A Gun Thread - Short Thread

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by "Born"_*Leader*, Nov 19, 2009.

?

How many people here own guns?

1. Yes

5.2%
  2. Yes x1

5.9%
  3. Yes xMore than 1

27.5%
  4. None

61.3%
  1. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I hate Hollywood, they're the ones who pushed forward the term "silencers". The correct term is "suppressor", i.e.- it suppresses the flash and noise, you don't silence the flash.

The reason a lot of people like suppressors is for the exact reason you gave, the ability to shoot without hearing protection. Indoors it is most definitely an ear-saver.

2. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    You know after I got into guns, I started to hate hollywood so much. I realized that very few movies portray the functions of a firearm correctly. I felt so cheated. In movies silencers go "pew pew", but what about the slide? What the hell happens to the sound of the slide or hammer going back and forth. There is metal hitting metal there!

I hated hollywood since I was a teen probably. I probably only go to the movies a few 5 times a year because all of the crap that has come out but that this talk is for another thread.

3. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    So are you saying this shouldn't be done?

Silencer was the original Maxim tradename I believe. It might be a misnomer, but the two words are interchangeable now.

I saw a demo at a local range about 15 years ago and have thought they were a good idea ever since then. I have even seen people using them at other ranges despite the fact that they were illegal for use.

4. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    One of the reasons that suppressors aren't issued standard in the military is the amount of additional fouling they cause. Additional fouling = greater chance of failure. Not to mention heat warping, etc.

That's why for the foreseeable future, you will not find suppressors on standard infantry rifles. For special forces however, if it is a 'short' mission where the amount of additional fouling won't come into play, then yes they will take it.

The reason they are not so popular with snipers either (you would think they are the logical choice) is because each time you mount/dismount the suppressor, your zero changes. So the only way to practically use a suppressor is to mount it, shoot off your few rounds to zero the rifle and then return it dirty to storage.

Though for special ops groups who may have time to do a proper zeroing before each mission, then yes you can use a suppressor without loss.

5. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Last year in Afghan i didn't really have any issues using a suppressor with the .338
    Only noticeable (only just) affect was in elevation, which was constant so we could record it and compensate with our sight adjustments whenever it was used so no biggy.
    Negligible anyway as there was no need to fire through the eye of a needle, chest and/or hip shots at medium/long ranges were enough to stop the threat.

Talking about all these weapons. I'm on the range next week for a heavy weapons shoot, they're always good. You gun freaks would love it i imagine, 12 GPMG SF, 6 HMG, 3 GMG (flash rounds :() as a gun-line all with 1 to 1 tracer, at night....it's an awesome experience :) And seemingly limitless ammo lol

6. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Then you will love my clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXkyrLXbvpU

About the suppressor. Granted the .338 is a great caliber, and I appreciate your experience with the suppressor. May I ask which rifle you were using and what grain?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  7. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M

L115A3 was used. More commonly we were using an L96, very effective and not to cumbersome.

Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 PM II LP scope.
    250gr

8. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
  9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Oh man, I would kill (literally :) ) for a setup like that.

Your scope sounds like my wet dream, what kind of reticule did it use; standard mil?

Mine was:

M-24 (Rem. 700 action)
    Custom flash hider (recoil also)
    Leopold M3 10X
    175gr .308

It's very good accuracy to about 600m, with it being accurate to about 900m max. Above that and you are shooting hail marry's.

I was supposed to get the new .338 but I finished my service before :( . Maybe there will be some in the reserves hopefully. :)

10. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Nice.:) I've never used the M-24.

Ye, i shudder at the thought of how much these kits must cost! Pelican cases, laser range finders,Anemometer, lovely drag-bag, sight, suppressors, rifle, mags, logbooks,very good cleaning wallet/stores.
    I wish i could buy one for myself:)

Oh It's a P4 mil-dot reticle. A little different if you check out the pics of it, but straightforward to range targets, and theres a neat little angle cosine indicator which makes life simpler.

