Weird benchmarking result

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Moganza, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I dont understand why my Sandy Bridge Build is doing worse. Aside from hardware change i have also installed Windows 7 professional 64-bit OS. But could the change of OS overrule the change of hardware. Seems unlikely.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  2. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    your running emulated 32bit software on a 64bit os. could be 1 of the reasons.
    Also try the newest driver, 263 is a bit old.

What other things got changed? assuming theres new motherboard, memory and other things in the new setup?

Are you seeing worse performance over the board or is it just heaven ?

Also WTF is up with the huge text font, not to mention the messed up picture alignment, please fix the post up a bit.

3. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Lol, sorry it's a little better now.

Well my old specs are still on my profile.

I've only checked Heaven to be honest as its the first thing i've done because i was curious about the performance gain.
    The changes made are,

2500k processor,
    G.skill 4gb 7-8-7-24 1600mhz RAM
    P8P67 Pro,
    40gb SSD 285,275mb/s read and write

Those are the changes made. Nothing is a downgrade.
    Although i should note that i'm running windows on the SSD and the program off an internal HDD (Both benchmarks were on this HDD).

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Try running other benchmark apps....you really can't judge overall performance based on a single graphics benchmark app. Give 3DMark Vantage or 3DMark 11 a shot...

5. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    I ran 3DMark 11 and got these results.

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/486930

Not sure if its good or not. Also it gave me a message saying my Graphics driver isnt approved.

6. Helpful

Helpful Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Could you set your RAM to ~ 800MHz instead of 667MHz (1600 instead of 1333)

7. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    The RAM doesnt seem to be a problem. It really doesnt make sense to me. Look at these other benches i've taken.

http://3dmark.com/3dmv/2882740

Keep in mind these are at pretty low settings because i only have the trial version of 3D mark vantage. I will do a 3D mark 11 benchmark soon. I don't know what settings Guru3d use in their reviews,

8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    He doesn't have an Intel Itanium processor, so there's no emulation at all. People often confuse this, but x86-64 can switch to 32-bit on the fly without any performance loss. In fact, most 32-bit apps run on 64-bit Windows better due to better memory management.

deltatux

9. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    http://3dmark.com/3dmv/2882740

this is my 3dmark 11 benchmark results. again this is on basic edition settings.
    I'm fairly certain that my GPU is under performing. I've updated my GPU driver and still getting the same results. Is it possible to buy a faulty GPU that underperforms?

10. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Anyone at all?

Surely there must be a reason as to why its drastically worse now.

11. AMD4Sho

AMD4Sho Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Cuz it gots the aidz? There's sand in your processor, what?

Lol sry sometimes I laugh at misfortune (Except in my case), but seriously could it have something to do with that new recall on your MB?

12. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    What does 'recall' mean. I really don't understand why this is happening. It makes absolutely no sense. Also i'm not getting the fps scores i should be getting on the games I've been playing. I thought it may be the graphics card but after the change in my build I don't have a clue what the problem is anymore.

13. Wicky

Wicky Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    Just a wild guess - you aren't using the Sandy Bridge's onboard graphics right?
    Because Unigine might display just which card is plugged into PCIe slot, but internally use the graphic chip on your motherboard.

14. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    No lol, i'm pretty sure if it was using sandy bridge it would be a lot lower. I've been reviewing some benchmarks and i think my Gtx 570 may be performing correctly. For some reason it was on steroids or something in that benchmark i guess.
    Although when playing Fallout 3 and the witcher im getting sudden drops of fps that reach 37 Can anyone confirm this with me. is it ok to have a min fps of 37 when on max settings 1900x1080

15. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Oh and those fps are linked to Fallout 3

16. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    umm, that link takes me to a vantage score?

theres a glitch in 3dmark11 that happens for some people.

does your computer show a black screen right as the combined test is loading? some people experience this issue where for 20 seconds, you get a black screen, and then it starts rendering/displaying, but records the framerate for those 20 seconds as 0. this brought down my score with my 580sc a fair bit. i shouldve been scoring P6000 but instead i was struggling to stay above P5100.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The emulation is done by Windows using the "WoW feature"..aka "Windows32 on Windows64"....which does reduce performance...but not by nearly as much as Heaven is showing. I'd expect to see maybe a .1-.2fps loss due to it, at the most...

18. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    No i dont get any black screens, i just did another test and i got an even lower score on 3dmark11

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/579063;jsessionid=C0EED7AC09F78400749952F865968658?show_ads=true&page=/3dm11/579063%3Fkey%3DT9hCBFPWzsM0ju4hzzj7kH9qzPNb0E

I noticed that under 'physical/logical processors it says 1/4, does that mean only one core is doing something.

Also could someone with a similar rig show me their benchmarks or if someone could send me a link id really appreciate it.

thanks