6950 BIOS Unlocking (At Users Risk)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by davetheshrew, Dec 26, 2010.

1. dulemk

dulemk Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950
    So any news here, why I can't change the voltage at all, I tried couple of methods and nothing. Voltage wont budge a mv :bang:

I tried changing VID3 and VID4 in RBE,

use MSIA with the "VDDC_VT1556_Default = 9A 5C 9B 80" in that cfg file, found that I have 1.065v under the voltage and try to change it.

I just have moded shaders with wizz app, no rbe usage.

2. Dracozirion

Dracozirion Guest

GPU:
    ATI Club3D 6950 2GB
    God sake can't get past 900/1400. Neither with 1.2V on VID4. Would the +20% on the PC setting make any difference in OCing?

3. dulemk

dulemk Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950
    Flash problem

I tried with changing the vendor from my sapphire bios to assus via rbe in sub vendor ID field, to unlock via smart doctor additional overclocking room.

And than I flashed it to my card(using winflash by cmd).
    First the driver was not recognized, but after the second boot it was ok(gpuz check).
    I tried to use 3D to test, but there were all over the place artifact(cube like, about 0.5mm) in multiple benchmarks.

Than I tough that I need to reinstall the driver, but did not help that.
    Than i just flash the card with original assus bios, and it was the same.

So now I'm back to my original unlocked sapphire bios:bang: , no artifact fortunately.

So what is going on?, can someone response please.

4. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    I find this very strange, also slightly coincidental that most people with these exact problems come from the same card, pretty weird the bios is the same in all vendors but vid4 is different in the sappy, obviously I dont have a card to test and I must admit Ive never really used many bioses other than variations of either ASUS or HIS bios'es.

Il have a stab tomorow when Im fresh faced and may ask for a little help off peeps for the root of why the sappy VID is different in RBE and also why vid3 is seems a bit weird also in comparison to VID4 and try to help getting a fix out, If worse comes to worse though mate Ive got a sneaky suspicion that sapphire actually got the worst (non functional shader) chips.

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Just finished testing my xfx hd6950 after flashing to an xfx hd6970 bios from tp.

[​IMG]

ps. I was getting strange core clock fluctuations while testing in furmark until I raised the power setting to +20.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011
  6. mandrake_

mandrake_ Guest

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire HD6950 2GB
    Hello

Post number 1, just signed up to say thanks for the info, and that my sapphire 6950 has been fine with the new bios after 2 days of solid playing.

7. Roberto Blanco

Roberto Blanco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon RX580 8GB
    I went back to my original BIOS with max OC in Catalyst which is 840/1275. I`m tired of trying... LMAO . Tried different bios version and the card is fine in 2-3 games, but then i find one in which is getting stuck. I`ll leave it 6950 and enjoy it ! Good Luck to you all and Have Fun with modding!

8. Restricted

Restricted Guest

No. The CCC Power Control setting has nothing to do with voltage, but the amount of power going through.

9. dulemk

dulemk Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950
    RBE voltage

I found that my voltage is actually the vid3, but for some reason sapphire bios can't increase the voltage at all.
    So now I use assus bios.

One strange thing i notice is that if i use 1.15v on vid3 i have small amount of artifact for the first seconds in 3d, and after that it is all ok.

Than i'v tried 1.175, and i notice that i had more artifact and lasts more seconds(about 10-15), and than everything is clear again.

But if i try 1.2v i have lots of artifact and i did not waited long enough to clear, but my prediction is that they will to clear eventually.

So is this normal?? Does voltage need to lie down somewhat, so i wait for the artifact to run out, or my core voltage just wont work(1.2v is not a problem for all others cases that i know).

I use 11.1 hotfix.

10. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    flash to normal and if it still artifacts rma it, its not normal for a card to do that, unlucky mate.

11. dulemk

dulemk Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950
    In my country for you to rma your card it has to not work at all.

At stock for example is working fine, so..

So who to ask to get accurate expert opinion???

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  12. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    If you can show it artifacting in anything without the shaders unlocked then that would come under the 'does not work at all' criteria in my book, a defective card is a defective card, your seller cant sugar coat that FACT, IMO your seller has a very bad business ethic. If I sold you a crap card unlocked or not Id replace it and hope you buy off me again.

I would Scrape a resistor with a scalpel a few times and kill the biatch without detection, Id never recommend this and Im not putting a gun to your head to do this Im just telling a story.

13. dulemk

dulemk Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950
    In fact the seller has best ethic that you can get in my country.

But if at stock voltage 1.1v it is ok they wont rma the card.

14. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    id wait until they release toxic edition bioses etc, should work then mate with a bit of luck.

15. dulemk

dulemk Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950
    Thanks for your effort mate, i realy appreciate it.:)

I now flash back to my original 1408 shader 6950 bios that i take from gpuz and keep it from day one.

And now apparently MSIA voltage works, so i try to raise just the voltage(clocks stays the same 800/1250).

And the same f*ing thing happen.

So now I try to find the lowest visible artifact showing with lower voltage.
    Up till now i find that i have some artifact showing at 1.12:puke2:

So now I'm kind of hoping at 1.1v the artifact to appear so i could rma the card:bang:

One more thing i will try before i give app and use only unlocked bios at 840/1300 with 1.1v is to change the driver at 10.12a
    I read somewhere that 11.1 or 11.1 hotfix render some errors on some cards, so i will try that and post here.

Edit:

Here is the same thing happening
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=31163243

16. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    they really should rma it, if your happy its a fuxxed card then try finishing the job, do a burn in test like crysis bench totally maxxed looping that lets it artifact nicely for a few hours with 5% fan, Id do it personally but your choice.

17. dulemk

dulemk Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950
    Sorry for double post.

I'v tried 10.12a, and now i know that i did not have luck with this card, i just cant increase the voltage at all.

So now i'm using my bios just unlocked at 840/1325 and i'm quite happy with this setup, so for the further notice i officially give up.

18. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    got a saphire 6950 yesterday and I even did not test the card as original but went directly to flash with a msi 6970 bios... unlocked perfectly but can not go past 925/1325 with the msi bios and voltage set as high as 1.285 in afterburner... can anyone suggest which would be the most recomended 6970 bios

19. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    izizog, pm me your email il send you my bios,

@everyone else
    cards up for sale in guru3d only :)

20. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    I just want the best original bios with highest O/C limit... do not want to use a modified bios... is your bios modified?