As awesome as these rifles are. Im still more of a fan of the little L96A1's, quite rugged and allot easier to manoeuvre about with, like the M24 im guessing from the looks of it. I always feel uneasy using the .338, like im holding a priceless ming vase, don't want to bump it against anything.:p (they are pretty tough, but that's how i feel lol)

What .338 do the Israeli's use if you don't mind me asking?

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    H-S Precision Pro-Series 2000

From what I've heard, it seems to be a terrific upgrade from the M-24.

The M3 scope on the M-24 uses the P1 reticule, works well enough with practice. One thing I did wish the M-24 had was an external magazine, with the M-24 you still have to load each round individually into the internal mag (5) plus another one in the chamber. With enough practice it becomes fast enough.

The M-24 is strong, but you just have to treat the barrel like a baby and make sure it doesn't bang against anything unless you want to lose zero, same for the scope. Also from what I've heard, the M-24 rifle kit costs around $15,000 (!) alone. Rangefinders another $200,000+, then you have thermal scopes, etc. It is very expensive and delicate equipment to lug around.

Only problem I've noticed with the M-24 is that it has a habit of failing to extract an empty cartridge (which can lead to a double feed), in which case you have to empty out all your rounds from the magazine and only then can you fix it.

With the .338, what was your spindrift calculation? I remember the .308 being very sensitive to spindrift and wind. Also did you carry around a personal weapon (SA80?) or only the rifle?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  12. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    I sent the forms in for my Curio and Relic License a few days ago, my card was charged today. Can't wait to get it.

I also picked up a WWII German Mauser KAR98K 1940 it'll be in my hands in the coming week. :) I'll post pics when I get it.

13. FSPILOT

FSPILOT Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 SLI
    I have 4 firearms and more coming soon (dont tell my wife... :) ) I started with a mossberg 500 tactical for home protection. And then after a while the itch of shooting an m-16 came back from my army days. So i build the closest thing a civilian can. An M4 style AR-15 with a mid length gas piston system instead of the original direct impingement from the m-16/ar-15. Also went with a spikes tactical lower.

Here it is with some mods and a crappy red dot.

[​IMG]

Then i changed the handguard to a Magpul MOE and added some rails and a long range scope.

Here it is with the mossberg.

[​IMG]

then i bought a Ruger P95 as my first handgun.

[​IMG]

Now i finished the AR-15 with a cheek saddle and a "high end" Aimpoint clone from Vortex.

[​IMG]

Then i became interested in bullpup designs. I thought about buying the FS2000 or the Keltec RFB, but desided to go with the american made version of the AUG. The MSAR E4 chambered at 7.62x39. Sadly i'm having trouble finding 30 round mags for it, since it uses special AR-15 mags for that caliber and not AK-47 mags. here are some pics (one of them with a pmag 30 round magazine from my AR just for looks)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it has the scope ring on that last one, but i'm still waiting for a second Vortex to be delivered tomorrow to go to the range.

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    :)

Your setup looks very good, in fact I only have one comment on it.

Your rear scope magnifier, does it have a throw lever mount or screw mount?

If it isn't throw level, it should be so in case of a problem with the scopes. That way you can quickly throw off the scope and switch to the iron sights.

Otherwise it looks like a very stable setup, props!

15. FSPILOT

FSPILOT Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 SLI
    thanks for the comment.

It is a screw mount, but it is a "flip to side mount" similar to this one

I can just flip it to the side and flip up my iron sights in case my red dot malfunctions. I will post more pics later.

16. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    C-Products make them. Will these fit?

http://www.galatiinternational.com/...een=PROD&Store_Code=GIO&Product_Code=VV76239S

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Even better, good job.

I really like your setup since it seems more setup for work and less for the "tacti-cool" look common these days.

I remember some friends in the army going all tacti-cool and making their M4s weigh as much as a SAW (or Negev by us :) ). :bang:

18. FSPILOT

FSPILOT Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 SLI
  19. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    There's a rumor going around that C-Products is having financial troubles. Take it with a grain of salt though, it's just a rumor.

20. nicesunny

nicesunny Banned

GPU:
    ASUS/RampageII Extreme/6g
    Hope it not true. By the way, How about this Type 96 Black Airsoft Sniper Rifle UTG? Is it nice stuff to go with?