PCI-E x16 @ x2 bug

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by zefhit, Feb 20, 2011.

1. zefhit

zefhit New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5570 1gb DDR3
    For some time I realized that I lost performance in some games, no matter which driver I use, so I open cpu-z and I saw that my PCI-E is only running at 2x instead of 16x.

[​IMG]

The most critical is Metro 2033 that became unplayable. DiRT 2 I lost performance considerably, in other games I have not noticed any difference.

If anyone can help me I would be grateful.

Sorry my bad English.

EDIT:

Oh I solved the problem! I just unplugged everything from the mainboard, then reconnected again, now back to normal!:3eyes: thanks to everyone who tried to help me! :cheers:

EDIT 2:

:bang: the problem is back, I think there is nothing I can do now :( Its time to upgrade. Thanks anyway.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  2. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Your English is great.

Did this just happen spontaneosly? Are you sure you didn't make any changes in BIOS? Have you tried updating your BIOS?

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Either the graphics card is faulty...or the motherboard is.....the PCIe bus is not...nor is there a "bug" as your thread title claims.

4. zefhit

zefhit New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5570 1gb DDR3
    yes! one day when I went to play Metro in 2033, after 1 minute my fps dropped to 5, I thought was a bug in the game, but DiRT 2 was also affected.

I made no change in the Bios, just happening spontaneously.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Try re-seating the card in the slot.

6. zefhit

zefhit New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5570 1gb DDR3
    i have tried resetting the card in the slot, also cleaning it, but with no success.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Do you have another card you can test with?

8. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    I recall having the same problem a while back, I'm not sure what fixed it, but it was either one of two things I tried;

Removed the gcard, cleaned the PCI-e slot, fitted the gcard back in the slot securely.

Mobo BIOS update

EDIT: Just a quick Google, someone with the same problem here - http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/466978-pci-e-x16-x2-solved.html

Solution;

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  9. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Also an important piece of information: What mainboard do you have? And which bios? Some cheaper boards are advertised (ASRock did it in the past) as PCI-e 2.0 x16, but are actual x4 for instance.

10. zefhit

zefhit New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5570 1gb DDR3
    my mainboard is Asus P5VD2-X with most recent bios, I tried metod that Phragmeister posted, but dont work. This problem occurred at about 2 weeks.

11. zefhit

zefhit New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5570 1gb DDR3
    No :(

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That's a rather old board....PT890 chipset was discontinued several years ago and doesn't even officially support the Intel Core 2 series of processors. The chipset was originally created for the Prescott based Pentium4 and Pentium-D processors. It's possible you're finally seeing the board starting to crap out....

@Keitosha....the Asus P5VD2-X used a VIA PT890 chipset, which didn't support PCIe 2.0....only PCIe 1.x.. VIA didn't create any Intel compatible chipsets with PCIe 2.x support. PT890 was VIA's last Intel compatible chipset for the mainstream market.

13. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    If you could just borrow a card from a friend you could rule out the possibility of it being your card that is faulty. That way you'll know for certain that replacing the motherboard won't be for nothing, if you decide to do so.

Also do you only have one x16 slot? Can you try it in a different slot?

14. zefhit

zefhit New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5570 1gb DDR3
    I have only one x16 slot :(. I'll do some tests...

15. zefhit

zefhit New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5570 1gb DDR3
    Oh I solved the problem! I just unplugged everything from the mainboard, then reconnected again, now back to normal! thanks to everyone who tried to help me!

[​IMG]

16. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    hover your mouse over the pciex monitor, and CAREFULLY read the text. "Power saving features may affect the results being displayed."

Is your GPU doing anything useful when you're checking, or is it just idling. If it's idle, then congratulations: You've just invalidated your results.

//Svein

17. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    True. Still epic to see one of the last Intel boards with a VIA chipset floating around. And we don't even have a VIA subforum. ;)

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I ditched all my VIA based boards as soon as they stopped producing Intel and AMD compatible chipsets

19. zefhit

zefhit New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5570 1gb DDR3
    :bang: the problem is back, I think there is nothing I can do now :( Its time to upgrade. Thanks anyway.

20. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A