HD 6950 + hdtv make temps rocket?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by BlackZero, Jan 27, 2011.

1. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Plugged in my HDTV via hdmi into my 6950 and straight away the card's voltage incresed from 0.9v to 1.0v and temps rocketed from around 40c to 60c while Idle? is this a software glitch?

2. dmitrice

dmitrice Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 8GB
    I hate that about recent ATI cards, multi monitor setup and HD playback seem to increase clocks(from 250c:150m to 500c:1375m) hence higher temps and power consumption. I like my card but because of this I'm thinking of switching to GTX580 since I leave my PC idle most of the time.

3. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    As noted the increased voltage and temperatures are due to increased clocks when running a multi-monitor setup.

It's a bother but it's not much you can do about it, save possibly force a lower-clocked profile.

Presumably the increased clocks are to combat flickering but I've never noticed that. *shrug*

4. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

That's a shame... so im looking at much higher power usage just because of an hdtv being plugged in. Let's hope it gets fixed soo and I'll just keep the second display disabled when not in use.

5. dmitrice

dmitrice Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 8GB
    The most annoying part is that the clocks don't go down after you disable the second monitor. Only a restart in single monitor configuration will ensure lower clocks in idle.

6. dmitrice

dmitrice Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 8GB
    I don't think they plan to fix it 'cause the 5800 exhibited the same kind of behavior.

7. dmitrice

dmitrice Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 8GB
    Apart from this I really like my card

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Mine seems to go back to default clocks/voltage on disabling second display, otherwise I believe you can use overdrive to set iy back to default. Yeah I really like the card so far.

9. dmitrice

dmitrice Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 8GB
    Mine doesn't go down to the 250/150, they get stuck at 500/1375. Overdrive doesn't go down to 250/150

10. gompa

gompa Guest

GPU:
    his 6950 cf
    are you sure its 1.0 v ? cause mine runs at 1.1 only going in uvd mode changes it to 1.0

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

My clocks and voltage with and without dual monitor support.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. cencsor

cencsor Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 6950 2GB
    Having the same issue with my card as well. Really annoying because if I forget to disable my TV display my temps can creep into the 100's, this is dependant on fan speed of course.

13. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    o_O That doesn't sound right regardless, you should never be hitting those temperatures!

I idle around 40C with just one display enabled but while adding one or two more does increase idle temperature, as well as ramp fan speed somewhat, I don't hit 100C even under full load. Or anything close to it at that.

14. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I agree with above poster, there's definately something wrong there, either your case needs better cooling or you have a bad card.