done with crossfire 5850

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by pmanipole, Jan 29, 2011.

1. pmanipole

pmanipole Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    i have tested these 2 cards as crossfire and i see 0% increase in fps. i ran
    the resident evil 5 bench mark with just one card it my fps was 58.2 in dx10. with crossfire it was 61.6fps.

this is bullcrap. i have tried all drivers with no difference. both cards are working and pulling a load. i just think that my mb will not run these cards in crossfire.

selling them for $160 each and going to get a 6950.

done with this crap

2. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    resident evil is a very CPU intensive game, you CPU is holding you back

pardon me..not really very CPU intensive but is CPU dependent

3. pmanipole

pmanipole Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    i should still get increase. also the same happens with PvsA

4. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    how is GPU usage?

5. pmanipole

pmanipole Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    runs about 50% for both gpus.

6. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    What about CPU usage?

7. pmanipole

pmanipole Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    usally around 50%

8. Kinfa

Kinfa Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX580 8GB
    Same in RE5, no crossfire FPS gain, but in Unigine bench single card 36 Fps avg, Crossfire 62 FPS avg. It seems all this CF troubles are drivers related. Some games CF works, others not. :puke2:

Try Unigine and you'll see, CF works at your motherboard. You can try Just Cause 2 benchmark (Dark Tower).

RE5 variabile bench works, 100 fps avg no CF, 137 fps avg CF (all max,8AA 1680x1050), fixed bench no gain.
    Try to unlock fourth core of your x3 processor. And what is your 3dmark 11 score? Mine is about 6100 points with graphic core 875/900 and memory 1100/1100.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Not all games utilise crossfire or sli to full potential,i have ati 5970 and i have no probs with crossfire,anyway whats wrong with 58.2fps
    Also your mobo only supports dual 8x pci-e lanes or 1 16x lane so your not getting full bandwidth for both cards

10. Kinfa

Kinfa Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX580 8GB
    Crysis Warhead bench Ambush 35 fps avg single card, 50 fps avg CF. (1680x1050, Enthusiast,dx10,8AA)

There is not significant bandwith loss with two x8 pcie lanes. This is not a problem. Which screen resolution you use for gaming?

11. bouf0010

bouf0010 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 DCII SLI - H2O
    ill buy one of your cards :) trifire here i come lol

12. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    your CPU is holding you back.

when i had my 5850x2 setup with my old 965be, i wasnt getting as much performance as i could have been. the bottleneck was severe enough to completely negate any performance increases from overclocking the GPUs.

when i upgraded to my 1090t and clocked it at 4ghz, there was lot more breathing room and it helped ease the bottleneck a bit, but only in some games. in games that only use 1-2 cores, the weaker per core/per clock performance of amd CPUs is severely limiting.

have you made sure cat ai is turned on and youre running things in full screen?

13. pmanipole

pmanipole Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    yeap. ai is set to advanced and everything is full screen

14. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Classic case of beeing cpu bound in a perticular title. Look at it from the bright side - RE5 runs good at around 50-60 fps and the 2nd card means you can add 8x or even 16x AA without much to any performance loss.

If you test Dirt2 bench, SC2, Bad Company 2 you will see the exact same thing as your seeing with RE5.

If you try crysis, crysis warhead, metro 2033..uhm batman aa..etc you will see that your CF scales well enough for it to be worth it even with a phenom II X3 cpu.

People need to realize that gpu x cpu + a = fps where a is the game title and x is the drivers. It varys alot from game to game the old days of people just throwing out some nonesense about how your running to low of a resolution is gone.

Your fps with a 6950 will not be higher in RE5 then with 2x 5850s keeping everything else the same, and it will be lower in games like crysis, metro2033 or any other future highly gpu dependant title.
    The cpu is what "packages" the data for the gpu to crunch, in some games that data flood is large in others its less, ultimatly deciding whether you will be gpu or cpu bound in whatever software 3d application you run.

Still 50-60 fps in RE5 is good since the game is horrible without vsynch ( imo :eek: atleast ).
    Just appriciate the higher aa levels you can now run instead of the potential 100+ fps you could have with a diffrent cpu wich would not be noticed anyway since you would have vsynch and tripple buffering on anyway ( i guess :)?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  15. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    I would check and make sure the "AMD PCI express filter driver" is current and listed in system devices, it's known to require a manual install if it's not listed.
    Also, if overclocking run a test with the standard setting.

It's not the cards, it's a hick-up in your system I think.

Bretware

Sever
    Maha Guru
    "when i had my 5850x2 setup with my old 965be, i wasnt getting as much performance as i could have been. the bottleneck was severe enough to completely negate any performance increases from overclocking the GPUs"

Nothing could be more true, with his 720, he's pulling a yacht with a Volkswagen

16. pmanipole

pmanipole Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    i looked for amd pci express filter in device manager and it is not there. cant find it on line either.
    maybe this is some of my problem

17. Kinfa

Kinfa Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX580 8GB
    Update last bios from Gigabyte and try to unlock fourth core if you already didn't. Set the cpu voltage up a little bit and cpu to 3.5 GHz.

18. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    I don't know what OS you have but I'm pretty sure the current South Bridge Driver is not installed on your machine, the standard default driver is.
    I can't remember what the default driver is called in device manager, "PCI bus" maybe? Someone else here may be able to tell you. If not post a picture of your system devices box.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/downloads.aspx

Motherboard/Integrated Video Drivers for your OS

"Optional Downloads" tab

South Bridge Driver

You can try the install program, but chances are you did already and it didn't take. You may need to do a forced manual install

19. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    hey my other PC is just about like yours so I do a bench and see what I get.

20. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    by the way which test and settings?