' scenario CPU utilization of modern games. Funny thing here now is I am running this equipment:

Pentium 4 630 (1 Core, 2 threads) total power = ~5,5GFlops (Compared to even Penryn Q9450 at clock for clock 3,6Ghz Penryn would do ~50-55GFlops so quite an difference)
    Intel i945P chipset
    1GB of DDR2 (G.Skill 3-3-3-8 1:1 - 480Mhz and tested at 800Mhz 4-4-3-5, but no difference works better on 1:1)
    ASUS HD5850 1GB card not overclocked
    850W PSU

Now with this equipment everyone understands that nothing should work, but the curious thing is I haven't found a single game which wouldn't work
    over 30FPS (In games like MOH I honestly couldn't even tell the difference between this setup and Core I7 950 + LGA1366 except level load time of
    course). Only load times are high and texture load through north bridge are pain in the rear, but the curious thing is nothign has an issue. So, far I've played through games:

-Crysis (Solid FPS, but code is really bad)
    -Medal of Honor (2010 - Absolutely cool no drops of any kind)
    -Ghostbusters (Minor drops but the problem here is the texture load at live load if back buffered there's no issues)
    -HAWX 2 (pretty extreme issues with sounds, but the game works fine)
    -BF:BC2 (Still testing, but looks like working just fine - bigger explosions does cause lag for 1 single load scenario it seems)

(All games were run at highest possible settings even forcing the true highest possible settings through CCC)

Those are some of the biggest engines in the world currently and none of them has issues with 90nm P4 at 3,6Ghz HT enabled. So, anyone saying these are 'CPU dependent' is quite wrong to be honest.

I'd say that is pretty impressive considering how much we think we need the CPU where in matter of fact this old 8 Euros P4 can pretty nearly do the job
    (if the board would be LGA775 level board with dual channel memory heck I bet there wouldn't be any lags).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  12. CorNeLL

CorNeLL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    I have to disagree a little bit here, I played MOH 2010 with my old rig which had an AMD 6000+ X2 and a Radeon 5770, with that config i was getting at best 35 - 40 FPS in parts of the game that didn't involved huge amounts of action and 20 FPS in intense shootings, as soon as i upgraded to a phenom II X4 940 i was gettings 60+ so this is a clear example of a CPU dependant game/engine.

13. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    That has to be different scenario as I have no frame drops not even on explosions smoke what ever. This thing works flawless on earlier mentioned
    equipment and way higher than 35-40FPS. This game pretty near is the best of 4 using absolute no CPU almost.

As I said I couldn't tell the difference in this game between Q9450 to P4. So, most be closer to 60+, but I'm gonna check it out and take a screenshot I ain't
    kidding here. I think this is just sad how expensive CPUs go waisted, although, the P4 is one hell of an undershoot and better Northbridge
    throughput would be damn welcome, atm, but still it works as perfect CPU for prove of concept I was making here that we wouldn't need more than
    10-20$ CPU to actually get everything working absolute smoothly from new CPU families like Penryn.

-edit-

Actually I have to draw my words @CorNeLL is correct on a sense of 35-40 FPS I cannot get 60FPS to screen only those 35-40FPS and worst scenario drops around 25FPS.

but considering I did a bit more testing even 20 FPS is fully 100% playable in speed and getting that twice here on this crappy P4. I'd say it's pretty damn
    well or good/smooth enough considering this costs 8 Euros, new costs 200-999 Euros.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  14. Anthrax27

Anthrax27 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Hi TwL

What are your views on the new 11.1 and 11.2 drivers ?
    which one is better overall for HD5x cards ?
    I am currently on v5.10 and experiencing lot of stuttering/frame drops and also 30 FPS Caps while playing bulletstorm.
    I am gona try the Crysis 2 demo tomorrow when its out.
    what do u recommend?

Thanks

15. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    I'd recommend the 11.2 the newest on Crysis 2 for starters. What I hear this game doesn't need anything special like the original crysis did.

My current drivers are old and out of date v5.10 is just in the line of fire in a sense that 11.1 corrected huge jump above and as said I haven't looked to
    new build since I lost my computer. I think v5.10 would need a lot from new drivers as it was build against information we had back then on gaming not
    on new we get now.

@commonly

There is an new Flash bug at process on CCC 11.2. This affects a weird installation styles only, if you install internet browser and then when Opera or FireFox update plug-in installs an Flash it will not work through AMD Catalyst hardware acceleration correctly.
    SOLUTION:

1. Get flash from Adobe site and AVIVO from AMD site
    2. Install AVIVO
    3. make sure browsers are closed and install Adobe Flash

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

16. Anthrax27

Anthrax27 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Thanks a lot mate :)
    on 11.2 now
    hope all is well with you and things are back to normal :)
    take care

17. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Offtopic:
    Well, considering I lost my news account, 2 over 1000$ computers, my net servers and my home plus I still have to pay for another 500 I'd say looks
    pretty grim, but life goes on. Can't say this wouldn't require a bit partying and losing the mind a bit elsewhere currently to clear the air.

"Dead is just a doorway, time is but a window, I'll be back."

Seems the new AMD CCC 11.4 beta is pretty cool package. Although I still cannot understand the idea why there's so huge lags on the driver side, but
    begining to realize that most of the lag is processing through yet again. I was too blind to see the bad driver spec at 11.1 as wasn't modding the
    driver back then, but I think there's exactly same problems still on current drivers and I think Von Modded should return. If there's even an chance
    that an undetected GPU processing is possibility I think that is really good direction we should all look at not the new AMD ways.

I hope this Von Dach haven't vanished anywhere as AMD Driver modifications could really use these mods and further more some checksum hack could be great idea.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  18. MrSean490

MrSean490 Guest

GPU:
    ref. Sapphire 6950 2GB
    So I'm a little bit confused. Does Von Modded drivers do different things than your drivers do?

I'm not exactly sure who's modded drivers to use?

19. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    The only game that i know that it is cpu dependant is GTA IV. The ones that you mentioned i have never read that they're cpu dependant.

Whoa, didint know that. Anyway, hope that you get back on your feet as soon as possible :)

Besides, the interwebz cant lose someone so knowledgeable just because real life! its madness! :p

20. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Whole point of Von Modded originally began from the idea of 0-byte application detection data or exact zeros replaced application detection data. I modded
    drivers to keep feature solid working, fixed some average gaming speed most of the time and simply fixing titles to work better with out modifying official files ever.

So, there's clear difference behind ideas while I forced myself to trust ATI, Von modded did try something new driver to render/function/see any target as same.

@The Chubu

Yeah, GTA IV, well actually I tested that too. Doesn't seem to much CPU related as long graphics levels are increased through configs and game.

I was actually just testing theory as I was forced to use almost lowest end machine for a while 'how much do we really depend on thousand of dollar
    hardware'. I mean why do we even buy high-end CPU, motherboard, if not benchmarking.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011