VelociRaptor or Regular HDD for *home* server?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FTProtocal, Jan 21, 2011.

1. FTProtocal

FTProtocal Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GF GTX 580 SLi
    Hello,

I'm setting up a server to LAN host UT3 and L4D2, and for file sharing between friends that come over, and other computers that are part of our house's 'network'.

So I have an 80GB VelociRaptor that I'm not using anymore and I'm just wondering if there's any real benefit of using it over a standard 7200RPM HDD in terms of dedicated gaming server (the file server will be on a 7200). I'm gunna set it up on Windows Vista Home x64 (only license I have free atm) and I figure it should out perform the 7200?

The other specs in the system are:

Pentium D 840 (3.2)
    4GB DDR2 667RAM

So with those in mind, would I be bottlenecking the performance of the Raptor?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    hmm.. if it's just a 'b.s.' server with nothing of consequence on it, just use whatever is laying around.

Otherwise, get 2 drives of common size (1tb), and mirror them. That way you will have some reliability.

-scheherazade

3. FTProtocal

FTProtocal Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GF GTX 580 SLi
    i'd love to raid them, but the mobo doesn't support raid :(

p35 neo-f

4. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    You could just use something like robocopy.
    Simply schedule a regular timed event in control panel to run the clone, to keep the second disk auto-cloned.
    You don't need to actually raid to have redundancy.

-scheherazade

5. FTProtocal

FTProtocal Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GF GTX 580 SLi
    ahhh, that's a great idea!

thanks for the advice, i'm gunna grab that right now.

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Use whatever you have. I run my home server in a virtual machine.

However, I'm not a fan of Windows servers as they have a GUI which adds more security problems, and adds more performance over head.

I'd just run your server as a Linux box and both UT3 and L4D2 have Linux versions for servers.

You also save your license for other better uses too.

deltatux

7. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    Your not going to bottle neck your Raptor, if that is all you need space wise, than go for it. Having said that, if you need more space and durability, the Samsung F3 or WD Black Drives are hard to beat for the price.

8. FTProtocal

FTProtocal Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GF GTX 580 SLi
    Unfortunately I don't know anything about Linux. I have tried Ubuntu a few times and it's not that difficult to pick up. That being said I've got my Vista box all setup now, and things are moving along well-enough ... So maybe in the future when I have some more time I'll dig into Linux.

Would you recommend the Ubuntu server?

The Robocopy feature I'm just starting to learn/implement, so that and some weird disconnect issues on the L4D2 portion are my tasks this evening!

9. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    windows can make software raid1. No need to be supported.

Altho if you make it you can only have one OS and maybe only works with windows?

10. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    It can do software RAID 0 as well.

In Vista it used to be a bad idea but in 7 Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate it's safe and sound.

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Yep, Ubuntu Server is a great server distribution. I use it a lot for school work, it beats Fedora for sure.

Linux isn't that hard to learn if you take the time to learn and read the documentation. Knowing Linux (or other UNIX) is a good thing to know since they're literally everywhere from cell phones to routers to computers. Heck, my router runs DD-WRT which is a router firmware running a Linux kernel.

deltatux

12. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

uNix ftw :D, my whole OS is unix transformed..