Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by evilkiller650, Jan 30, 2011.

1. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    For the first time in my life, I got the chance to use a dirt bike. It was a friends. I really enjoyed it and was thinking of buying one. It was a small bike and 110cc. I got the hang of it really quickly and was outdoing my friends who've been doing it for a few months. The tires weren't thick and the ground was pretty much saturated with months worth of melting snow so it was slippery and the mud was deep in some parts so it felt pretty limited!
    Can someone recommend me a bike for beginners? I got told to go for a 125cc.

Thanks!

2. demented brave

demented brave Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090
    A 125 two stroke or a 250 four stroke are good places to start. I prefer the four strokes myself. What kind of bikes can you get over in Scottland? Are you looking for something used? I have been riding and racing dirtbikes for a couple of years and I love it. I am using a Honda CRF250 now, it is not a beginner bike, but you could always grow into it if you are serious about riding. Do you have any local racing events? European motocross tracks look very tough on TV but i'm sure they would be a blast.

3. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Doesn't seem to be many bike sites in the UK. I'd go for something used. I was looking at these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/125cc-NINJA-A...7583199?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item1c185932df
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Dirt-Trac...0168852?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3363f27f94
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-125cc-MXB...4329532?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item1c18c023bc

What's the difference between 2 and 4 stroke engines and what does it do?

I just want a bike so I can use it several times a week or weekly, just as a hobbie and wherever that'd take me!
    Thanks!

4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    2-stroke 125cc sounds good. Honda CR125, Suzuki RM125 and Kawa KX125 would be good options.

2-stroke = lower low rpm end torque, and more power at high rpm's.
    4-stroke = smoother power curve and more power at low rpm's, but that doesnt matter because on a dirt bike you will only use high rpm's.

250cc 2-stroke has about as much power at high rpm's as the 450cc 4-stroke.

2-stroke is a bit easier to fix or do the service it needs than 4-stroke, but you need to repair more often...

I have somewhat limited knowledge on these, you might be better reading few stickys on dirt bike forums and asking there, also about parts, service, all kinds of stuff.

5. Kwisatz

Kwisatz Guest

GPU:
    BFG GTX285 OCX 1024MB
    Hi evil,

if you're new to dirt bikes, you have probably to go for a 2 strokes 125cc, trust me, they don't need very much maintenance respect to 250cc 4 strokes. I've started with a ktm exc 125 that served me for 10 years and broked down just 2 times, it's an excellent score indeed. Now it's been 5 years I own a crf450r 4 strokes, and I'm just mad as hell for maintenance...I have to change back piston every 30 hours of power on, change oil every 500km....spark plugs every 2 hours...not worth the money. Go for a 125 2T and you'll probably never regret it.
    Remember it, the ktm exc 125 it's 44 HP....for 97 kg...I think it's the best choice.

sry for my bad english

6. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I love dirt bikes but couldnt have one unless I lived in a decently secluded place. They get stolen like hot cakes where I live.

7. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Ouch at the price of the bikes you guys are recommending me! I was hoping to get away with 300 to 500! :)

8. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    **** is cheap, better ones cost more. Havent heard much positive about those cheap one, not that I have heard much about those anyways, but still.

Friend used to have Huqvarna wr125 about 6 years ago, told me that it was a nice bike, I did not test that (and RM250 is the only dirtbike I have riden so cant comment that much about those).

Might be better to ask at some dirt bike forum ? Take a look at this:
    http://forums.dirtrider.com/69/64002/newbies/index.html

9. Ish

Ish Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    Here are my babies :)

[​IMG]
    Blue YZ250F/Green KX125

The four stroke is a beast!! YZ250F with high compression piston and head. ;)

I would go for a 2 stroke bike because the maintenance is cheaper and easier to work on.

But if you were extremely wealthy a 450cc four stoke engine is a very fun bike :nerd:

I weigh 125lbs 57kilograms so if you weight like me a 250 4stroke with be good. Or a 125 2t

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  10. Kwisatz

Kwisatz Guest

GPU:
    BFG GTX285 OCX 1024MB
    here's my crf450r (motarded for the city :cool:)

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2009-05-24

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

11. Kwisatz

Kwisatz Guest

GPU:
    BFG GTX285 OCX 1024MB
    btw if you're really thin as Ish, then you can take a look also for a ktm 80cc...just for save some moneys...7hp less than 125...but with 300-500 as budget I think you'll hardly find something

12. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    I'm around 200lb.
    I suppose buying one of the higher quality bikes is a better idea because even if I go for one of the cheap ones now, I'd be extremely limited in how often I can use it because the dirt track is 30+ miles away from where I live so hopefully by the time I can comfortably spend 1k+ on the bike, my mate will have the van he said he's getting!

13. Kwisatz

Kwisatz Guest

GPU:
    BFG GTX285 OCX 1024MB
    that's the better idea. Maybe if it will take some time take a look on the ktm 200 exc, tremendous value for money(easy as a 125, but stronger on low rpms)

14. Ish

Ish Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    Very nice bike.

I would kill myself on public roads.. I'll stick to the motorcross track. :p

15. joyride7

joyride7 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA
    @evilkiller, you may want to check www.realMotocross.com , its a social networking site exclusive for motocross enthusiast, you can ask for advice there as well, hope all of you guys sign up..hope this helps :)

ride hard
    www.realMotocross.com