Guitar Hero Axed by Activision

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by ViperXtreme, Feb 10, 2011.

1. HellsAn631

HellsAn631 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295 715/1250
    The biggest issue activision had with the guitar hero franchise is that they oversaturated the market with crappier versions of the product, not geared towards its audience, but the more cassual players. Sure that worked for sales numbers, but it ultimately lead to the downfall of the franchise. Thats like quake comming out with a new game, that isn't competitive, has some completely random elements to it, and is more like UT or black ops.

Guitar hero 2 and 3 were pretty much the peak of the games. Why? because the competitive community was able to flourish due to the amazing engine, and one could pull off some really awesome stuff.

Also, thats the last guitar hero that focused on just pure guitar and songs that were fun to play on the guitar. I was half expecting them to put in a few virtoso songs from the likes of Vai, Paul Gilbert, Joe satriani, etc, maybe do a G3 version of the game.

But instead, they decided to try and get more people and concentrate, not on what made GH great (like trying to find the best star power path on a map, on a difficult song), on something that most people that already owned the game, didn't care about. Sure a lot of people had fun at parties. But all the hardcore people that were actually good at the game, and that loved playing it, dissapeared. And it became more of a "fun thing to do at a party", and not something one did because they enjoyed the game itself.

2. demented brave

demented brave Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090
    I've never played a Guitar Hero game, but i do like the music editor in Mario Paint

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Damn, True Crime was a great series. Sure the second one was buggy as hell, but it was still a great game.

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Milked the cow a bit too much eh?

5. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X

Asian /.. forget Guitar Hero .... Bring on Karaoke Hero ... :)

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Guitar Hero3 on PC was great... if you could get it to work properly, it was heavily bugged.
    I cant play it at all now, crap coding.
    It worked really well with an X1800XT gfx card but was abysmally jerky with an 8800GT.

Then they stopped future PC versions so I dont give a rats arse that they went under.
    Their fault that it doesnt affect me :)
    Maybe they would have survived if they hadnt closed off their own market and if they learned to code lol.
    Darwyn candidate for companies?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011