Q9550 to i5 2500k, would you do it?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by steven88, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    BFBC2 gets good gains going from a dual to a quad, so i imagine BF3 will have even greater gains.

It's hard to find a game these days that doesn't benefit from a decent quad, and there are a fair few game engines that love the newer Intel CPU's.

2. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    I'd take this guys advice in this case with an ocean of salt.

3. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    BC2 get insane gains from even going quad to i7, scary how much better the game runs for me now compared to on my Q9450 @ 3.8.

Went from 30-65 fps on 24 ppl servers ( on some maps was more like 45-90 though depending on how much of the destruct enviroment they held ) to 115ish-190 fps on 32 ppl servers no matter what map. I mean that is just a rediuclous increase.

4. Hekynn

Hekynn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 1gb MSI HAWK
    I'm going for the Core i5 2500k this summer after I get my 460 next month. The reason is better and easy to use BIOS or UEIF so I can easily OC my future cpu since its a better price than the Core i7 2600k.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, and while im not much of a fan of the game, i have spent time on it analysing it from a technical point of view, and the heavy physics and dedicated thread/core for high quality audio shows that maxing the game on a dual, just won't happen, no matter the GPU.

6. steven88

steven88 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 570 Superclocked
    how do you know? BF3 isn't even out

and I'm not sure what you are talking about in regards my 4ghz LGA q9550....I personally upgraded to i5 2500k now at 5ghz....If I DOWNCLOCKED my i5 2500k to 4ghz (to match my q9550) it would STILL run faster....I personally tried it....you can take two quad cores and run them at the same frequency....does that mean they will perform the same? Most likely not....why? Because 2500k runs on a much improved architecture!

7. steven88

steven88 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 570 Superclocked
    I will attest to this....I came from a wolfsdale E8400 at 4.0ghz (dual core) to a yorkfield Q9550 4.0ghz (quad core) and noticed a HUGE FPS jump...without even changing my video card

for anybody who is planning to make the plunge to sandy bridge...i'd say do it....the cost isn't even much....Micro Center has some sick deals for 2500k, especially if you pair it up to a motherboard....

P8P67 Pro and 2500k....I'm at 5ghz at 1.5 vcore...STABLE! Yes, I'm running a Noctua NH-D14 cooler...which is supposedly the best air cooler out...so plan on getting some high end cooling if you want to run 1.5V

I tested a cooler master hyper 212+ with push pull...it could NOT handle 1.5 vcore...temps got into the 80's....so I swapped out to a noctua nh-d14...I plan to run a 3rd fan on it...I heard it drops 1-2C further same clocks....it's not much, but I need every little I can get especially it gets hot for me during summer (my room is like a little oven)

If you are still running on LGA775, please do yourself a favor and get a 2500k.....its a NICE bump in performance....avg overclocks out there are in the 4.5 to 4.8 range....better cooling, you're looking at 5ghz or higher....I can't comment too much if you already have a 1366 or 1155....because I heard the architecture is still very good from those LGAs....but its definitely a big bump going from 775 to 1155

8. ivan.winata

ivan.winata Guest

GPU:
    GTX2080Ti Zotak
    Double the fun! I just ordered my new 2500K kit :banana:
    Can't wait till it arrive!

9. The Comfy Chair

The Comfy Chair Guest

GPU:
    ATi HD5870 @ 1000/1250
    Same here ivan! By the looks of it we're pretty much in the same boat with regards to the upgrade!