How do I know if I have just bought a K Sandybridge?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by HonoredShadow, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    The 2500k is £184 at ebuyer.com

I've never been a fan of Overclockers prices to be honest. I think they are one of the most expensive retailers

2. lil chris

lil chris Member Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 7950PCS+
    It was £172.79 at scan this weekend(today only offer) now they have stock

3. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    That is a good deal. My problem with Scan is their compulsory £8 minimum delivery fee which is also charged VAT

4. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    good look trying to change your chip with ocuk.

5. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I'm not changing the chip. I'm sending back the mobo as its DOA.

6. lil chris

lil chris Member Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 7950PCS+
    Yes Know what you mean,thats why unless I have some time off work I tend not to use them mailorder.Im lucky I dont live too far away from them only trouble is I hate queing,I usually use q-collect.

7. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Well the 2500 (non K) is working fine. On my mobo I have speed options that consist of 3 basic options for overclocking (i think). I have energy safe mode, normal and performance (shows a dial at min, med, max (on fire)).

I switched it to max performance. Then turned off EPS (?) I think its called for energy saving and turned up the CPU fan to performance and restarted the machine. Idle CPUid shows 1648.3 now and that fluctuates to 4120.9 when the processor does something a little taxing.

So does this mean I have used the default mobo settings to OC this non K processor? I don't know what the default clock is for it but I don't think its 1648 and 4120.9!

Any ideas or tips?

Thanks,

Sy.

EDIT: Also how could I tell what the processor is running at while gaming? Surely if I minimise the game or something the processor will go back to 1.6. Will try something in a window I think...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011