Fake facebook profile, what to do about it?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Aeny, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Aeny

Aeny Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6950>6970
    If posted in the wrong section, please move as I wasn't sure where to post this.

So.. small problem here.
    Someone made a fake profile on Facebook using my moms name.
    Multiple people already have reported is as fake about a month ago, but still Facebook did nothing whatsoever to take it offline.
    Mom even took it to the local police station where they couldn't help her either. (we got something called internet police?)

Now you might think "Meh a fake Facebook profile who cares", the problem here is that my parents are divorcing (more like fighting in court) and that a friend of my dad that happens to be a complete lunatic that is supposed to be locked away, made this fake profile.
    We're concerned that he'll do things with it & then is gonna use those in court to put my mom in bad situation.

Before you say such this is not possible, please keep in mind we're dealing with court in Belgium which consist of a bunch of donkeys generally.

Any suggestions to get this Facebook account taken offline?
    ~Aeny

2. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Grown adults are divorcing because of a web page?

Successful troll is successful.

3. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Apparently you didn't read the whole post, his Fathers friend set up the facebook page to try and cause trouble while they are going through the divorce.

You could always contact your mothers lawyer and tell the lawyer what your fathers friend is up to.

4. Aeny

Aeny Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6950>6970
    Unsuccessful reading is unsuccessful.

The divorce has been going for a few years. It's not about the divorce, it's about the FAKE Facebook profile. If I assemble a small army and make them all report the profile as fake, would that wake someone up at Facebook to actually look at it?

EDIT:
    Contact lawyer is added onto the to do list for tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011

5. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    lol wow... who cares about it - its a FACEBOOK page!!!!

really, it doesn't do anything and for someone to believe it either way has issues. This applies to employers whom go looking what people do on their own time... I hope the site dies soon!

6. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Personal Army request - DENIED.

I thought this whole story sounded weird.

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    One of the major reasons I'll never make a Facebook page. More trouble than it's worth to have one. If someone I care to speak too wants to contact me they have my phone number and/or email address. Alas we're living in an age where everyone is a socialite and feels the need for everyone to know where they are and what they're doing every waking moment of the day.

Hope your mother gets this sorted out, though if the Police wont help you surely they would have directed you to someone that can? I find it hard to believe they'll just blindly ignore someone that's impersonating another person - especially if he's showing her in such a negative light it could effect court proceedings.

8. Aeny

Aeny Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6950>6970
    It's not like I like Facebook either, I just have one because a friend made me one, but I never use it :stewpid: But I can't force my mother not to have one.

And for the "does nothing", Better be safe than sorry. If you know the court donkeys here.(they tried to take an UNSIGNED & TYPED letter as evidence, imagine what a bad looking Facebook page can do).

EDIT:

Don't take me wrong, I'm not trying to assemble a G3D Army or something, I just want to know if it would be effective before trying it(with a group of friends)

EDIT2:

They told her to use the report thingy over at Facebook.

9. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    hmm its facebook normally i would say who cares but seems most people are zombies and its theyre lives....

Report to Facebook is ur only way don't get the police involved seriously lol

10. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Redrum

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    defamation of character. it can be very damaging, more so if your famous or public figure or even end up being a public figure years later. Anyone looking for dirt for whatever reason will pull up FB quite quickly.

But even just socially, if you had a fake profile that made you out to be homosexual, your old school buddies looking ya up would be like ..*oh. It could even hurt your career even though i agree employers should not look or care about that info, reality is, they do.

12. Aeny

Aeny Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6950>6970
    The problem is not that my mom is on Facebook 24/7. The problem is that her friends add this fake profile and it just gives a wrong impression.

( EDIT1: ) +What F1refly said.

Also, I should've known better than to post this at a place where lots of people hate Facebook:bang:.

^ Most usefull post ever.

13. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1000/1150
    Dunno about Belgium but in America, using Facebook as a proof in court is possible so yea, it is sort of a big deal.

14. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I bet that Facebook has list of ip's which have been using that account. That would be something to show to court and prove it to be fake profile. But it still needs Facebook to actually give a **** about this situation (and if they did, they would remove the profile).

Still, best of luck!

15. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Facebook quotes have been used in court before during Divorce cases, was reading it in the news.

Couples saying nasty things about each other online etc

16. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    +1
    Search facebook for John Smith.. What do you think how many people with this name are on there.
    And, as long she has a record, that she was at the police station, and told them what happened, you have nothing no worry about..

17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Unfortunately in a court of law, you can't use digital evidence as it's very easily tampered with. So if this was brought in front of the court, it can only suggest things but cannot prove anything.

deltatux

18. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Ive had photos of me removed from peoples profiles on facebook by emailing facebook and demanding my photo be removed, and they have done it.

Just keep emailing them with threats of legal action

19. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    Facebook does not care... sorry for the woes it is causing your mom.

20. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    and if you get facebook to remove the profile, whats to stop the crazy guy from just making another? and another? isnt this a form of identity theft or something? harrasement?